Triumph Colorways

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Jet City, Oct 30, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Jet City

Jet City Noble Member
    Subscriber

Sep 24, 2018
    Seattle, Washington USA
    A few people have commented on the Trident thread about the conservative colorways that the new Trident is available in. It basically comes in black, white, and gray with silver or red accents.

These are fine colors for a motorbike, but I immediately flashed back to the old Speed Triple colors. And then I felt some disappointment in my favorite motorcycle company. Isn't the Trident pitched at young people, people who are relatively new to motorbikes? Shouldn't it exude a little more fun?

The Speed Triple used to come in some eye searing colors, which was part of the Triple's charm. But now it's white or black or gray--perfectly fine colors but they just seem wrong for a bike with the attitude of the Speed Triple.

I have a Speed Twin (black), feel the same way about the conservative colorways for the Speed Twin, and am actually planning a respray in a more active (but still Triumph) color.

With the help of the internet I've made a little table to evaluate just how conservative Triumph is with their colorways. These are the 2021 colors direct from Triumph's site.

Trident - White, black, gray

Street Triple - Gray, black, red

Speed Triple - White, black, gray

Street Twin - Black, red, and gray

Speed Twin - Black, silver, dark red

Street Scram - White, red, silver, green and silver (two tone)

Scram 1200 - Black, green, blue

Bobber - Black, red, khaki, red and silver (two tone)

Bobber TFC - Black

Speedmaster - Black, black and white, blue and white

T100 - Black, red, blue and white (two tone)

T120 - Black, silver, gray and orange (two tone), blue and white (two tone)

Thruxton - Silver, black

Thruxton RS - Black and silver (two tone)

Thruxton TFC - Black

Daytona - Black

Rocket - Red or gray (although to be honest it looks fantastic in either color)

All Tigers - Red, black, white, blue, or green

If all of the black, gray, silver, and white bikes were removed from this chart there wouldn't be much left.

So ladies and gents, what do you all think about this?

• Like Like x 2
  2. Stramasher

Stramasher Senior Member

Jun 10, 2020
    ex-0141
    See aprillia 660. The mad yellow with red wheels, practically zero graphics. Lovely.

but what do I know I bought a sparkly primer and black striped Speed Twin.

not sure I would have the bottle to buy one in “Nuclear Red”

Love the big triumph graphics on the trident though.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Jet City

Jet City Noble Member
    Subscriber

Sep 24, 2018
    Seattle, Washington USA
    Yeah, the yellow Aprilia 660. Exactly right. :cool:

Remember the Triumph Strontium Yellow? The Roulette Green was cool too although not my personal cup of tea.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    I am getting seriously worried by the number of interior designers popping up on this forum. ;)

• Funny Funny x 11
  5. Oldskool

Oldskool Elite Member

Jan 29, 2019
    Hertfordshire
    An interesting topic. At the Birmingham bike show in 2019 ( the biggest UK bike show) I was talking to a sales guy on the Triumph stand and asked if I wanted to take part in some customer research on future models. I said yes and was whisked away into a separate booth and shown some sketch details of future colour schemes and asked to comment on each. The bike was apparently a “generic model” not a bike in manufacture. None of the multi colour schemes offered looked good, the bikes looked best in single colour blocks and I responded in this way. Now the Trident has been released, I think the bike outline they used may have been this bike, even though they said it was a mock up. So, it appears they are researching the way to go but perhaps the demographic of the people they are asking is wrong ? It’s a difficult thing to get right based upon their classic tag line and play on nostalgia. I quite like the look of the new Trident with the flag on the tank, the other multi coloured bikes don’t do much for me. I ride a 2018 Speed Triple RS in white and I think that was a good scheme. The 2020 bikes were not to my taste.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Tallpaul

Tallpaul Noble Member

Apr 7, 2019
    Kidderminster
    Already made my comments about colours on the Trident thread. Poor showing and lack of imagination by the team responsible.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Jet City

Jet City Noble Member
    Subscriber

Sep 24, 2018
    Seattle, Washington USA
    Paul, you are allowed to make an unlimited number of comments ;)

• Funny Funny x 3
  8. DCS222

DCS222 Guest

I know @dilligaf comes from the dark side and would like everything so black that no light escapes... ever!

personally I like colour on a bike/car and I’m pretty bored with all the pewter/grey/dark silver stuff out there. It can’t be too big a deal to do a ltd run of tanks and highlights on a pre-order basis can it? Bring on the rainbow special or the pink sparkle unicorn edition... (only joking @Duckadiledundee) but I love black and yellow bikes, one needs adding to the range!!!
    :D

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Stramasher

Stramasher Senior Member

Jun 10, 2020
    ex-0141
    Paint the wheels anything but black. Job jobbed.

eg Street Triple black with the gold wheels , JPS N****n a-like. Sweet. And makes bikes look 10kg lighter.

Callumity, mate I'm more Got None than Gok Wan.

10. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Now don’t you come over all Lawrence Llewelyn Bowen......

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. Stephen Martin

Stephen Martin Senior Member

Aug 31, 2020
    Isle of Wight
    So it's your fault then ;)

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. Jet City

Jet City Noble Member
    Subscriber

Sep 24, 2018
    Seattle, Washington USA
    It just occurred to me, the Brits reading this thread have no idea what it is about because I repeatedly misspelled the word “colour”.

Sorry about that, it’s still a little rustic out here in the colonies.

• Funny Funny x 4
  13. Oldskool

Oldskool Elite Member

Jan 29, 2019
    Hertfordshire
    Errrm, errrrrrrrm. I feckin hope not !!! :joy::joy:o_O

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. learningtofly

learningtofly He’s not the Messiah, he’s a very naughty boy!
    Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    I agree that the colour choices are a bit dull, particularly on a bike that for me has no stand-out features in terms of design. Opportunity missed?

Saying that, I seem to have gone from this

[​IMG]

to this

[​IMG]

so I can't talk :D

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Jet City

Jet City Noble Member
    Subscriber

Sep 24, 2018
    Seattle, Washington USA