Triumph supports new safety app!

Discussion in 'Forum News' started by Conquest Racing Ltd, May 9, 2013.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Conquest Racing Ltd

Conquest Racing Ltd Contact us for your Triumph Forum discount
    Trader

Feb 2, 2013
    Dorset
    Triumph supports new safety app!

Safety should be top of every motorcyclist's priority list which is why we think you should take a look at a new safety app brought to you by REALRIDER®. Plus for a limited time the REALRIDER® Premium app is absolutely free* so no excuses!

REALRIDER® is a new technology developed specifically for motorcyclists that operates REALsafe®, a GPS route tracker via smartphone that determines if you’ve suffered a crash, where you are and then, if required, alerts the NHS ambulance service even if you’re unconscious.

How does it work?
    The REALRIDER® app uses accelerometer, gyro and GPS technology found in your smartphone to help the emergency services find you quickly should you crash**. The app sends your location, contact number and vital information to an Ambulance Control Room where they’ll attempt to contact you. If you’re injured and cannot respond, they make the decision to dispatch the most appropriate ambulance based upon your location.

In addition to the ground breaking safety features the app can also be used to record points of interest, share your riding experiences and record your favourite routes or connect with other riders. There's even a dedicated online platform for managing your routes, uploading videos or displaying your biking heritage.

What do I have to do?
    1. Register with REALRIDER® at Register :: REALRIDER®
    2. Download the app from the App Store on your smartphone and log in
    3. Set up and enable Emergency Assist within the app
    4. Record your routes (automatically monitors for accidents if enabled)

What if I have an Android Smartphone?
    Android users will receive a notification from REALRIDER® when the app is available to download from Google Play. By registering before May 23rd it will ensure you receive the Premium app free of charge.

For more info or to register visit REALRIDER®

*App with premium features will be available to download from the App Store free of charge until 23rd May providing you register at realrider.com first. App is brought to you by Real Rider Ltd. Usual price for premium features is £4.99.
    **Algorithms within the REALsafe® software analyse changes in your smartphone's behaviour during a crash. It does not detect or record your speed.

2. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Kent
    I'd send out too many false alarms... Not sure i want big brother watching me..

• Like Like x 1
  3. P19DJG

P19DJG Banned

Mar 16, 2013
    Thanks.... But its not for me.
    1984 - George Orwell springs to mind :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 2
  4. SpankyHam

SpankyHam Member

Apr 17, 2013
    Wrexham, North Wales
    I've downloaded it. I don't mind big brother watching me if I'm lying in a ditch somewhere! Plus its free so cant really go wrong, 99% of apps use location services now anyway one more wont do any harm

• Like Like x 1
  5. jonny

jonny Active Member

Mar 26, 2013
    sunny cheshire
    i'm a technophobe so no good for me..

6. brybrem

brybrem Senior Member

Mar 8, 2013
    North Wales
    I think it's a really good idea in principle, anyway. The ICE (In Case of Emergency) number is a good idea too but with so many of us locking our phones these days it's become a bit redundant.

7. JimDiesel

JimDiesel Member

Feb 27, 2013
    Nottingham
    If it records all that info, in the event of an "Off" is it something that could be used against you if lets say for some unknown reason you were going a little "Hot" ???

8. brybrem

brybrem Senior Member

Mar 8, 2013
    North Wales
    I hear what you're all saying but would you rather be dead? Just sayin'...

9. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Kent
    If you were dead would you care?

• Like Like x 1
  10. JimDiesel

JimDiesel Member

Feb 27, 2013
    Nottingham
    If Its tracking 24/7 do you need to be involved in an incident for someone to be able to access the data??? That's all I'm saying...

11. brybrem

brybrem Senior Member

Mar 8, 2013
    North Wales
    Fair comment but 'hurt' might be another reason? I'm not saying I'm an aficionado of this technology but everybody seems so dismissive of it I wanted to play devil's advocate. Just sayin'...

12. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Kent
    Ok but in this big brother nanny state we live in... How often have you ridden and not seen another person/ Vechicle?
    OK you being in Wales is more likley than me in Kent/ London....
    In the day when pretty much everyone has a mobile, CCTV is on 90% of roads, is there a need for something else monitoring us?...
    Each to their own and if someone has it good on them... But probably not for me......

13. workshyfop

workshyfop Member

Feb 26, 2013
    Looking at their page I reckon there's quite a lot of bollocks on there. If the mobile triggers a call to the emergency services that a rider's been involved in an RTA, the Police will definitely turn up & so they should. Who pays for false alarms? Someone has to. What's the first thing you do after an off? Run to check your bike & pick it up, not check your phone to see if it's sending out an emergency call. How can it tell the difference between chucking your phone down the stairs or up the street & binning your bike? They might be clever, but it's a phone not an airbag

Cynical me? :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 5
  14. SpankyHam

SpankyHam Member

Apr 17, 2013
    Wrexham, North Wales
    I was thinking this at the weekend when I was playing about with the app. What would happen if I just dropped the phone?? Now I wouldn't be without my iphone but I really don't think if I drop it its a matter for the police/ambulance (mainly as I don't think they would fix it) and I wouldn't really like sounding like a numpty to the woman on the 999 call trying to explain that my phone thought I had a bike accident but I hadn't all I has done is drop the phone and it over reacted?

Im not saying I wouldn't use it but I think I need to look into it a bit more before I set up the emergency call feature!

• Like Like x 1
  15. workshyfop

workshyfop Member

Feb 26, 2013
    Yeah, I was talking to my neighbour (who's a copper) about this, he told me that if the phone sent out a 999 call saying a bike was involved in an RTA, Police would definitely attend the incident. he'd never heard of this app &, like me was very sceptical as to how it works. How does the app install gyroscopic & impact sensors into the phone & make a call without physically being touched?

I'm more than sceptical, I'm convinced it's total bollocks, preying on biker's paranoia that one day they'll end up alone in a ditch, on a dark, snowy night, with the bike on top of them & two broken arms & legs. It aint gonna happen. :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 2
  16. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Kent
    Yep a scary thought

• Like Like x 3
  17. JimDiesel

JimDiesel Member

Feb 27, 2013
    Nottingham
    The Gyro is already in a smart phone, I'm told it knows the difference from dropping by the travel at point of gyro shifting, I.e through GPRS/GPS it is constantly tracking the movement, then if you crash the gyro would pick up all manner of strange movement's followed by a sudden stop... this then puts a call out based on a simple logic principle of if yes or if no etc... So I am told but whether that is true I could not say... It was this theory which then led me to think, hmm constant tracking by GPRS/GPS, so it knows your rate of travel at any given time..... I could see that data being used against you at some point and not necessarily after a crash.... Then again from simple triangulation theory of a normal mobile phone through network masts your rate of travel can also be calculated anyway, just not as simple as that of your sat nav or real rider app as these use eastings and northings and map correspondence etc... Just saying... :smile:

When you see your neighbour next Workshy, can you ask if your wheels cross a stop line at traffic lights but you still stop (I.e too much road salt and hence late braking resulted in stopping front wheels over the line, and the camera activates, can you be fined still/prosecuted?

18. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Kent
    You'll only be told you were travelling too fast for the conditions..... Worst case..

• Like Like x 2
  19. workshyfop

workshyfop Member

Feb 26, 2013
    OK I'm a Luddite! In the days before sat nav I used a map & didn't get lost. I don't need to stick a camera on me lid to enjoy a bike ride. I don't need 400 channels of crap on the telly, I like phones that have a dial & are attached to the wall by a wire. Gawd knows what I'm doing sat in front of a PC?

As for your question for my copper neighbour Jim, I won't ask him, a)because I'll forget it, b) he'll look at me & say 'fuck off' & c) I can't be arsed! :frown:

• Like Like x 3
  20. chrispy

chrispy Well-Known Member

May 1, 2013
    Salisbury,wiltshire
    reading the comments i cant make up my mind ,do i want the option potentially of someone watching while i'm riding.......not sure

• Like Like x 1