Triumph Boneville Street Twin Tyre Selection

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by Indiana Jones, Sep 30, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones New Member

Sep 30, 2019
    cheshire
    hello everyone

I have just purchased a street twin ( 1st Sept) and just want to make a post for other new riders to the bike … please do change the tyres before encountering wet roads … I found out to my detriment with the first wet ride , going very slowly through approx., 1cm of water the bike just slipped from under me …it appears the tyres on the bike as standard are more for dry weather riding and "the look", rather than all round riding … I have now swopped the tyres out but again due to the size of the wheels there is very little choice on the market …

The bike is marketed at inexperienced riders and ladies .. I have been riding for 10 years and travelled a lot on my last bike in Europe ( 9 countries alone last year ) so although you never stop learning I am not a beginner to biking

Really hope this helps anyone looking to purchase this bike

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    Hi Indy, and welcome in :cool::cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Dartplayer

Dartplayer Crème de la Crème

Aug 8, 2018
    New Zealand
    Hi IJ and welcome to the forum :cool: Not good, but sounds like no harm done but your pride. Good to pass on to others but brand would help them know if the purchased the same.
    I had Avon cobras fitted to my Bonnie, but have heard other brands fitted as well

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Vulpes

Vulpes Confused Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    Hi and welcome.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Hi mate and welcome

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. David Cooper

David Cooper Triumph Rocketeer.
    Subscriber

Hello and welcome to the forum Indy.

98636c6ee64925a19858f8a491d300d2.gif

• Like Like x 1
  7. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    I was thinking similar thoughts. All tyres need some scrubbing in and who knows what contamination lay under the water..... Today’s Pirellis are light years ahead of 1970s Bridgestones on wet roads.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Notso

Notso Senior Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Solihull
    Which tire gave way? I have wondered about the front before as the tread doesn't look particularly deep for the size of tire, but I am no expert so perhaps it is normal. I picked my Street Twin up on a damp day and the dealer made a point of saying to go easy as the tires need wearing in, which I thought a little specific at the time given everything else to think about with a new bike, wonder if there is something known about the release agent point made by Ron.

The loss of control does sound extreme even for that though. I will be interested to see which tyres are preferred. Have read lots of people go for Avon Storm 3D XM tires.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Notso

Notso Senior Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Solihull
    Which tire gave way? I have wondered about the front before as the tread doesn't look particularly deep for the size of tire, but I am no expert so perhaps it is normal. I picked my Street Twin up on a damp day and the dealer made a point of saying to go easy as the tires need wearing in, which I thought a little specific at the time given everything else to think about with a new bike, wonder if there is something known about the release agent point made by Ron.

The loss of control does sound extreme even for that though. I will be interested to see which tyres are preferred. Have read lots of people go for Avon Storm 3D XM tires.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    I completely agree but the road surface and conditions are also part of the equation. I am disinclined to speculate so take it as a cautionary tale..... Personally I favour Michelins under me but that is preference not science.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    That is entirely possible. Tyres are not a showroom deal breaker unlike price.....

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Notso

Notso Senior Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Solihull
    Yep, I am a slow typer!

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Hi Mate & Welcome to the Forum :cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. RO73

RO73 Active Member

Jul 17, 2019
    Virginia, USA
    Thanks for posting about this. I am still riding on the stock Pirellis. I plan on switching them out to Continental Road Attack 3 tires. I've heard nothing but good things about them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. ljgbytes

ljgbytes New Member

Oct 1, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Hi Guys newbie on here, but would like to add to Indiana's post on the tyre choice she has, Pirelli Scorpion Trail 11's now on the bike, and the difference is amazing for her to ride. the phantoms had 350 miles on them and she was complaining from the start the bike was not behaving. Still I think the evil beast in now conforming to it's reputation and as for the phantoms, the front tyre should not even be sold, have a good day.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. ljgbytes

ljgbytes New Member

Oct 1, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Indiana now has Pirelli scorpion trail 11's on the difference is amazing!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. ljgbytes

ljgbytes New Member

Oct 1, 2019
    United Kingdom
    She now has Pirelli Scorpion Trail 11's on and the ride is totally different, but the 17 front wheel limits tyre choice, she is more than happy now that she has some grip with the new tyres
    :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Hi and welcome to the forum :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire