Triumph Sprint Rs 955i - Fuel Pump Not Priming, No Clicking

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Luke7ucas, May 9, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Luke7ucas

Luke7ucas New Member

May 9, 2020
    London
    Hi Everyone,
    I have been lurking around trying to find a solution and came across a few interesting topics but couldn't match all the symptoms with my situation.

I hope that you could spare a moment and guide me in the right direction.

I have Triumph Sprint RS 955i and been looking after it for 5 years now.

When I turn the ignition the display starts as normal.
    - The fuel pump makes no whizz sound that was always present before.
    - When I press the thumb started there is no crank and no clicking noise.

The following were also checked:
    - Horn is working.
    - All lights are working.
    - Bike is in neutral and green light is showing.
    - The Ignition On/Off switch is "On". (Located on the right handlebar with a red switch.)
    - I checked the fuses under the seat and all OK.
    - There are three square relays (I think they are called relays?) under the seat. One is next to the fuse box and 2 are on the right-hand-side by the fairing. I took them off and gave them the elbow clean.

After fiddling with it for half an hour.
    Key in, ignition on. Press the clutch lever, press the thumb starter > no sound. > Ignition off, key out. > key in... Rinse repeat...

It happened a few times that the clicking and cranking came back for a few moments that were enough to start the bike. Once the engine was switched off, and key out the key in, ignition on... ... ...
    I couldn't start it again.

At no point, there was a prime from the fuel pump even when the clicking sound and cranking happened later.

I would really appreciate any advice you can provide.
    Kindest regards
    L

2. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    I don't know what year triumphs had the ecu programmed to not allow starting when battery voltage dropped too much on pressing the starter button ? Maybe a battery issue , try jump starting ?

3. Luke7ucas

Luke7ucas New Member

May 9, 2020
    London
    Hi Guys, Thank you for the comments and your patience.
    My tools were in the car... the car was parked few miles away from where I am currently staying. I managed to get to the car last Sunday. ... and tools were not there.

Today I found Lonelec cable and got TuneECU to work.
    No errors found in the system.
    Now this is interesting.

When I held the thumb started and started playing with clutch lever I could hear "THE CLICK."
    Then I had to release the thump started. Press the clutch all the way, hold it there. When I pressed the thumb started again sometimes the bike turned the engine over. Sometimes not. And I had to fiddle with clutch and thumb starter few more times.

I managed to turn the engine over maybe 3 times, but it seems the battery is weak now. And knowing my luck the battery charger is in the car ;-)

Is it possible for the clutch cable to be worn out or stretched?
    I tried adjusting it different ways but couldn't say it helped.

I will keep you posted how it goes, in the meantime any ideas or comments would be highly appreciated.

Have a good one!
    L

955i _1.PNG

955i _2.PNG

955i _3.PNG

955i _4.PNG

4. Luke7ucas

Luke7ucas New Member

May 9, 2020
    London
    Thank you for the lead.
    Just to follow up on the issue.

It's actually the right-hand switch.
    The thumb started to be exact.

When the clutch is held in, and the thumb starter is being pressed extremely slowly at some point it will engage and the engine will start turning over.
    or
    if I use more pressure to press thumb starter it works well.

I am not an electrical guru but would be guessing that something is not connecting properly inside. I would say the wires are good it must be something that closes the circuit.

Can those switches be fixed or do I need to buy a new one?

5. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    You might be lucky and find it’s just a dirty or scorched contact on the switch.
    Unfortunately I’ve never had mine apart to see how accessible the contacts are for cleaning but it’s worth a try before you look for a replacement switch.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    It's fiddly but doable take your time and take pictures of what you're doing for reassembly

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    The micro switch inside the right hand switch block sounds as if the contact surfaces need a good run with fine wet and dry emery paper. They can develop a build up of grime , invisible to the eye but totally resistant to current flow.

• Like Like x 1