Solved Triumph 600 Tt -01

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Ludvig Stedt, Jun 30, 2022.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Ludvig Stedt

Ludvig Stedt New Member

Jun 30, 2022
    Stockholm
    Hi!

I'm in desperate need of help with my Triumph 600 TT -01. It's only got 15525 km on the meter and has recently been serviced with oil, oil filter, spark plugs, tires, air filter, fork oil (front), new battery, coolant change, brake fluid change.

I do however have these problems:
    Recently the motorcycle didn't start up, and it only made a "clicking sound" when I tried to fire it up. Rolled it down a hill and started it on 2:nd gear and everything seemed to work fine at first. The same trip however the engine light came on, when I was at ~8000rpm, and when I got where I was traveling and the batteri had gotten some drive it still would not start on the ignition.

Went home with the bike (pushed to start and still working) and noticed that the speedometer started acting strange. It was showing much lower speeds than I was driving, and the engine light still was on. This error is the only thing that right now shows when error codes are reseted. Video of the problem:
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/s2fW7aTdjpyPeq2i9

Information i have:
    Error code - P0351 Ignition coil 1 circuit malfunction.
    Error code - P1351 Ignition coil 1 open circuit or short circuit to ground.
    Error code - P0352 Ignition coil 2 circuit malfunction
    Error code - P1352 Ignition coil 2 open circuit or short circuit to ground.
    All error codes stay off when reseted.

The battery is new for this season and but quickly drops in voltage after charging. When at worst it's has been 11.9 volts, but about 2 hours after full charge it's around 12.7 volts.

When the bike is turned on the voltage goes up to between 13 and 14 volts (seems to be charging?). There is also no open line between the generator and the ground wire when measured in the contact.

When ignition is turned off the batteri load is 1,4mA and with the ignition on but lights off the load is 9mA. With brake light on it is 38.7mA.

The rectifier is measured at 0.526 to 0.529 from the black wire.
    The rectifier is measured at 0.578 to 0.583 from the red wire.
    All diods seem to work in the desired direction.

Questions?
    1. Is the rectifier broken? Seems that the values are a bit off, but are they within range? (I'm told in a guide they should be between 0.350 and 0.550)
    2. Anyone know why the speedometer jumps like this? Seems like a odd timeing regarding all other errors.
    3. Anyone have a theory about why the error codes doesn't come back?
    4. What's the best and worst case scenarios?

Please internet, help!
    Kind regards, me.

20220629_234623.jpg

2. Linx

Linx Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2020
    Stratford Upon Avon, UK
    The only time I've seem my speedo doing funny things, it was my reg/rec on the way out. Was only a problem when hot.

3. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    That battery looks to be a little down too, even if it is new.

4. Ludvig Stedt

Ludvig Stedt New Member

Jun 30, 2022
    Stockholm
    *update*

So I have been driving a few hours and the error codes are still gone and everything seems to be working. The only thing thats problematic is this:

1. The speedometer is still not working, and hence the tripmeter indicates few miles.
    2. The battery after ~12 hours after driving shows 12.58 volts when connected but ignition off. When ignition comes on and lights are on (have LED as headlights/lane changers, and normal bulbs in the back) it shows only 11.91 volts and when lights are turned off 12.07 volts. It does start however and goes up to 13.45 volts. While revving the engine it's stable around ~14 volts.

Oh, do you know how the reg/rec affects the speedometer? Can't undestand the connection. But reg/rec would explain a lot.

Yeah, and now it's even worse. Thinking maybe the reg/rec is messing ut up.

5. Linx

Linx Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2020
    Stratford Upon Avon, UK
    It's when it goes into high voltage mode. The dash doesn't like it.

6. Ludvig Stedt

Ludvig Stedt New Member

Jun 30, 2022
    Stockholm
    Okay, thanks. Is there a reset for it somehow? Now the voltage seems okay, but the speedometer still seems off.

7. Ludvig Stedt

Ludvig Stedt New Member

Jun 30, 2022
    Stockholm
    The speedo is now more or less confirmed to be a separate problem, the magnet in the speedometer was broken in half... Can you imagine the timeing?

There is a lot of grease in there (guessing some kind of fat?) and another thread suggested that the fragments from the magnet could get stuck in there and wear the other components down. Do you guys kow what kind of grease you should put in there? Guessing I need to clean the surfaces.

Ordered this to solve the problem:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/384953079612

Photos of the broken magnet:

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=NFo3SWY1VVpLeE5XU1dlU01pY28wMmVnbWszQnh3