Triumph Bonneville SE running Poorly

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Misterpinty, Aug 25, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Misterpinty

Misterpinty New Member

Aug 25, 2016
    Belgium
    Hello:

I have a 2011 Bonneville SE that started running poorly all of a sudden.
    I was on my way home when it started running rough, missing and idling poorly. It starts fine and runs ok for a few seconds and then starts to miss. It gets even worse when you give it some gas. I can start the motor and it will run for a minute of so, and then it start to miss, sputter miss more frequently then die.

I can restart the bike immediately and it will go through the same progression just a little faster.

Do you have any idea of what to check and how to fix the issue myself? I bought my Bonneville 2 weeks ago it has only 2000km on it and I don't know if it can be the issue but today was a really hot day.

Thanks Luca Bruxelles

2. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hello Luca and welcome to the Triumph Asylum.

As your bike is a 2011 it will be an EFi bike. With the EFI they have sensors called "MAP or Manifold Absolute Pressure" sensors. These work to measure the amount of negative pressure in the throttle body and are VITAL for the smooth running of your bike.

There is a rubber/plastic pipe that goes between the throttle body of each faux carbureter and the actual MAP sensor above it. It is not at all unknown for this pipe/throttle connection to become compromised and allow part of the vacuum to escape. Examine these pipes and their connection points very carefully. With the engine running, spray some WD-40 in the area of the pipe/TB joint and listen to the engine. If the engine note changes you have a leak of vacuum.

Now you have to find out where?????

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. Misterpinty

Misterpinty New Member

Aug 25, 2016
    Belgium
    Wow that was a fast and complete answer thanks.

I was already on ebay searching for fuel filter and air filter.
    It was weird cause the bike was running really nicely, then all of sudden the engine maintenance light went on and while riding the bike stopped running.

I will perform the actions you suggested and let you know.

Thanks again
    Luca

4. Andy_S

Andy_S Active Member

Jul 19, 2016
    Kingston upon Hull
    Fuel tank vent blocked perhaps. Remove the filler cap and try again you never know.
    Good luck.
    Andy

5. Misterpinty

Misterpinty New Member

Aug 25, 2016
    Belgium
    Thanks a lot I really appreciate it.

I got my dream bike two weeks ago and having to deal with this issue was really unexpected.

I will follow all your advises.

BR
    Luca

6. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi Luca I don't think you mentioned the light before? but that definitely indicates something more electronic rather that a blocked vent.

I strongly suggest you check the MAP pipes but also in addition check the electrical connections for the 2 O² sensors installed in the downpipes.

7. Andy_S

Andy_S Active Member

Jul 19, 2016
    Kingston upon Hull
    Let us know how you get on. If nothing changes I'm sure we'll be able to make some more suggestions. Even if it's only I'll give you a tenner for it sold as seen:D:D

• Like Like x 1
  8. Misterpinty

Misterpinty New Member

Aug 25, 2016
    Belgium
    Hello everybody.

I checked the bike and the engine light was off so I went for a ride for about 20 minutes and everything seemed fine. I had a stop for a an hour for a beer and when I took the bike it started but after 200 meters the light went on and again the same problem. I am started thinking it could be either a fuse or a clogh somewhere maybe the fuel filter. What do you think?

Thanks
    Luca

9. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi Luca, there are only a few things that could trip the engine warning light and they are all electronic. As there is no sensor to check fuel pressure it is unlikely to be fuel pressure related.

Have you checked the other items I suggested, or am I just wasting my time?

10. Misterpinty

Misterpinty New Member

Aug 25, 2016
    Belgium
    I am on it right now :)

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

11. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi Luca in your first picture you show the MAP vacuum pipes. The leaks almost always occur where the short soft rubber piece meets the brass spigot on the TB (throttle body). Yours looks like it needs a bit of attention between the soft rubber bit and the harder plastic curved pipe.

12. Misterpinty

Misterpinty New Member

Aug 25, 2016
    Belgium
    I pushed them in as harder I could and checked everything you said. I have also performed the wd 40 trick but nothing change. I checked all the pipes and air box but I could find no leaks. The bike starts normally but the light is on. I will keep up with my research :)

Thanks again for all the help

13. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    1. Re the engine light - this tripped when one of the sensors supplies information to the ECU outside the limits programmed. Here is a list (as best as I can remember) of the sensors in question: MAP sensors x 2; O² sensors x 2; oil temp sensor; air temp sensor; crank sensor.

2. If the fault that generated the light to illuminate was only temporary, then after 3 cycles of the engine going from cold to hot to cold, it will extinguish.

14. Misterpinty

Misterpinty New Member

Aug 25, 2016
    Belgium
    So just to keep you update, today i have just tried to start the bike and now the battery seemed to be dead although when I plugged it (as per pic) was not totally down.
    Anyhow I have also bought the ombd ll diagnosis machine which should be arrive on Tuesday to solve the mistery.

To be continued....

image.jpeg

15. Misterpinty

Misterpinty New Member

Aug 25, 2016
    Belgium
    Hi all

So I got the result from the OBD.

I have a fault P1698 voltage control circuit malfunction.
    From what I am reading it is annoying one.

Any idea on where to start?

Thanks in advance

Luca

16. Misterpinty

Misterpinty New Member

Aug 25, 2016
    Belgium
    So I found another guy with the same problem of mine and the problem from him was coming from a TPS short wire.
    I went back to the bike I started checking my wires and I found close to battery case the attached one which was disconnect but I cannot figure out where it goes.

DO you have any ideas?

Thanks in advance

14171953_10153641392855216_608055840_n.jpg

17. David Wheatley

David Wheatley New Member

May 28, 2017
    Torpoint
    I have recently started to have similar problem but without engine warning light, have run real low on fuel once or twice so possibly fuel filter? anyone agree?