Featured Triumph ownership coming to an end!

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by old git, Mar 25, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. old git

old git Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2016
    Aberdeenshire, Scotland
    While the T120 is undoubtedly a good bike, after the short time I've owned it I've come to the conclusion that it just doesn't do enough for me in many areas. It's a stunning looking bike and the engine is a peach but I'm thinking that I might have been better off with the Thruxton, as after a lifetime of big power Japanese machinery it simply doesn't excite. The brakes and suspension are adequate - no more, and after only a couple of hundred miles round trip to test ride it's replacement both me and the wife were seriously uncomfortable. This coupled with my various gripes over Triumphs attitude to warranty issues was the deal breaker.

Not wishing to slag it off, and I'm sure there will be many owners who will continue to be impressed with it's attributes but it's just not the bike for me.

The Triumph was bought as a replacement for my 2012 Fireblade as I believed if I kept that, jail time could have been a serious possibility. With hindsight it would seem that the T120 was too far to the other end of the spectrum, for me at any rate.

We test rode a Suzuki V-Strom and both me and the wife instantly liked it. A bit more power than the Triumph (but not an excess), brilliant handling and brakes, long distance comfort and luggage included in the deal. Also, a 3 year warranty that I believe will be honoured should I have the need to make a claim.

My many thanks to all the forum members who have informed, entertained and put up with all my moans and groans. This forum has been one of the positive aspects of my brief Triumph experience and I wish all members many happy miles on your Triumphs and what ever else you may ride.

I might not have much to say on Triumphs from now on but I hope I can contribute something ;)

• Like Like x 7
  2. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    Fair'nuff. Hang around though, won't you.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Bonzo

Bonzo Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2016
    IoM
    That's a bit of a pisser old git :-(

I ordered a T120 Black when they were first announced, convinced it was the bike for the direction I wanted to go (a little bit slower, more upright, a good timeless looking plodder), but when the demo's arrived I took the Thruxton R out first (someone had just set off on the T120 demo) and it blew me away by how instantly comfortable, torquey, pokey, manageable and stunningly beautiful it was. The later T120 test ride left me very uninspiring & deflated. So I switched my order.

I've had one or two niggles with mine too, but I can almost forgive it anything as I just enjoy it so much. In 33 years & 17 bikes, I've never bonded with a motorcycle like I have with my Silver Ice Thruxton R.

Maybe the Thruxton might have been the way for you to go - who knows?

Whatever, hope you find your dream steed old git.

All the best :)

• Like Like x 4
  4. Bonneville boy

Mar 17, 2017
    Southend on sea
    I know what you are saying, breaking free from the sports bike addiction is a very tough thing to do, getting your head around a completely new experience. After a life on Ducati sport bikes this is my third attempt to let go.I still miss the thrill of the power,noise and the look,it's a feeling that can't be replaced. I am surprised how much I am enjoying my triumph Bonneville custom and I am treating it as a almost completely new experience enjoying doing the upgrades to hopefully improve the standard machine and put your own spin on it. Hope you find the bike for you and your wife soon and enjoy yourself.☺

• Like Like x 2
  5. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    I had an idea we might have a run.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Recycled Rocker

Recycled Rocker Senior Member

Apr 19, 2014
    North Yorkshire Cave
    Yo OG, had a pal roll up on a trialled Royal Enfield one lunger. A BIG smile on his face. This is whilst he builds his Jim Lee framed 60's 500cc Triumph. So 2 things if yer not smiling, change it, and being old decrepit and daft like what I am, a little Trumpet project to lie about, might be the way to go. I'm lucky enuff to ride what does it fer me, and work on my T140. It's my ISA. I let go of my Gixer, wasn't enjoying race time every time I went out.
    Stick around OG :D

• Like Like x 2
  7. dickydido

dickydido Senior Member

Nov 3, 2016
    Wiltshire
    ....enjoy your new bike and I hope you got a good trade-in 'cus that will help take the edge off your disappointment of the T120.

Cheers,

dickydido

• Like Like x 1
  8. pasher

pasher Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Nottingham
    Funnily enough I sold my 2014 V-Strom 1000 to buy the T120!! I was never comfortable on it, mainly because, I think, it was too tall for me, even with the lower seat (and I'm not particularly a short-ass ;-) ).

• Like Like x 1
  9. Recycled Rocker

Recycled Rocker Senior Member

Apr 19, 2014
    North Yorkshire Cave
    One fer you OG ;) Just listen to that Spec on this Trumpet

• Like Like x 6
  10. R_1000

R_1000 Elite Member
    Subscriber

Sep 2, 2016
    UK, London
    I can understand your decision. I love my speed triple but I do miss my sportsbike days:(

Couple of weeks ago I was offered 6k for mine. I almost sold it n would have gone for R1 cross plane. But then the jail time thought came to my mind and decided to stay with my speed triple. Having said this speed triple ain't a slow bike. Besides nothing excites me like the Speed triple does for me.

All the best with your new bike. It's always better to try many bikes as you can. It's not the end of the world. If you don't get along with the Suzuki. ....nothing to worry. You can always come back to TriumphThruxton ;)

I'm sure you will enjoy your new ride :)

11. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Sorry your off but you will love the Vstrom. I had the 1000cc version for a few years, fanastic touring bike also good in the twisties.
    Enjoy what ever you ride.
    Wessa

12. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    old git and dd ..... Fuck off.
    Lol only joking guys, if you get fed up with suzi talk we , well some of us , not me, are always about.
    A bike is a bike

• Like Like x 3
  13. old git

old git Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2016
    Aberdeenshire, Scotland
    I like the idea of a Suzuki Sub-Forum DD. I'll see how long the V-Strom lasts (hopefully longer than the T120) but my old GT500 is definitely staying where it is. Looking forward to picking the new bike up at the weekend but not looking forward to getting soaked on the Triumph getting there.

Nice looking bike you've sold.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    best of luck with your new bike Old Git. As already said, you can stick around. If a BMW rider can:oops: Then im sure a Suzzie owner can ;):D:D

• Like Like x 2
  15. BonnieCat

BonnieCat Crème de la Crème

Feb 20, 2016
    Netherlands
    I like the idea too. I've got my 650 Burger and my old GS750EN.

• Like Like x 1
  16. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    All the best for your intended purchase OG, As said hang about no need to leave,

17. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    My first ever motorcycle was a 50cc Suzuki Sportsman (1964):D which my elder brother bought new, but then decided that an Austin A35:eek: would be better suited to carrying his fishing tackle and running back and forth to Durham University. Just a shame that I was still only 15 and had a few months to go before I could actually use it on the roads.
    I followed that a few years later with a Suzuki GT550J - the one with the 4ls front drum brake.:):):cool:
    Some time later I found myself owning a Suzuki GS850G.:)
    Does this qualify me for the Suzuki sub section?

• Like Like x 3
  18. stevethegoolie

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    I make most excellent tea, but, I subscribe to the 'cakes is good' lifestyle which means that if I get my grubby paws on a cake - any cake (as long as nuts aren't involved) - then no-one else will ever get anywhere near it:mad:! However, you will be more than welcome to any crumbs that I may drop and cake(s) with nuts in are all yours, as you may have already realised.
    Did any of this help? :)
    Thought not!:(:p

• Like Like x 2
  19. stevethegoolie

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

I'll bring my own Yorkshire parkin then!:p

Having said that, I've yet to find any that's anywhere near as good as that which my dear old mum used to bake.:cool:

• Like Like x 1