Triumph Sprint St 955i 2005 Headlights

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Gary Rix, Aug 28, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Gary Rix

Gary Rix New Member

Aug 28, 2020
    Cardiff
    Hi,

I'm Gary and I'm new to this site and indeed to motorcycle riding and I'm looking for some advice, I've recently purchased a triumph sprint st 955i, year 2005 in very good condition.

I've noticed that when I put the headlight on dip that only 1 of the lights is on and when I switch to main beam the other one come on the and dip goes off, so only one light working at any one time.
    After reading other forums it seems that this is standard on UK triumphs but there is a way to get both on at the same time.

From what I've been reading is it just a case of changing a couple of relays for the headlights or is there some kind of wiring loom I need to get? If its just a couple of relays could someone advise where these go, I have located a column of 4 relays by the front right suspension. If a wiring loom is required could someone recommend where I could get on from?

Looking forward to receiving some help, thanks

• Like Like x 1
  2. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
  3. Gary Rix

Gary Rix New Member

Aug 28, 2020
    Cardiff
    Hi

4. D'Ecosse

D'Ecosse Senior Member

Jun 23, 2019
    CA, USA
    No wiring changes required - just insert the relays in the vacant slots
    These should be located under the instrument panel on your 955 ST
    (p.s. it's a 2004 even if reg'd in 05 - 05 models are 1050)

p.s. If the relays are already there (and sounds like they are if there are indeed 4 relays in that location) then check Fuse # 1

• Like Like x 2
  5. Gary Rix

Gary Rix New Member

Aug 28, 2020
    Cardiff
    thank you very much I'll check it out today.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Gary Rix

Gary Rix New Member

Aug 28, 2020
    Cardiff
    Hi,

I checked the fuses and they are fine so maybe the relays are faulty

7. D'Ecosse

D'Ecosse Senior Member

Jun 23, 2019
    CA, USA
    That would be unusual coincidence for both relays to be bad.
    You specifically checked Fuse #1?
    Did you check the bulbs?

8. Gary Rix

Gary Rix New Member

Aug 28, 2020
    Cardiff
    What would I be checking for with the bulbs, they work independently, could it be that they are just single filiment bulbs and I need to swap them for dual filiment? (I havent checked, just a thought, as I know I have to take the fairing off to get to them)

9. D'Ecosse

D'Ecosse Senior Member

Jun 23, 2019
    CA, USA
    No, they are both H4 Dual Filament bulbs - it is not possible to install anything different.
    It is certainly possible that the high beam filament is blown in one and the low beam filament in the other.
    Honestly, most likely issue is Fuse 1

• Like Like x 1
  10. Gary Rix

Gary Rix New Member

Aug 28, 2020
    Cardiff
    Hi Again,
    I've just checked fuse 1 and fuse 9, both 15amp and both are fine so I'm at a loss now where to look other than the relays

11. D'Ecosse

D'Ecosse Senior Member

Jun 23, 2019
    CA, USA
    this ^

12. Gary Rix

Gary Rix New Member

Aug 28, 2020
    Cardiff
    I will do that next

13. D'Ecosse

D'Ecosse Senior Member

Jun 23, 2019
    CA, USA
    If you can reach the connectors, swap them between the two lights
    a) if you get same lights exhibiting which works only on low and the other on high, then you have bulbs issue
    b) if the working beam on each light is now transposed to the opposite light (follows the connector) then you have a problem with the supply (most likely on the relay side of the circuit)
    That will at least give you a conclusive answer as to what to pursue.

As an fyi, this is how the lighting circuit works:
    One lamp gets power to low beam directly from the hi/low switch and to the high beam via the high beam relay;
    the other lamp gets power to the high beam directly from the hi/low switch and to the low beam via the low beam relay.
    The same signal from the hi/lo switch that powers each lamp directly is also used to energize the relay coil;
    supply power for the tow relays comes from Fuse #1.

Another quick test you can do:
    Of the 4 relays
    1 x 3-pin relay - this is the turn signal module
    1 x 5 pin relay - this is the headlight-cut relay
    2 are 4-pin relays - these are the high and low relays and the ones you want
    Turn on Key-Switch to enable the headlights
    Pull each of the relays and replace it again
    When on low beam on switch you should be able to hear/feel the low beam relay click when you pull/replace it
    (if the first of the two does not click, try the other one and ensure that at least one of them clicks in the low position of the switch; repeat then for the other relay with high beam selected)

if NEITHER clicks, then you probably have a relay problem (or a missing ground on the relay sockets)
    If BOTH successfully click, then the possibilities are
    a) Fuse 1
    b) the bulbs themselves

• Like Like x 2
  14. Gary Rix

Gary Rix New Member

Aug 28, 2020
    Cardiff
    Thats brilliant, thank you very much for your help, I will have a look today.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Gary Rix

Gary Rix New Member

Aug 28, 2020
    Cardiff
    ****SUCCESS****
    I changed the two relays and hey presto both lights came on both on dip and main beam, bike looks so much better with both lights on.
    Thanks so much for the help & advice.

• Like Like x 3
  16. D'Ecosse

D'Ecosse Senior Member

Jun 23, 2019
    CA, USA
    Good job
    Unusual circumstance where both relays would be bad - although who knows how long first one was bad before second one failed
    They are 15 years old I guess :D

• Like Like x 1
  17. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    It is quite common on the ST and RS 955i that both relays fail in quick succession, there are uprated relays available, lots of suppliers stock them, I had to replace 2 lots when I had an RS, the single light on main and dip was due to complying with European compliance, seems crazy when you are more visible with both lights on, also better for night riding, some people have uprated the bulbs, however it appears this upgrade put the relay under more load, and subsequent premature relay failure.

• Like Like x 1