Triumph Daytona 600 2004 Fuel Pump Connectors (fuel line connectors) problem

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by slick-rick, Jan 3, 2014.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. slick-rick

slick-rick Guest

Hi there,

There is a common problem with the Daytona 600 in which the fuel hose connectors which attach to the metal plate on the bottom of the fuel pump break. This is because they are cheap plastic which goes brittle and lets face it, shouldnt be there in the first place.

So I have been doing a spark plug change (my first time) and upon lifting the tank the connector broke and fuel went everywhere. So I took the tank to my local bike mechanic who said to buy a fuel pump from ebay (second hand from a breakers) for £65 and just use that as they couldnt fix the plastic bit which goes into the plate/pump.

I also called triumph so said for £18 for the 1 connector and then £60 labour they can scrape out the plastic which is basically threaded and glued into a metal thread on the plate itself. And then bond the new connector in place. So for £68 ish they could do that.

The thing is I dont want an old connector, or a new plastic one, I would like a metal one. Does anyone know where I can get this part from or has anyone got an suggestions to help me out please.

Also I was told that there is a fuel filter for the daytona 600 which from triumph is really expensive but a compatible one can be bought from europarts for far cheaper, can anyone suggest a good cheapish fuel filter for me?

Here are some pictures to show you, its the red connectors has broken away from the metal plate:

20140103_124145.jpg 301825.jpg

20140103_124145.jpg

301825.jpg

2. slick-rick

slick-rick Guest

Please note the red connector has now fully snapped off and all you see is the hole and the plastic threaded part still glued in the hole there.

Thanks for your help.

3. PeteH

PeteH Active Member

Oct 1, 2013
    Chester
    #3 PeteH, Jan 3, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
    First off there should have been a recall for this problem or part of it http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls/searches/search.asp I had the plastic elbows on my Tiger replaced a couple of years ago at a dealer due to recall but stangely they didnt change the female fitting.
    Have a gander in TigerTriple or TriumphRAT as there is loads of info on this issue and the parts may be the same as what you require

edit to add - just checked on Worldoftriumph and they use the same part numbers..

edit again to add....http://www.tom-parker.co.uk/product...products_groups=8150&products_subgroups=8150A try these for any bits that Triumph should have fixed under the recall...

• Like Like x 3
  4. Paulie

Paulie Member

Jan 4, 2014
    Hey slick-rick, I recognise that problem: I had the same issue about 1,5 year ago (with my Sprint ST 955i 2004). I remember that I 'googled around' to find a solution for the broken connector, doing so I found a lot of info about a Triumph recall back in 2003-2004 for all the Sprint, Tiger & Daytona's 955i models with the same fuel connectors. My Triumph dealer changed the broken (genuine Triumph) 'plastic elbows' for some new (genuine) Triumph connectors (same plastic again!). After some days, I discovered a better solution on the web: The 520 Chain Cafe: replacing Triumph plastic fuel fittings
    If I ever get that same problem (hopefully NOT) with my Daytona 955i (2002), at least I know what kind of connectors I should look for! Greetz, Paulie:wink:

• Like Like x 1
  5. slick-rick

slick-rick Guest

@Paulie and @PeterH thank you both for your advice. I checked it over with Triumph in the UK and the recall doesnt apply here unfortunately. I wasn't confident to do this job myself, although I got most of the plastic out I was worried about damaging the thread. I took the tank over to triumph and they charged me £58 (I bartered them down haha) to remove the plastic, whack in a new connector and add a fuel filter which I purchased separately. Although not ideal because the connectors are still plastic its solved the problem for a couple more years hopefully.

Thanks again for your advice!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Antrats73

Antrats73 Member

Jan 7, 2014
    Found this thread very helpful I had an issue with the fuel cap drain being blocked so lifted the tank removed and unblocked the nipple just putting the tank back down and SNAP the red clip went, I ordered a new one from triumph £33.50 posted ouch!!!! But then found this thread with the metal ones so going to order those I think? Here's a few pics of the part before and after I removed it it wasn't the easiest think to remove but got there in the end!!
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  7. Crylex

Crylex New Member

Jun 29, 2014
    Hi

I've just done the exact same thing to my Daytona 600 - did you use any special techniques to remove it?

Chris

8. PeteH

PeteH Active Member

Oct 1, 2013
    Chester
    Follow the link in Paulie's post or use a heated screwdriver, then depending if your UK or States follow the links to order metal fittings, resist the urge to replace with plastic items....

9. Antrats73

Antrats73 Member

Jan 7, 2014
    #9 Antrats73, Jun 29, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2014
    I just used some very small screwdrivers and a thin blade trying to avoid the threads best I could the metal replacement went in fine though heres an eBay link to the one I bought but you can get them a bit cheaper but I went for the better looking quality one which when arrived was very sturdy and well made! Hope this helps!!

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=300864844684

• Like Like x 1
  10. Crylex

Crylex New Member

Jun 29, 2014
    Hi

Thanks for that, should be reading instead of skimming.

Chris

11. slick-rick

slick-rick Guest

I took the tank off and took it to triumph to fix and they did it all in for about £52 including the connector didnt want to risk messing up the thread and having to buy a new fuel pump.

12. Crylex

Crylex New Member

Jun 29, 2014
    Hi

All fixed now - scraped out plastic connectors, put in new metal ones, replaced the O rings on the fuel line plugs, and have nice new shiny connectors. Took some time, but definitely worth it.

Cheers

Chris

13. Paul Oatway

Paul Oatway New Member

Jun 10, 2018
    France
    Hi. It has happened to my Tiger 955i. Plastic has snapped and fuel everywhere! Does any one know who supplies metal fuel connectors in the UK? Thanks.