Triumph Insurance........be Careful.

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by TripleGrey, Jul 12, 2023.

1. TripleGrey

TripleGrey New Member

Aug 19, 2022
    Bedfordshire UK
    Warning.......very boring post! I recently bought insurance for my Trident 660 from Triumph Insurance (Adrian Flux.) Policy arrived with a clause which excluded Theft cover within half a mile of my home, unless bike was in my garage at home! So no theft cover if I nipped to the local shops and left the bike outside.
    Obviously useless. I cancelled the policy immediately, and insured elsewhere. Glad I bothered to read it before the bike had a chance of being stolen.
    So......it might be boring as hell, but do read your policy carefully, especially if with Triumph Insurance.

Anyone else had this? Seems odd as I am a "mature" rider, living in not that bad an area, and it's only a Trident 660.

• Like Like x 4
    • Useful Useful x 4
  2. andyc1

andyc1 Lunarville 7, Airlock 3

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    I think most insurance companies have the same clause if you tell them the bikes kept in a garage.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    Mine has a similar clause that excludes theft of the bike(s) from my home address unless they're locked in the garage. A 1/2 mile "exclusion zone" seems a bit extreme and as you point out, feckin useless!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. TripleGrey

TripleGrey New Member

Aug 19, 2022
    Bedfordshire UK
    Not quite, I think. They often exclude theft overnight unless in the garage. But within half a mile, at any time of day?? Daft.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. andyc1

andyc1 Lunarville 7, Airlock 3

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    The half mile does seem like a lot

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Geoff Butler

Geoff Butler Never too old for Biking!

Apr 5, 2021
    Hampshire & Powys
    Yep, daft but that’s what my policy with Triumph Insurance says too o_O

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. TripleGrey

TripleGrey New Member

Aug 19, 2022
    Bedfordshire UK
    Are you OK with that?

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Geoff Butler

Apr 5, 2021
    Hampshire & Powys
    I felt like I didn't really have a choice and I have always been happy with them for multibike cover.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    Pretty sure my Z900rs policy through Bennetts says bike must be locked in my garage between hours of 10:00 pm and 6:00 am when parked at home. Not being insured half a mile away from your house is pretty useless.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Geoff Butler

Apr 5, 2021
    Hampshire & Powys
    Here’s the exact wording on my Triumph insurance policy schedule:

E434 EXCLUDING THEFT WHEN NOT IN PRIVATE GARAGE AT HOME OR DECLARED GARAGING ADDRESS
    You have agreed that you will keep your vehicle in your private locked garage or building, at your home and/or declared garaging address, to which
    only you and anyone with your permission have access. If a theft or attempted theft of your vehicle happens at any time and within a 500 metre
    radius of your home and/or declared garaging address when the vehicle is not locked in this garage or building we will not pay the claim. This
    restriction does not apply to any loss or damage occurring whilst your motorcycle is parked away from your home during the course of a journey

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. TripleGrey

TripleGrey New Member

Aug 19, 2022
    Bedfordshire UK
    Yes I am with Bennetts now and have the same overnight garaging warranty. I am fine with that, and I think that's reasonable. But not half a mile!
    I wonder if Triumph Motorcycles are aware of what Triumph Insurance are offering using the Triumph name.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. TripleGrey

TripleGrey New Member

Aug 19, 2022
    Bedfordshire UK
    That's not too bad because it doesn't apply "in the course of a journey." So you can go to the local shops!! The wording on my Triumph policy was different, hence I cancelled it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    The only theft clause in my policy is the following (actual policy wording).
    If you have stated that you will keep your motorcycle in a garage you must ensure it is kept there when unattended at ALL times whilst at the declared garaging address in order for theft cover to apply. No other restrictions whatsoever. I pay £90 fully comp with both sons as named riders, also fully comp.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Dawsy

Dawsy Cumbrian half-wit
    Subscriber

Aug 24, 2018
    Cumbria
    Mine says the bike must be kept in a locked brick building when at home address. I asked what that meant if I was cleaning it on the drive, went to put kettle on and it got nicked. She 'thought' as I was sort of using the bike it would be covered. Clear as mud.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. SpeedTwin1200

SpeedTwin1200 Senior Member

Jul 21, 2019
    Hampshire
    Same here with a Triumph multibike policy. Had the same discussion as you Dawsy but what "she" thought would be interpreted differently if you made a claim I'm sure.
    I still have the policy unfortunately. I don't like it, I don't like that Bikesure and Triumph Insurance are just other trading names for Adrian Flux either. I especially don't like the fact you can't add a temporary named rider (son or brother) onto a multibike policy. The only solution is to have a separate policy for that bike it seems, which I've done but you can't take any no claims bonus onto a new policy.
    It's all a monopoly, a rip-off and probably subject to a Government plan to price us off the road.

Anyway, I'm lucky enough to have lockable gates to my drive for when I go indoors to make a cuppa.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. SpeedTwin1200

SpeedTwin1200 Senior Member

Jul 21, 2019
    Hampshire
    That's a very reasonable price Iceman, who do you use?

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. timboo

timboo Senior Member

Oct 17, 2021
    Cambridgeshire
    My policy with Triumph is exactly the same re the half a mile. Had a very similar conversation when I originally took mine out seems bonkers.
    Bike never leaves my sight I don’t trust verbal advice over the phone suggesting a trip to the shop will be ok.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    I am insured with Markerstudy via Carol Nash broker, the only downside is a £400 excess, due to 2 additional (sons) named riders being fully comp, we do swap during some rides, although riding my eldest sons Panigale 1299s only lasts a short time as of 71 I am starting to feel some aches and pains. Ride safe all from an ageing Rocker.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Essex
    Bikesure the same. However, the Insurance Act 2015, specifically the clause
    Duty of utmost good faith: consumer and non-consumer contracts, would seem to mean that they would still have to pay out if, say, you left your bike outside while you went back in to get your gear on. I am not a lawyer, and would not like to find out if this is really the case by having my bike nicked. However, I think most people would have a reasonable expectation that they would be covered if something like this happened. Insurance companies like to frighten customers, but the reality is that they have to pay out. Trying to make them is another matter.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Baza

Baza Elite Member

Jul 25, 2020
    Amazing Grace
    Just a note on the cost of insurance. I recently insured the 22 year old Ducati. Single bike policy fully comp, value £5k, restricted mileage as I will use the Striple for long journeys.

I did all the usual comparison sites and they were all coming up with Performance Direct at £82 which included legal cover but no personal injury or breakdown. I then went to TopCashback who have their own comparison facility and it showed exactly the same result as all the others.

The only difference is that once the policy has been running for 6 weeks or so I get £26 cashback which gives a net cost of £56 instead of £82 that was quoted by all the usual comparison sites.

• Useful Useful x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1