Triumph Thunderbird Commander Indicators

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by TBPaul, Apr 16, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. TBPaul

TBPaul Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Edinburgh
    Baffled. Was checking headlights for a possible connection to link my satnav. Long story short there wasn't one. Re-instated everything only to find nearside front indicator not working. Checked swapped bulbs, bulbs ok. Change over Indicators to find and found nearside working with offside indicator. Thought a wire may have slipped on connection block so secured. Refitted & found nearside front off again & offside front & back now not working at all. Also when you switch indicators on the light in the dash only comes on when indicating left. HELP. I'm away on friday on a ferry & need the bike.

2. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Sounds like you've reconnected something incorrectly. Go back in and see what could be wrong. Use a meter to check what plugs have an output when you switch indicator on, etc.
    Wouldn't have thought it possible, usually use different shaped plugs for different functions, but does sound like it. Google and find a wiring diagram to help.

• Like Like x 1
  3. TBPaul

TBPaul Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Edinburgh
    It's impossible to plug it back wrong. I disconnected connector blocks & they can only go in one way. I might change them over & try that but at present they are in the way they came out. I though I'd maybe nipped a wire but with the offside working on the nearside I though it could only be the connector block. Now the offside isn't working at all I'm baffled.

4. TBPaul

TBPaul Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Edinburgh
    I have now disconnected both front indicators. Now both rear are flashing in quick mode. When i connect the nearside front it doesn't work but both rear do. When i connect the offside front only the nearside back works and you only get the indicator flashing on the speedo when indicating left. Bugger all when turning right. This sucks

5. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    Maybe you broke a wire ? They aren't very thick nowadays ? Do continuity test, you'll need a meter or series test lamp and battery to put power through bothe wires disconnected of course and bulbs out ...

• Like Like x 1
  6. TBPaul

TBPaul Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Edinburgh
    Problem resolved. Thanks to all concerned lol. Initial issue must have been a loose spade in the connector block on nearside front. When I changed bulbs I pushed the earth down on both front indicator units. The issue is you have to fit the bulbs at an angle. Simples. Have a good day riding guys & gals. :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    Well done ! And in QuickTime too. Lot's don't, and don't post update to let all know where or how it went.

Thanks

Cheers capt.

• Like Like x 1