765 Triumph Mirror Replacement

Discussion in 'Street Triple' started by Leon89, May 9, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Leon89

Leon89 New Member

May 9, 2019
    Sweden
    Hey guys this might sound silly but i dont know how to fix this problem. I just got my new Bar end mirrors from HJR. And want to remove my original mirrors but really this torx screw to remove the mirror it is fu*cking really hard to remove anyone? Maybe im doin something wrong.

This is allso 2018 765 model

2. Tommyj

Tommyj New Member

May 2, 2019
    Toronto Canada
    #2 Tommyj, May 20, 2019
    Last edited: May 20, 2019
    I have the same issue on my 2016 675R. I did some internet research which indicated that Triumph has secured the mirrors with Red Loctite, which requires heat or a huge amount of force to break. Tried to force it and thought I could risk stripping the T40 bolt. I removed the mirror, together with the clamp attaching it to the bars, and submerged the clamp where the mirror is attached in water which I had brought to a boil. Left it there for a couple of minutes and that was enough to weaken the Loctite so I could get the bolt out - still needed to hold the clamp with vice grips and use decent force. Then submerged the clamp and bolt in the hot water a second time to soften the Loctite so it could be cleaned off the threads. Technical data from Loctite says that heat of 550F is required to break the bond, but hot water at 200F was enough to weaken the bond.

I have to say that using Red Loctite is completely bone headed on Triumph's part.