Triumph Sprint St 1050 2014

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by Si "Freddie" Hatfield, May 7, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Si "Freddie" Hatfield

May 7, 2021
    Warwick
    Hi folks, first time on this forum, an old boy biker from Warwickshire, I currently have a 2014 sprint st 1050, replacing my older Yam FJR after a foreign gentleman wiped me out on a roundabout. Before that (skipping the Harley Sportster, not my fault, just put it down to post divorce lunacy) I'd ridden a Triumph Bonneville T140v, euphemistically called the Ton up Vibrator

One thing I do need to look at with this bike is replacing my rear shock, as it seems to have a certain amount of sag, no leaks found so probably just tired, like me

To be fair I'm in no real hurry as it still works OK but looking at after market and told that Hagon or Nitron are pretty good for the money, any other suggestions?

I'm an Aries for those astrology buffs and a compulsive buyer of shiny shit

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  2. Smilinjack

Smilinjack Guest

Welcome in mate. I don't think you've got a 2014 Sprint ST though, it has to be a GT, shirley. I fitted a Nitron shock on my 2010 sprint ST and initial feelings are it's a major improvement. Covid saw the bike unused for a spell but it's now fully road legal so hopefully I'll form more of an opinion in weeks to come. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Hi and welcome….

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    Hi Freddie :cool: I like Nitron too, had one on my Tuono. Others on here also like YSS as an affordable option ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. David Cooper

David Cooper Triumph Rocketeer.
    Subscriber

Hello Freddie.

gump (1).gif

• Like Like x 1
  6. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    Hello Freddie and welcome to the forum :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Shaun Duke

Shaun Duke New Member

Apr 25, 2021
    Mansfield Notts
    hi. welcome to the forum.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Greetings and welcome the forum, Freddie, from a fellow "compulsive buyer of shiny shit" as you put it. ;):joy: You've come to the right place to get lots of great advice and info. We'd love to see a pic or two of your Sprint. Hope you enjoy the forum. :)
    TTF welcome.png

• Like Like x 1
  9. Hubaxe

Hubaxe Good moaning! aka Mr Wordsalad :)

Mar 25, 2020
    Aix Les bains - French Alps
    Welcome , Bienvenue,
    On my sprint ST 1050 I went for a https://shock-factory.co.uk/ , built and setup for my weight/use.
    Imho much better quality than yss and similar at fair price.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Shaun Duke

Shaun Duke New Member

Apr 25, 2021
    Mansfield Notts
    Hi all , Will this fun never end, What started as a blown fuse on the ST Sprint , turns out the Rectifier has fried its self, burnt through the brick connectors, it g-o-e-s on. so. while she is Stripped down , changed the plugs , air filter, rectifier , New battery, horn, (l) side handle bar Cluster , oil, filter and coolant , she is so sweet now in two minds to sell her, with all the panniers , top box, tank bag , sat nav ect ect. going for a lighter bike I think looking at Bonnie 865 , The ST is getting heavy for me now with only 24k on the clock lots of places to see , rides like the wind .. OR is it time to Have two triumphs ?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Smilinjack

Smilinjack Guest

It's time to have two Triumphs. I've also got a Bonneville 865, 2010. Smashing little thing as long as you aren't in too much of a hurry. Sprint, along with many modern bikes, is not unknown for reg/rec issues. Got one of those too. Also got a Speed Triple, which is lighter than a Sprint and certainly doesn't hang around. Plenty of good ones to choose from. :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. Dartplayer

Dartplayer Crème de la Crème

Aug 8, 2018
    New Zealand
    Hi Freddie and welcome to the forum :cool: looking forward to seeing your ride

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Shaun Duke

Shaun Duke New Member

Apr 25, 2021
    Mansfield Notts
    HI All , its a thing when you can mend your mates bike but not your own , Why is That.? , after the electric fault n repair , almost a full comprehensive service and replaced all on previous thread , she fired up and away Weeeee Gooooo. . Rode about 40/50 mile stopped for coffee n cake , well you have to don't you , ? n back home all in all Brilliant, So switched of for a moment to open garage doors n key in Battery well below starting Volts anyway. just won't start , Press start small crank sound , then nothing. It run perfect , never missed a beat , its a nightmare can some one help Please. I have a basic knowledge but I read about things going to ground/earth what to check ect . so New , battery -rectifier -Left handle bar switches - plugs-filter- checked All fuses , when she's running I have 14.6v to the battery , so charging ok . Something is happening Very quickly. the bike ? oh yes its ST Sprint 24k only on the clock ,

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Smilinjack

Smilinjack Guest

As a matter of interest, do you use the kill switch to turn off the engine? If so, don't. Not unknown for bother with Triumphs. Caused me similar problems in the past, including a sphincter clenching moment when I was at the front of a queue coming off a ferry and it did it. :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Si "Freddie" Hatfield
    Do hit the upload a file button bottom right corner and show of some of the beastie's. Seem to have missed your joining the asylum.
    Joe.

• Like Like x 2