Triumph Speed Triple 1050

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Michael Walker, Aug 18, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Michael Walker

Michael Walker New Member

Aug 18, 2018
    Hornsea
    Good evening, I'm new to the forum and I'm looking for some guidance.

I'm looking at buying a triumph speed triple 1050 2012. I'm wondering how forgiving they are to ride I have just parted with a GSXR 750 and I'm wondering if the move to the litre Triple will be as easy to ride or is it going to be a massive jump up. I understand the BHP is similar but the idea of a litre bike still scares me but the 675/765 are to small.

Is the 1050 worth the money and is there any common faults I should look out for? Excited to be back on two wheels

2. Michael Walker

Aug 18, 2018
    Hornsea
    Amazing, I've taken a real shine to them and they just stand out with looks and the appeal. Always been a fan of triumph and regretted not getting a Daytona 675 when I got the gixxer.

Appreciate the quick response bud

What would be classed as high mileage on one 20k+?

3. Michael Walker

Aug 18, 2018
    Hornsea
    115k on a bike is a huge achievement. That's put my mind right at ease full service history and 1 owner previous the bike I'm looking at is spotless.

An that's very true everyone should know there limits. Thanks for top advice and a warm welcome!

4. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Hi, Michael and welcome.
    My '95 Trident 900 is well north of 52,000 miles and runs better than ever, and that is not unusual. A 6 year old bike averaging 3,500 miles per year (not excessive by any means) would have around 21,000 miles on its back by now, so don't worry about it. Just enjoy!!:grinning:

5. Michael Walker

Aug 18, 2018
    Hornsea
    That's a huge relief to be honest and 3500 miles a year isn't that much to be honest. I'm planning to have the bike for a good few years so that will be me with 52000 fingers crossed!

Haha I've been a fan of naked since I got my licence just needed to decide on the right one. Heavier can be limber too!

It'll be a strange ride at first but quite looking forward to getting off after a decent ride out and not feel like my back has been through rolling pin factory line Haha.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Hack Driver

Hack Driver Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2017
    Denton, Maryland USA
    Welcome to the forum and good luck with your purchase!

7. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    I love the 1050 engine. The Speed Triple I have is the 2010 year, my favourite with the round lights

I went from a Honda 600 CBF to the triple and while there is a fistfull of power, it is easy to control and not threatening, you can release it when you are ready.

You would need to check the following at some point:
    - The concentric hub needs a good grease with copper grease around 20k miles as this can size up
    - The needle bearings in the hub will also do with greasing
    - The suspension links / bearings need a fresh coat of grease
    -Check the wiring under the ignition barrel as these can rub and expose the wires, at least on the 2010 and earlier models they do
    -I am 16st and the standard suspension is not enough, I have to buy a new rear shock and stronger springs for the forks
    - Check the charging system with a multimeter, hopefully to ensure the stator and rectifier are in good order, these have been know to fail on earlier years

This is just from my experience of owning three Triples, it isnt an indicator of repeating faults.
    They are very reliable and strong engines, just keep them happy with fresh oil by 8,000 miles

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    Welcome in Mike, no need for me to repeat the good advice above, go for it, you won't regret it.
    You'll also find a separate section on this forum specifically for the Speed Triples here, worth a browse through there too.
    Not common but also not unheard of problems - sticky clutch (which makes gear changes difficult), and warped brake discs - so check them out on a test ride.
    Otherwise a very solid reliable bike.

9. Michael Walker

Aug 18, 2018
    Hornsea
    Thanks everyone, I've been looking through reviews and owner reviews too and I haven't read any big issues usually minor ones as explained above.

Thanks again guys, really appreciate your advice and I'll check out the triple threads thanks!

10. chuk

chuk Senior Member
    Subscriber

Jan 10, 2017
    neilston glasgow
    #9 chuk, Aug 20, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
    Get a minimum 30 mins test ride to check gearbox goes up and down gears ok and you can find neutral,some bikes suffer from poor neutral selection 1050 speeds and tigers etc mostly after warming up,you may find gearbox tad agricultural but all in its a good bike not fastest naked but then again not meant to be.

• Agree Agree x 1