Triumph fans.

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Leegrimo, Jul 25, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Leegrimo

Leegrimo Active Member

Apr 30, 2016
    Manchester
    my bikes a street triple and iv never seen the fan working ? Do all triumphs fans only run at high temp ?

2. stollydriver

stollydriver Elite Member

Apr 25, 2015
    north wales
    I am a big fan of triumph - I stopped running years ago. On a serious note my Explorer had t get really hot before the fan tripped on.

3. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    The radiator fan on my Trident rarely kicks in.:cool:

The radiator fan on my Daytona 955i was MUCH more enthusiastic, kicking in on a much more regular basis. Apparently, those particular Daytonas do tend to run a bit on the hot side.:eek:

4. MikeyDaytona

MikeyDaytona Member

Apr 24, 2016
    Suffolk
    On the Street Triple I'm buying during the test ride the fan kicked in around 3 times but was only in traffic and was quite a hot day.

My daytona would get to around 103 degrees before the fan would kick in

5. Leegrimo

Leegrimo Active Member

Apr 30, 2016
    Manchester
    Thanks a lot guys the manual says it comes on when you start the bike. I don't think iv ever seen mine on.

• Like Like x 1
  6. MikeyDaytona

MikeyDaytona Member

Apr 24, 2016
    Suffolk
    I guess it's always running but properly kicks in when the thermostat gets up to temp. Must say the STR fan is so much quieter than the Daytona...that thing sounded like a space launch when it kicked in!

7. Leegrimo

Leegrimo Active Member

Apr 30, 2016
    Manchester
    I don't think iv ever heared mine running that's what makes me think it's not working lol.

8. MikeyDaytona

MikeyDaytona Member

Apr 24, 2016
    Suffolk
    Could always leave it running after riding it for a bit and see if it kicks in at a standstill but I'm sure it is working :)

9. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Never had the fan running on my Trident and the temp gauge barely came off the bottom quarter.

10. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    I've had the fan running on the Tiger a couple of times but only when I park up, turn the engine off and on a hot day. It will stay on for perhaps 20 secs? then turn itself off. Seems like good engine protection to me.

11. MikeyDaytona

MikeyDaytona Member

Apr 24, 2016
    Suffolk
    That's always something that concerner me with the Daytona.. when you switch the bike off you switch the fan off which cant do the engine any good...I hope the STR keeps the fan running after turning off as I agree with you...good engine protection

12. DreadySteve

DreadySteve Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Bournemouth
    My can is too loud to hear if my fan runs .....;)

• Like Like x 2
  13. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    I recently used TuneECU to reduce the temp to 95c when the fan kicks in, it is on a lot as half my journey is in London
    It was previously at 108c! but someone pointed out why wouldl it be set so high where it is already boiling!
    The fan is noticable on my Speedie 2010, not the quietest

14. MikeyDaytona

MikeyDaytona Member

Apr 24, 2016
    Suffolk
    What is this TuneECU I keep hearing about

15. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    TuneECU is a downloadable free to use program which will allow you to connect to your Triumph/KTM/Aprillia to acces the bike's ECU and do a variety of stuff.

See here : http://www.tuneecu.com/TuneECU_En/index.html

16. MikeyDaytona

MikeyDaytona Member

Apr 24, 2016
    Suffolk
    That sounds dangerous haha.. if i change the exhaust on my STR do I need to definitely remap the bike and do they have premade maps ready to download?

17. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi MD, it's important to understand what TuneECU is, and what it is not. As I said before it's a free program and a centre for peeps to post their own and factory maps. It is not a place that offers guarantees on the maps listed on it's site.

Yes you would be advised to remap if you change the exhaust for something more open/louder. There are a range of maps listed which have been developed, have a look to see the specs of each one to find something suitable.

So you try at your own risk. However, the very first thing you should do when using TuneECU for the first time is to download a copy of the bike's existing fuelling map onto your computer and save it somewhere secure for any future use.

That way if you download any of the bespoke maps and they don't suit your bike's configuration, then you can always go back to the original map.

It's not complicated to do, but the first time - like with most things - it's a little nerve-wracking !!

18. MikeyDaytona

MikeyDaytona Member

Apr 24, 2016
    Suffolk
    I'm not entirely sure what exhaust to go for as of yet...after spending some time on the net last night I'm starting to come away from the twin underseat style and more towards the side slung look..I don't want an ear bleeder for an exhaust but I also want to make it worth changing for noise so something mid range would be perfect if anyone has any suggestions??

I can imagine it is a bit worrying to begin with..the ECU is, in effect, the brain of the bike. I'll definitely look into it but can't say I won't have my eyes closed when I click download haha