Triumph Tail Tidy Problems

Discussion in 'Thruxton, Scrambler & Trident' started by Klunk, Jul 15, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Klunk

Klunk Member

Jun 21, 2016
    Crewe
    Be aware the Triumph Tail Tidy puts the no plate light at the bottom of the plate pointing up this limits options on smaller plates unless you modify this. Really annoying they should have incorporated the no plate light into the bottom of the brake light but they don't. Andy image.png

2. Klunk

Klunk Member

Jun 21, 2016
    Crewe
    Yeah figured it deserved its own post in case anyone was spending hard earned cash and didn't realise the problem pre empty wallet. I am going to trim the bracket me thinks.

Where's me hacksaw & welder!

3. Klunk

Klunk Member

Jun 21, 2016
    Crewe
    SCRATCH THE ABOVE JUST TOOK IT APART AND THE TAIL TIDY IS ASJUSTABLE - loving Triumph they have at least considered smaller plates presumably for the USA but

• Like Like x 1
  4. drinky

drinky Member

Jun 14, 2016
    Newbury
    Its adjustable but it still looks ugly with that lump sat under the plate, I drilled a couple of holes in a strip of thin steel I had knocking around and fitted the light to that, fitted really close to the bottem of a small plate.

5. Klunk

Klunk Member

Jun 21, 2016
    Crewe
    Any chance of a picture please

6. drinky

drinky Member

Jun 14, 2016
    Newbury
    Sat in the Dordogne at the moment, back on Saturday so will do when I get home.

• Like Like x 1
  7. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Just a bit south of me then Drinky !

8. Wassers

Wassers Active Member

May 27, 2016
    Berkshire
    Does anyone know how to mod the official Triumph tail tidy so the number plate sits just behind the tail light. Seen a few like this but can't find any instructions anywhere - and I'm concerned about attempting it myself. Anyone out there who has done it and taken photos of the mod? Or being really cheeky, anyone down south in Berkshire who could help for some beer money :)

9. ChrisT70

ChrisT70 Active Member

Jun 27, 2016
    Sheffield
    I'd envisage you just cut it with a small slitting disc in a grinder then weld it back together a little shorter in length. Powder coat or black smooth rite will see it ok. That's what I'll be doing if it's not just how I want it :)

10. ChrisT70

ChrisT70 Active Member

Jun 27, 2016
    Sheffield
    Mine will be modded if a small 7x5" plate doesn't sit tight with nothing showing afterwards

11. Giles

Giles Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2016
    Surrey
    you can make it work by removing the screws and sliding the number light further up, I think you would need to cut a little off the "free" end if using a smaller number plate than 7x5

12. drinky

drinky Member

Jun 14, 2016
    Newbury
    #12 drinky, Jul 20, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2016
    image.jpeg image.jpeg Its easy to fit, you use the centre sction but have to file/cut a knick out the centre of one of the mounting plate edges. I'm on hols till Saturday but could do it for you if you struggle when I get back as I live in Newbury. Its a piece of piss to fit though. Ignore the holes in the number plate, just fitted the original small plate from the standard tail tidy which had the holes in different places.

• Like Like x 2
  13. drinky

drinky Member

Jun 14, 2016
    Newbury
    Oh and before you get a tig welder/ angle grinder/ hammerite or anything else out Dont, theres no need to cut anything.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Wassers

Wassers Active Member

May 27, 2016
    Berkshire
    Nice one thanks Drinky. I'll take a look at the weekend if I have time. If I do struggle I'll come back to you. I also need to get a 7x5 number plate too! Really must sort out my to-do list, it's huge.

15. Wassers

Wassers Active Member

May 27, 2016
    Berkshire
    Drinky. BTW. If you have time, can you share a photo of how it looks under the rear wheel arch. Would this photo show where the small nick is?

16. Wassers

Wassers Active Member

May 27, 2016
    Berkshire
    Drinky - My wife has just given me a pass out for Saturday (now that doesn't happen often!), so it would be great if I could ride up to see you in Newbury. Any excuse to ride my Triumph, put some more miles on my Thruxty (to finally get it run in) and of course meet up with a fellow Thruxton R owner. Would this work for you?

17. drinky

drinky Member

Jun 14, 2016
    Newbury
    No problem at all, I'll pm you my mobile number.