Triumph Newbie Oil Question.

Discussion in 'America, Speedmaster & Rocket' started by M1Tommy, May 31, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. M1Tommy

M1Tommy Member

May 29, 2020
    Arkansas, USA
    I know about oil threads, and am just looking for any red flags I might be raising.

'09 I recently bought has oil of uncertain age. At 477 miles, I reckon that the motor is not broken in.
    I found Castrol synthetic blend 20W50 motorcycle oil on sale. My thoughts are to run that briefly, say 500 miles, give the motor a bit of a flushing, then change to a good all synthetic oil.
    Any GOTCHAs in my thinking?
    Tommy

2. Munchen

Munchen Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2018
    Germany
    Hi Tommy.
    477 miles in 11 years if pretty low. Unless you know different, I would expect the oil to be 11 years old and drain it all out and put some fresh 10W40 in there. I doubt it's dirty but it will be old enough to have lost some of its viscous properties.
    I wouldn't waste time and money to flush it unless it's dirty. I would run it for a year or a few thousand miles and then change it if compelled to.
    Why would you choose 20W oil? Is it really hot where you live?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    I run a synthetic 20/w50 in my America as recommended by the manual. Make sure it is rated for motorcycle use. Oil for automobiles is not the same. ...J.D.

02 America-2.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. MyEvilTwin

MyEvilTwin Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2020
    Sugartown Cabaret
    Mobil 20-50 V Twin here on my Thruxton 865. Actually runs smoother, less notchy shifting, and probably runs a lil cooler but I cant prove that. Been using it for years with no problems.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    I have to deal with ambient temperature here of well over 100°f. all summer long. Oil temps. get pretty high in stop and go traffic. I have also seen it below 20°f. here in the winter. Of course I am not out riding in that kind of cold, but the multi-viscosity oil helps get oil flowing quicker on cold mornings. I use 20/w40 in my water cooled bikes. Use what the engineers recommend. That is what they went to school for. ...J.D.

• Like Like x 2
  6. M1Tommy

M1Tommy Member

May 29, 2020
    Arkansas, USA
    Yes, I agree about the old oil.
    I reckon my post wasn't clear.
    I intend to drain and refill now, run that oil a little while, then do a drain/refill with another oil. That is my "flush", just to remove ALL of the old oil and whatever has accumulated.

This, is the oil I was thinking to use, not a straight 20W.
    Tommy

Castrol oil.jpg

• Like Like x 1