Triumph Bonneville T120 Chain Adjustment

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Les1954, Jun 12, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Les1954

Les1954 New Member

May 30, 2016
    Cheshire
    I have recently purchased a Triumph Bonneville T120 but have noticed that there is very little chain adjustment on this model.

Chain adjusted at around 200 miles and there is only about 1/8 of an inch left to adjust.

Has anybody had this same problem.

2. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    That doesn't sound right at all Les. Are you sure that there is the correct amount of slack as it stands today?

3. Les1954

Les1954 New Member

May 30, 2016
    Cheshire

4. NN65

NN65 New Member

May 13, 2017
    Vietnam
    Yes it came short of adjustment left.

Perfect if you fit a 39 teeth rear sprocket, with the immense advantage of lowering the gearing, which was too tall for me stock. --maybe not for you if you intend to run the bike over 150kph, but a blast in town and on my roads.

5. Rosti

Rosti New Member

Jul 22, 2017
    Uk
    Hi. I’m experiencing a similar problem. I’ve bought a new Bonneville t100 and only after covering a little over a thousand miles the drive chain is almost at maximum adjustment. I have read online about to long chains being fitted on several Triumph models from new. I’ll be having a talk with my local dealer!

• Like Like x 1
  6. DesertRat

DesertRat Member

Oct 10, 2017
    Yuscon, AZ USA
    Mine came that way too, as did the two Tiger800's I had before that. Walk around the showroom and you'll see most of the new bikes with a 'long' chain. If it gets to be a problem I'll try taking a link out of the chain.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Alectron

Alectron Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2018
    Northumerland
    2016 Bonneville T120 Chain
    After replacing a back tyre at T dealership i was told the chain had stretched (after just 8.000m) and needs replacing!
    But I don't think they know how to adjust the correct chain slack, i think the guy doing the job is an apprentice but left on his own, there was a match on!
    It was so tight when I got the bike back, hardly any slack at all.
    I measured the chain over 21 links and it's 3 mm short of the maximum, re adjusted and it looks better but now nervously riding the bike.
    8000 miles on a new bikes chain doesn't seem much to me?
    The chain is constantly lubricated and not ridden hard at all, dealership wants £150 for a chain kit and same to fit which is just outrageous to me.
    Any views on this will be appreciated.