Triumph America First ever ride of a cruiser yesterday

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Englishman, Nov 17, 2013.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Englishman

Englishman Member

Nov 9, 2013
    #1 Englishman, Nov 17, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
    Picture the scene if you will, sun shining, 10 degrees, not bad for November and snow on the way they say, Sitting on the bike in the garage going "blat,blat,blat,blat. with my gob I had a choice. Just pop up the road a few miles to see if it actually works, or wait until April and go for a proper ride. The bike was delivered by West Yorkshire Triumph so I've not ridden it other than to the end of our street and back.

So, gear on and off we go, initial impressions hey this thing is light as a feather, then ............... "WTF" I'm doing 60 and it feels like I'm on my second round with Iron Mike. Old roman road we are on so a little extra twist to speed up to 70 and things oddly seemed to calm down. Possibly a big screen needed for distance work methinks. My house to Portsmouth ferry terminal is 278 miles but with a little more acclimatization, a screen may prove unnecessary.

What I have an issue with is the awkward position of the gear lever, I think this must be how the original owner liked it but its uncomfortable to use so I will adjust this before the next ride. Its just too high, angle of the foot-peg to gear changer is about 45 degrees. Perhaps I'm missing something here and it may be factory setting but set up thus; means that one must hold the left foot in that position the whole time. I can replicate the problem at home for you if you would care to indulge in the experience. Sit on a dining chair, legs outstretched as if you are on a triumph America. Feet at 45 degrees inclination to replicate the set up, its almost impossible to raise either foot any higher so imagine this on the bike and trying to change up the gears. By the way, I'm reasonably fit, I walk miles everyday so its not me!

Anyhow, That's the one and only issue, I quickly got used to the windblast, I do think the pipes are too loud however so I might change them back for the originals yet. Will the ECU have been altered to allow for the slash cut triumph pipes or is it a case of just swapping them willy nilly? Perhaps I'm just a pussy and should get a grip and dig the loud pipes.

So, ride itself was 60 miles, all North Yorkshire country roads with the odd fast A road blat thrown in. Seat is comfy as stock but I want a single seat so will buy one from somewhere, What I really like is the low speed manoeuvrability. Pushing this thing around feels like handling a scooter after my big touring bikes. I traded a Varadero 1000 in for this bike which was stupidly heavy.

I feel that this bike is much more a part of the ride itself than other bikes, Hard to get this point across, even for a man of my intellect, but its akin to riding a horse or something. One isn't thinking about how fast one can exit an apex for example, as would be the case on a different machine. On the twisties, I find that counter steering on the huge tiller like bars is productive and I got around every corner without drama. Acceleration was plenty satisfactory for this type of bike and I did a few overtakes without any worries.

Just remembered, Its a bit harsh on the bumps from both the front and back. Possibly this will bed in a lot with some use.

In summary, a very different bike, initial ride spoiled by the gear-change position but I will be happy to take this bike to Spain in June and it looks so much cooler than the Varadero which had its own virtues of course.

UPDATE, just did the adjustment, dropped it to about 25 degrees, easy as putting a hat on your head so now all good.

Al

2. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Swadlincote Derbyshire England
    Nice write up and glad your enjoying the bike :upyeah:

3. P19DJG

P19DJG Banned

Mar 16, 2013
    Hi Al, glad you enjoyed your little pootle & are settling in nicely with the cruiser. Took me about 300 miles to get proper settled in & find a riding position that i enjoyed & found comfortable.

I have the Triumph roadster screen on mine & have ridden the bike with & without it fitted. With it fitted totally kills the windblast, depending how tall you are obviously. Without the screen, yes you do get battered about a bit. I wear an open faced helmet & with the screen fitted its not a problem but without the screen i wear one of those neoprene masks to protect my face from small stones, flies & general shit that gets thrown your way. Admittedly the bikes look so much better without the screen, with screens you feel like something from CHiPS.

View attachment 2376

I too had to adjust my gear lever. My America has had footboards fitted by the previous owner & had a heel/toe gear selector (like the old Honda C50/C70/C90). I couldnt get use to the heel/toe changer so put a standard gear selector back on & all is good now.

View attachment 2377

View attachment 2378

Although i cant compare footboards to original foot pegs as i have never ridden an America with footpegs fitted, i can confirm that the footboards are really comfortable & allow for more variety in your feet positioning.

As for the exhausts, if i recall correctly from your pictures of the bike you have long slashcut TORS fitted? Thats the same as i have. Personally, i dont find them too loud, pleasant rumble with a nice little backfire on deceleration (banging like a shit house door in a storm). Trust me, the standard exhausts are horrible! They make the bike sound like a sewing machine!
    Do you listen to music with earphones or wear earplugs whilst riding? If not, give it a try to muffle out the sound of the pipes on longer journeys. If you feel the bike needs remapping after reverting back to the standard exhausts you can use a laptop, comms lead & the tuneecu software from the internet to make the desired adjustments. Alternatively, man the fuck up & accept you now have a real mans bike!

I have the twin seat set up on mine & when i had the seats & backrest re-upholstered in red/black leather i took the opportunity to add a foam insert into the riders seat for extra cushioning.

The road bumps & pot holes do feel quite hard with the America/Speedmaster. Try playing around with your tyre pressures to iron some of it out without compromising road holding obviously. Have a play with your suspension settings or failing that, a lot of people take the plunge & go for replacememnt progressive shock absorbers at the rear with progressive springs & fresh oil up the front. Alternatively, man the fuck up & live with it! Avoid the potholes & stop whinging! :wink:

• Like Like x 2
  4. Englishman

Englishman Member

Nov 9, 2013
    Thanks both

Pig, your efforts are much appreciated, I think I will look for one of them "quick release screens" the ride to the ferry will be much better and I can ditch the screen at the hotel in Spain/France. For summer riding in the UK I will just leave it at home.

What became of your Heel Toe selector? I have never tried one, might like it. I do fancy boards, so who knows what I will end up doing. There is a set on ebay now but they say they are for a carb model. Can they really differ? They seem to include brake and gear pedal also!!

Dunno about exhausts, What is tors? They are long slash cut.

Thanks for info on tyre pressure, I will have a dabble.

Did another short ride today, much better with the new gear selector position but I will still fit boards.

Al

5. P19DJG

P19DJG Banned

Mar 16, 2013
    The Triumph footboards like mine will also fit early EFI models then they became a more teardrop shape.

Mine are as follows:

FOOTBOARD KIT - Triumph Motorcycle Part Number: A9758036 - EFI models up to Vin No: 46839

TORS are Triumph off road exhausts. For the America/Speedmaster they come in either long or short, both of which have slashcut tails.

6. Tinabiker

Tinabiker New Member

Nov 16, 2013
    Southleigh in Devon
    Hi Englishman. I liked your reply to my forum post so I have done loads of travelling abroad. Went round Europe for 3360 miles on a Yammy in 2001.

My Triumph is set up with pegs still as I had footboards on other bikers. I like the footboards but you can wiggle your ankles on pegs where you have to lift them on boards to exercise them on long journeys. The suspension on my America is better than the Harley I had, the Harley was hard in comparison. You can get aftermarket shocks that are more adjustable or with gas input I believe. Not sure I would let tyre pressure down as the tyres have a design threshold and could be dangerous in certain conditions.
    Loke you write up though, entertaining at best.

7. Englishman

Englishman Member

Nov 9, 2013
    #7 Englishman, Nov 18, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
    Thanks Tina, I'm glad you appreciate my subtle comedy, I look forward to doing a proper ride report after a tour someplace. At present June 2014 is being planned, discussions are on-going as to venue but will be Spain or Holland/Belgium with a bit of Germany thrown in.

I get your point ref the boards/pegs and had thought about that yesterday evening. With pegs, one has a large amount of angular adjustment of the foot, whereas with boards, they are what they are.

Regarding the whole aftermarket suspension thing, I will give it 1000 miles of proper riding before I issue further judgement on the stock items. The original owner, Mr Victor Vertical, must have ridden it only on an airfield with stabilizers fitted as the tyres had no more than 1 inch of contact, the chicken strips were 80% of the tyre. I've already halved them and found the odd wet leaf to provide a little twitch which didn't concern me.

Still plenty to think about. What I will say is I like the bike a lot, 5 AM this morning I found myself in the garage admiring her before Breakfast. That wouldn't have happened with any other machine I have owned.

Cheers

Al

• Like Like x 2
  8. brybrem

brybrem Senior Member

Mar 8, 2013
    North Wales
    Done the same with both SIIIs! It's fucking pathetic really but such a surge of connection to the bikes...

9. P19DJG

P19DJG Banned

Mar 16, 2013
    You are one sad & twisted little bastard! Just saying x

10. brybrem

brybrem Senior Member

Mar 8, 2013
    North Wales
    Ha - seen the flaw in your post! We don't have a milkman! Now the postie... hmmm. Devil.gif

Devil.gif

11. folkbloke

folkbloke Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2013
    Sussex
    After a month with pegs I got some footboards for my 2013 America and they transformed the bike for me.

They offer me far more movement and comfort than standard pegs. I really thought I'd made a mistake with the bike first of all. I had no problems on the test ride but my first 100 mile jaunt left me almost unable to walk as the pressure on my coccyx was unbearable. The footboards allow me to shift my legs right back relieving pressure on my bum or stretch them right out. If you want to waggle your ankles you use your heel as a pivot.

Mind you, it depends on your inside leg and your expectations. A mate who has a 32" inside leg finds the boards too restrictive and even finds the pegs on the latest America too near.

Horses for courses:wink:

The seat is bloody horrible though......

If you can get the comfort sorted it should be a brilliant bike for touring as it's very easy to ride and the tank should give you between 200-250 miles depending on how you ride.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Englishman

Englishman Member

Nov 9, 2013
    Thanks for the input. its real strange how we are all so different. I had no prob with where my tail would have attached all those years ago after60 miles I was like new in that department. Just the lever position that buggered my ride up. Im gunna get some boards, I can always sell em on again if im not keen but what part number? "Pig"?

Al

• Like Like x 1
  13. P19DJG

P19DJG Banned

Mar 16, 2013
    Triumph America footboards....

Carb models - FOOTBOARD KIT - Triumph Motorcycle Part Number: A9758036
    EFI Models (up to Vin No: 46839) - FOOTBOARD KIT - Triumph Motorcycle Part Number: A9758036

EFI Models (from Vin No: 46839) - CHROMELINE RIDER FOOTBOARDS Triumph Motorcycle Part Number: A9758158
    - CLASSIC RIDER FOOTBOARDS Triumph Motorcycle Part Number: A9758157

14. Englishman

Englishman Member

Nov 9, 2013
    Can't you be a bit more specific Pig? (insert tongue in cheek smiley here)

Many thanks man,

Al

• Like Like x 1
  15. P19DJG

P19DJG Banned

Mar 16, 2013
  16. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Kent
    Is this what you meant

• Like Like x 1
  17. Englishman

Englishman Member

Nov 9, 2013
    How dare you sir, I had heard the rumours but I certainly don't subscribe to them myself. Mind you, there is no smoke without fire they say:wink:

Al

• Like Like x 1
  18. P19DJG

P19DJG Banned

Mar 16, 2013
    There is only one big View attachment 2439 around here, & that, my friend........... Is you! :smile:

19. P19DJG

P19DJG Banned

Mar 16, 2013
    The only smoke is from the fire View attachment 2440

• Like Like x 1
  20. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Kent
    i thought you would rather this kind of smoke Pig..

[​IMG]