Tiger 800 "Triumph motorcycles are not suited for off use"

Discussion in 'Tiger / Explorer' started by Richard H, Nov 18, 2014.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Swadlincote Derbyshire England
    Here is Triumph's latest marketing film for the new updated Tiger 800 XC

Bit cheesy in my opinion but it clearly shows the bike being ridden off road by tv personality Bear Grylls. If you watch the clip to the end, read the disclaimer.

Fourth paragraph down.
    "Triumph motorcycles are street motorcycles. Triumph motorcycles are not suited for off road use.
    Triumph does not endorse or encourage the use of Triumph motorcycles off road.
    Off road use could expose yourself and others to serious personal injuries or even death"

Disclaimer.jpg

They are clearly saying that this is a road bike and should not be ridden off road. As the owner of 2014 Tiger 800 XC I am very disappointed they have chosen to add this disclaimer and I certainly purchased my machine on the understanding it would handle some off road stuff. Guess they are covering themselves against any warranty claims if the bike is used off road but in my opinion its a PR and marketing disaster with many Triumph owners on other social media highlighting this exact point.

Disclaimer.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  2. roadtrip

roadtrip Member

Oct 27, 2014
    Scotland
    it says "increased off road ability ..." in the video too.

I say 'too much health & safety is dangerous!'

• Like Like x 1
  3. SteveJ

SteveJ Super Moderator

Aug 12, 2013
    North Hampshire
    #3 SteveJ, Nov 19, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  4. PJT

PJT Active Member

Oct 20, 2014
    Leicestershire. UK.
    Have the lunatics taken over the asylum?

There are far to many daft notices like this around.

5. roadrider

roadrider First Class Member

Jul 26, 2013
    Oxon
    If you read the owners manual it say's your bike should be washed after every ride!

Oh and that petrol is flammable,good job they told me,could have been nasty.

As said it's basically an arse covering exercise.

6. mr.h

mr.h Senior Member

May 29, 2013
    Lincolnshire
    I seriously like the look of the new XR whatever road version - since I tried a Tiger 800 while the Speed was being serviced earlier in the year I am thinking of one for my daily commute? Not a forest in sight but a few bridleways I could make use of :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  7. PJT

PJT Active Member

Oct 20, 2014
    Leicestershire. UK.
    I think it's well worth considering.:upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    They are a seriously good bike, comfortable, fast enough, reliable and not bad looking. Pity the lawyers have got involved at the marketing department

• Like Like x 1
  9. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012

Perhaps someone at Triumphs legal department are listening they have now altered the legal stuff at the end of the latest Tiger promo

New disclaimer Triumph.jpg

The bikes now have "light off road capability"

New disclaimer Triumph.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. PJT

PJT Active Member

Oct 20, 2014
    Leicestershire. UK.
    Makes more sense. Still like the video.

11. SteveJ

SteveJ Super Moderator

Aug 12, 2013
    North Hampshire
    Ahh but have they covered accidents that have been reported in the Darwin Awards

Exibit A: :biggrin:

This guy pushed his motorcycle from the patio into his living room, where he began to clean the engine with some rags and a bowl of gasoline, all in the comfort of his own home. When he finished, he sat on the motorcycle and decided to give his bike a quick start and make sure everything was still OK. Unfortunately, the bike started in gear, and crashed through the glass patio door with him still clinging to the handlebars.

His wife had been working in the kitchen. She came running at the fearful sound, and found him crumpled on the patio, badly cut from the shards of broken glass. She called 911, and the paramedics carried the unfortunate man to the Emergency Room.

Later that afternoon, after many stitches had pulled her husband back together, the wife brought him home and put him to bed. She cleaned up the mess in the living room, and dumped the bowl of gasoline in the toilet.

Shortly thereafter, her husband woke up, lit a cigarette, and went into the bathroom for a much-needed relief break. He sat down and tossed the cigarette into the toilet, which promptly exploded because the wife had not flushed the gasoline away. The explosion blew the man through the bathroom door.

The wife heard a loud explosion and the terrible sound of her husband's screams. She ran into the hall and found her husband lying on the floor with his trousers blown away and burns on his buttocks. The wife again ran to the phone and called for an ambulance.

The same two paramedics were dispatched to the scene. They loaded the husband on the stretcher and began carrying him to the street. One of them asked the wife how the injury had occurred. When she told them, they began laughing so hard that they dropped the stretcher, and broke the guy's collarbone.

• Like Like x 2
  12. sexysi

sexysi New Member

Jul 17, 2014
    This is my Tiger not going off road :rolleyes:

Another lane from the Bunkhouse Run with the TRF in Surrey, really enjoyed this lane, for some reason I dropped it the 2nd time I did this lane, but not this time.... go figure!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4qtrd0_z8w

• Like Like x 1
  13. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    You do a great job of keeping the Tiger upright down those lanes, I've only taken mine down a couple of very easy lanes. Have to say my WR 250F is much more suited to the green lanes and we had a great two days in Wales two weeks ago

We used a company called Trail Riding UK offer guided trail riding with bike hire in Wales & England - TrailRidingUK.com and the owner Steve took us round some fantastic lanes. My skills on an off road bike are limited but we still had a great time. Unlike the Tiger the WR is easy to pick up when dropped..... which I did on a regular basis.