Triumph Navigator suit

Discussion in 'Clothing & Gadgets' started by folkbloke, Apr 11, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. folkbloke

folkbloke Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2013
    Sussex
    Ludicrously expensive (over £500 for jacket and trousers) but, I thought, a good piece of kit.

I say "I thought" because today I got caught in a heavy 10 minute downpour and found myself with a wet bum (oo-er missus). 10 effin minutes! They are going back next week.

2. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    That's a lot of wedge for something that's not even waterproof.

3. folkbloke

Jul 20, 2013
    Sussex
    You're not wrong!

4. Tom8336

Tom8336 Member

Mar 23, 2015
    London
    That's really poor.

If you're not too fashion conscious why not get on eBay and get yourself a set of army goretex? Excellent quality kit and it more than does the job of keeping you dry.

• Like Like x 2
  5. folkbloke

Jul 20, 2013
    Sussex
    I'm not fashion conscious at all (probably the complete opposite!) but I won't wear camo gear on the bike (I'm trying to be seen not hide!). Also, more importantly for me, the bike jacket and trousers are designed to do a specific job and have armour, removable linings and ventilation panels.

The dealers swapped them with no problems at all. I just hope the new ones work.....

6. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Never thought of ex army gear - excellent suggestion.

Dave

7. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    And it looks somehow right on a bonny too. Eric

8. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

9. Tom8336

Tom8336 Member

Mar 23, 2015
    London
    I said Army waterproofs, not a Lord of the Rings. Invisibility cloak! :)

Trust me, you won't become invisible in combats. Why do you think soldiers still have to dig holes and cover their gear in twigs?

10. folkbloke

Jul 20, 2013
    Sussex
    All the waterproofs I found were camo. I suppose I have to be honest and say that apart from the fact there's no armour and they tend to be loose fitting (at least all the ones in our local surplus shop were) I actually don't like camo clothing at all and was trying to be polite ;) There I said it, I don't like camo :eek:

• Like Like x 1
  11. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    ask the "4x4" drivers

• Like Like x 1
  12. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    "La Chasse à Bikers" usually starts 1st of May over here.

• Like Like x 1
  13. jon675

jon675 Member

Apr 12, 2015
    West Mids
    Use Wolf stuff myself and it's very underated

14. folkbloke

Jul 20, 2013
    Sussex
    They hunt wolves don't they?

15. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    does that coincide with migrating Brits by any chance?

16. folkbloke

Jul 20, 2013
    Sussex
    Right, an update on this suit. I've already partly covered this in another thread but I thought I should add it here as well.

In short I think it's an expensive piece of poo.

As I said in my initial post the trousers leaked after just 10 minutes of rain and had to be changed. I didn't really see any serious rain again until I was in France in June when I hit a massive downpour on the way back to Calais but more of that later.

I really liked the suit. Useful pockets, looked ok and it wasn't black!

First issue after the initial leak were the ventilation panels. I'm beginning to wonder why we bother with them or why folks seem to think they're a good idea. If it's hot enough to need ventilation then the air you're venting is still hot and does bugger all to cool you down. If it's cool enough to get a cool breeze then it's not hot enough for ventilation. Well that's my take anyway. Suffice to say I thought the panels, although extensive, were pretty useless.

Second issue. The velcro tabs holding the knee armour in come "undone" and the velcro hooks quietly scratch away at your knees until you have to stop and try and do something about it. Gaffer tape is the answer to cover up the tabs. Simple and effective but why on earth should an expensive piece of kit need that type of "alteration"?

Third issue. The zip on the left leg undoes itself at motorway, or fast road, speeds meaning you either put up with a flapping leg or stop and gaffer tape it up. Useful stuff gaffer tape. Don't leave home without it.

Fourth issue. The trousers, once again, proved not to be waterproof.

Fifth issue. Neither was the jacket. My arms were soaked after an hour or two in heavy rain and the inside of the lower back of the jacket was soaking.

Sixth issue. The neck is poorly designed so that it is neither high enough or snug enough to stop rain getting in. By the time I got to Calais I was soaked. The rain came in through the neck and my Buff and t-shirt between them wicked the water down and gave me full body coverage.

I have raised these issues directly with Triumph and so far the only response has been along the lines of "we've sold lots of them, they're really popular". They also suggested that they wouldn't expect a cruiser rider to wear one....

Unfortunately they didn't even acknowledge the problems I've been having. I have written to them again and will update this thread when I get a response.

• Like Like x 1
  17. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi Dick, just out of interests sake, how much is this bijou of modern motorcycling clothing?

I have a funny feeling I'm going to need to sit down.................................................

18. folkbloke

Jul 20, 2013
    Sussex
    Yes, sit down Dave.

I can't remember the exact price I paid but it was something like £340 for the jacket and £220 for the trousers.

Interestingly enough I just looked up reviews of the suit and two guys on the Triumph Explorer forum had one and seemed to like them except .... one said it was difficult to keep cool in despite the ventilation panels and one complained about the lack of a storm collar and how water was running down his back :)

And another search has found folks complaining of leaking trousers!

19. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    So £600 for waterproof biking kit that leaks? Excellent.

Were you at any stage told that this gear would not be suitable for a cruiser rider?

I would want my money back. The item is plainly not "fit for purpose". And I wouldn't be asking - I would be insisting.

The legal contract is between the buyer and the retailer - not the manufacturer - irrespective of what the retailer might claim.

20. folkbloke

Jul 20, 2013
    Sussex
    #20 folkbloke, Jul 19, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2015
    Which is exactly what I'll do Dave but I wanted to get Triumph's take on it first ;)

The exact wording from Triumph was

"I am sorry you have had the issues you've had with this suit, but can assure you that we have sold many of these suits worldwide and have found them to be one of the best suits we have ever designed & sold. All the instructors at Trailquest (our approved off road trainers) have had the suit & the 2moro Rider Rhys Lawrey has had the suit on the whole time on his round the world adventure. To be honest the suit was designed with the adventure or touring rider in mind & we wouldn't see it as a natural choice for a cruiser rider."

Make of that what you want! Strange that the Triumph approved off-road trainers all wear them. A bit of a surprise that .... .