Triumph Thunderbird Sport - Fuel Tap

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by curlywurly, Mar 9, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. curlywurly

curlywurly Member

Mar 9, 2021
    Oklahoma
    Hi.

I have a 1998 Thunderbird Sport which I've owned for about 10 years, but for the last couple of years I haven't found time to ride, but now that has changed! :)

One problem I have is that the fuel tap/petcock leaks from the tap lever part, it doesn't seem to be from the joint to the tank - where can I get a replacement from in the USA?

I have looked at Pingel, but all the different part numbers and type got confusing, any help there would be appreciated.

I also remember reading some place that Yamaha model may work as well, but can't remember the the model number.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Erling

Erling Elite Member

Dec 12, 2017
    Norway
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. joe mc donald

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Curlywurly
    Do show us a picture. I think I may have a spare tap in my garage somewhere and if it looks the same i will drop it in the post to you.
    Joe.

• Like Like x 1
  4. curlywurly

curlywurly Member

Mar 9, 2021
    Oklahoma
    Couple of pics.

tbs-fuletap1.jpg

tbs-fuletap2.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  5. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    I see its the same part number for early carbed Bonnie's and Thruxton too .
    I know you're in the USA bit I looked on fowlers UK site to check but its on back order anyway.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. joe mc donald

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Curlywurly
    Yes I got a tap just checked it to your pictures. Use the private message and let me have your address and I will post it to you.
    Joe.

• Like Like x 1
  7. curlywurly

curlywurly Member

Mar 9, 2021
    Oklahoma
    Thanks Joe, I've pm'd you, or "Started a conversation" as they call here I believe.

I really appreciate this, if I can return a favour in some way let me know.

I did read that you can sometimes repair a leaking fuel tap by taking it apart and use a piece of rubber inner tube to make a new seal.

8. curlywurly

curlywurly Member

Mar 9, 2021
    Oklahoma
    I was looking through my notes, and found this note I made.

Suzuki RGV250, outlet might have to be re-orientated, Kawasaki Zephy 750/GT750 should fit as well.