Triumph Tiger Keetec Ts Moto Alarm Cannot Disable

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by RiderKV, Aug 18, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. RiderKV

RiderKV New Member

Aug 18, 2019
    Latvia
    Hello,

I have Triumph Tiger 800xc (2011y) with attached alarm Keetec TS MOTO. The bike is second hand and the alram already was there when I bought the bike.

The problem:
    once turned the key, the alarm starts to chirp and I cannot disarm it.

How it happened:
    I was driving through sandy roads and few times during the trip chocked the engine (I mean, released the cluck too fast). In one moment after chocking, the power completely disappeared (turned the key, but nothing happened - the bike didnt react). I removed the battery to check isnt there any sands, then put it back and the bike started. Afterwards took a stop for some 30min and when wanted to continue driving couldnt start the bike again (again issue with power). And again removed the battery and put it back. This time after turning the key (without starting the engine) appeared the issue mentioned above - the alarm started to chirp and I couldnt deactivate it. And if the alarm is on, I cannot start the engine.
    I had a guess that the battery is low, recharged it, however that didnt solve the problem.

Here is what I have noticed and tried so far:
    1) Once I turn the key, all lights and display goes on as expected.
    Update: noticed that it doesnt show the gear (all time shows 0) anymore and the green light that indicates the bike is in neutral doesnt appear even the bike is in neutral. After turning the key the alarm starts to chirp, turning indication lights flashes together with it
    3) I try to disarm it with the remote, but when I press the disarm/unlock button, nothing happens. The cirping continues. I also tried the second remote. Only way to shut it up is to turn the bike off.
    4) there is a small red buld near seat (as part of the alarm). When the bike is off and I press alarm/lock button on the remote, the bulb flashes slowly (~1x per sec). If I press disarm/unlock button on the remote, the buld starts flashing very fast.
    5) also noticed that if it the alarm starts to chirp and I press the lock/arm button it shuts up for ~1min (this is the functionality of the Keetec alarm). So there is a reaction to the remote.
    6) Checked fuses as well. Also pluged out the 5A alarm fuse (the one that is attached to the alarm, not the one from fuse box). In this case when I turn the key, the alarm doesnt chirp anymore. However I cannot start the bike, there is no reaction to the start button (I guess the term is "the alarm has imobilized my bike"). So I assume that just by removing the alarm will not fix my issue. I have to disarm it to enable the engine.

From the manual of the Meetec TS moto alarm.
    EMERGENCY OVERRIDE
    In arming mode or motorcycle-jacking mode, if transmitter is failed or lost, please refer to following step for Emergency Override: Turn key to ON/OFF 5 times within 10 sec and stay in ON position, LED shine for 2 seconds, then turn acc off, after LED start flashing, after 1st digit of PIN code turn ACC ON, after ACC OFF, LED start flashing for 2nd number of PIN code. Together with 4 digits which need be correct. Siren will chirp 4 times, parking light will flash 4 times to indicate the system is disarmed.

Also took a look into manual. The chapter above is about how to disarm the alarm without the key. However the charper is not very understandable and well structured (at least for me). Here are some points that are not clear to me:
    1) Turn key to ON/OFF 5 times within 10 sec and stay in ON position
    So is it On-Off-On-Off-On ??
    2) LED shine for 2 seconds, then turn acc off
    What is the ACC button? Cruise control? My tiger doesnt have crusi control at all.
    3) after LED start flashing, after 1st digit of PIN code turn ACC ON
    Also I do not undestand how to enter the PIN (I assume it is the default 4321). After I turn that ACC button off, do I have to count times of flashes of the LED (I gues the red buld mentioned above)? And number of flashing times will be the entered PIN and by switching ACC to ON and back to OFF I confirm that I hve entered the number?

Could you please help me with some advice how to solve the problem.

2. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    Sveiki RiderKV, and welcome in :cool::cool:
    I can't help I'm afraid but I'm sure someone will be able to very soon ;);)

3. D'Ecosse

D'Ecosse Senior Member

Jun 23, 2019
    CA, USA
    I had a quick read of their manual on-line
    That manual is what we call Chinglish - Chinese/English - it's not as bad many I've seen but sometimes the instructions are difficult to interpret even for native English speakers!!
    Well, here's the main problem - that is a generic after-market CAR alarm
    And only who-ever installed it knows what the pin code is (if manual says the default is 4321, you may be lucky and it wasn't changed) or how to actually enter that! and it does not specify how to input the code - with other functions it appears to be pressing a button on the remote; there is no ACC on your bike (nor per their wiring diagram a connection anyway!!!) - so imagine it must just mean turning ignition off/on again
    As to the 5 times, as said, per the Chinglish, that could be be either way - as you suggest On-Off-On-Off-On ....or it might mean Off-on (5 times) then on! That might be hard to do in 10 secs so it might be the first one - you will just have to try both and see which is successful,
    Honestly, I would advise just to get rid of it altogether - your Tiger has a built-in factory immobilizer anyway!
    There are two Yellow/Green wires from that alarm system - you need to find where these were tied into the bike wiring - it would have been a single wire that had been cut and the cut ends connected to each of those two yellow/green wires; remove the yellow/green wires and connect the two cut ends back together. Everything else can just be disconnected.
    Good Luck!!

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. RiderKV

RiderKV New Member

Aug 18, 2019
    Latvia
    Thanks for the answers.

Today I tried to enter the PIN as you suggested (also contacted Keetec support and they explained me that procedure more detailed), however without any success.

One thing this time was differen: after the key was turned ON and the alarm started to chirp: when I turned the key OFF it didnt stop and continued to chirp. I shut it up only by pulling out the 5A fuse from the alarm (not from the fuses box).

As D'Ecosse suggested, I removed the alarm completely. The two yellow-green wires indeed were connected to one single wire: the wire was cut and it ends connected to each of those two yellow-green wires. So I removed them and connected the ends back together.

However the engine cannot still be started. If I turn the key ON, press the clutch and press the start button, the bike doesn't react. Basically it is the same problem as it was before, except that there is no alarm that chirps and no more turning indication lights flashing (they were flashing when the alarm was chirping). Also checked that the turning indication lights are working.
    The bike still doesnt show the gear. And if it is in neutral, the green light doesnt shine. There are no other warning lights shining (except the ABS).

Could it be that if the engine has been immobilized by alarm, the only way how to de-immobilize is by having the alarm attached? I doubt, but would like to hear your opinion.
    My guess: the bike doesnt recognize the key (as I understand, the key has a chip that the bike should recognize before to start engine). If so, is there a way, how could I "synchronize" the key?

Any other comments, guesses of the problem and/or suggestions?

• Like Like x 1
  5. D'Ecosse

D'Ecosse Senior Member

Jun 23, 2019
    CA, USA
    The Neutral Light being off is one of two things:
    a) Ignition circuit is not active
    (is the oil light on? Do the gauges sweep?)
    b) the Neutral/Gear switch is bad
    (if not in Neutral the starter will not activate - however if you raise the side-stand, the Neutral Switch is no longer in play)

Where was alarm originally connected?
    Was it into the OEM alarm connector?
    Is that connector still present or was it cut off?
    The OEM alarm connector normally has two bypass wires on it - if the after-market unit was wired into this connector you may need to restore those links (one is for the ignition circuit and one is for the starter circuit)

The OEM system indeed has an immobilizer off the key chip - do you know if this is original key-switch/Key combination?

Has the bike been running since it has been in your possesion, or did you acquire it in non-running state?

• Like Like x 1
  6. RiderKV

RiderKV New Member

Aug 18, 2019
    Latvia
    Hi @D'Ecosse (and everyone else :) ).

Sorry for late reply. Only today got time for the bike.

is the oil light on? Do the gauges sweep?
    yes the oil light is on (the red one). Sidenote: the oil level is till max sign (anyway, might bit too much, but as I was told, the light shows not the level, but the pressure and he engine is started, the oil pressure is ok). The light disappears when the engine got started. Anyway, this is another story should or shouldnt I reduce the oil level a bit.
    Back to main problem. Wanted to mention that also the ABS light (the orrange one) is on when I turn the key (visible till I start to drive).
    When I turn the key, the gauge (the arrow that shows rpm) goes to max and then comes back to zero (hopefully I have understand correctly the term "gauges sweep").

Where was alarm originally connected?
    Was it into the OEM alarm connector?
    Is that connector still present or was it cut off?

The two yellow-green wires of the alarm were connected to this "small black box with two wires": http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd88/PeirreOBollox/sprint ST/Datatool alarm plug/P1050006.jpg
    If I understand correctly, this is the OEM alarm connector.
    One of the black wires was cut and two yellow green wires of the attached alarm were connected to each of the wire end.

Then the alarm had yellow wire. In the manual, in chapter "installation guide" there is a wiring schema. There it says YELLOW IGNITION (and there is also some simbol next to the text that I do not recognize)). This yellow wire was connected to white-red wire of the bike.
    And the alarm had also red wire and orange wire (the red one comes out of 5A fuse of the alarm). The manual says "Red +12V" and "Orange lamp input +12V") They were both connected to a black wire of the bike. The black wire is besides to the white-red wire.
    Perhaps I have not disconete these three wires correctly. Because now the bike has two wires - the red-white and the black one - that are not connected to anywhere. If you understand about which wires I am talking about (let me know, if any pictures needed to understand), could you confirm that they are ok and shouldnt be e.g. connected to each other?

The alarm had some other wires (alarm led, rear turning indication lights) connected to the bike as well, that I just disconnected. About them I am sure that I disconnected them correctly.

you may need to restore those links (one is for the ignition circuit and one is for the starter circuit)
    Do you mean just to connect back these black wires (already done)? Can you give me some instrucions how to do this? At least some keywords what to put in google/youtube?

The OEM system indeed has an immobilizer off the key chip - do you know if this is original key-switch/Key combination?
    No, I dont have any info about this. Just can tell that there is Triumph logo on both keys.

Has the bike been running since it has been in your possesion, or did you acquire it in non-running state?
    If you mean, have I ride the bike after bought it, then yes - ) have been riding with it ~1500-2000km (around 4 months).
    Also contacted to the previous owner about this issue. He told the alarm was already there when he bouth the bike (I am third owner of the bike). And the only problem with the alarm he experienced was when the main fuse was blown, because of sands and water got there (my last ride also was thrugh sands and afterwards there were bit rain as well). But he told he had some other things not working as well (dont remember exactly what kind of). Anyway, gonna check it as well. Can you advice me where this fuse is located? Does it look like other fuses, just bit bigger? Tried to google, but at first try I dont find it. Only understood that this is a 30A fuse.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Doc Strange

Doc Strange Senior Member

Aug 8, 2019
    UK
    Alarms and immobilisers are the Devil's work!

I've never heard of anyone having their bike saved by one but the world is awash with tales of the problems they cause.

At the first hint of problems, I have them properly removed from any bike I own. My quality of life has improved since applying this policy.

DS

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. D'Ecosse

D'Ecosse Senior Member

Jun 23, 2019
    CA, USA
    Yes, that is the OEM alarm connector and per your previous reply, you re-connected those two ends of cut black loop back together - so this part is complete.

I need to know where these wires (the black and the white/red) are located on the bike - I believe these are likely the wires to the start switch - possibly connected at the connector that goes to the right side bar switch assembly?
    Take a picture please of that location where the disconnected wires are.
    These are for the starter to operate.
    Black wires are normally Negative (ground) on the bike - however this is complicated because ALL the wires on the Alarm connector (and where they route to) are Black (this is for security reasons) - I think the Black that was being used is indeed the one that is going to the right switch connector - this wire would be +12V when the Key is turned on. (however that would be a very strange place to connect these - should be a CONSTANT 12V supply)
    The white/red wire on the bike is the one that is +12V when the starter switch is pressed. This is the only white/red circuit on the bike, so it has to be that.
    If I am correct in my understanding of how this was connected it is a VERY strange way to do this (and not just 'strange', incorrect!)

(you have said red-white this time but I think you mean white/red again - important to identify correctly - red/white is red with a white stripe; white/red is white with a red stripe)

This is almost certainly your issue - the white/red and the black wires cannot be simply disconnected, NOT must they be connected together! There MUST be a mating wire for these to re-connect to - look around the area where these wires are to see if you can find the mating end. Once you find them, re-connect accordingly - white/red to white-red and black to black but NOT all together!

• Like Like x 2
  9. RiderKV

RiderKV New Member

Aug 18, 2019
    Latvia
    In the attachment there are pictures (taken from the left side of the bike).
    1st picture
    1.jpg
    shows that the yellow wire of the alarm was connected to the white-red (yes, white wire with red line). And the red and orange alarm wires were connected to the black wire (no worries about the lack of isolation. Removed it just for the picture).

2nd picture (2.jpg)
    2.jpg
    shows that the both bike wires (white-red and the black one) goes somewhere under the fuse boxes.

I didnt notice any other disconnected white-red and black wires near by, however gonna check again. .

10. RiderKV

RiderKV New Member

Aug 18, 2019
    Latvia
    As I checked:
    1) these two wires goes under the fuse box. Perhaps even inside. At least I cannot identify, where they continues.
    2) I dont see other disconnected wires in that area. Actually, I dont see any other wires there at all.

Just found a wiring diagram:
    http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d174/CarlT100/wiringtiger800.png
    http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d174/CarlT100/wiringtiger800key.png

Indeed it seems that the white-red whire cannot be simply disconnected. It connects the start switch, the Starter Relay and the Starter Solenoid. I guess, I should somehow identify to which of the the wire is not connected. Then I have to understand what is the Starter Relay and Starter Solenoid (how they look and what they do).

But what regards to the black wire - from the diagram I see that it connects the starter switch and the Alarm. But if there is no alarm, couldnt the wire be just disconnected?

• Like Like x 1
  11. D'Ecosse

D'Ecosse Senior Member

Jun 23, 2019
    CA, USA
    The part missing from the schematic is that jumper block that connects to the alarm block - it connects pins 1 to 2 and 3 to 5 together; (these jumpers are not shown on the main schematic, but they MUST be in place in order for bike to run); so the black wire circuit between the start switch and pin 5 is also connected to pin 3 of the alarm; then you will see that pin 3 connects up to the common brown/pink line (at the fan relay but is common to many other components); this brown/pink circuit is supplied when the ECM relay is closed and is originally supplied by Fuse 4.

Here's something you can try -
    Turn on ignition and Kill/Run switch to Run
    Measure voltage on the black wire -
    a) This SHOULD be +12V (measured with respect to other probe on the battery negative) - if you do get +12V, then indeed is likely that wire that originates at pin 5 of alarm jumper
    b) If a is NOT +12V, then measure with the black probe on the black wire and the red probe on the battery positive - if you NOW get 12V, that says the black wire is a ground wire.

IF you get a) then try touching the black wire and the white/red wires together - I believe the starter should run if you then pull the clutch lever.
    You cannot leave it like this, but it will help to positively identify the wires within the system are indeed those going to the start switch.

• Like Like x 1
  12. RiderKV

RiderKV New Member

Aug 18, 2019
    Latvia
    At the end I gave up and took the bike to the service. Turned out that one of the previous owners had customized the wires in his own way. As the guy from the service told, there were some wires connected incorrectly (including the alarm was not connected correctly) as well some redundant wires.

Anyway, thank you for the help. And have a good day!

• Like Like x 2