Triple Rs Decat

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Wayne Kitson, Dec 16, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Wayne Kitson

Wayne Kitson Member

May 16, 2018
    England
    Just wondering if anyone has de catted there speed triple RS yet
    If so any improvements or negatives where did you get the decat pipe from or headers

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. Burny_13

Burny_13 Active Member

Jun 16, 2019
    Reading
    I know a few guys on here have simply cut open the cat, removed the internals and had it welded back up again.
    Personally I have no experience of this, but am yet to see any form of off the shelf kit.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. tripledog

tripledog New Member

May 25, 2019
    Austin
    2014 S here, bought a used header off ebay for $75 delivered. Used a large vise to hold the header and with an extended (12 inch) one-half inch drill bit I managed to get three holes in the cat, then with a large flat screw driver (with a square shaft so I could twist with a wrench) and brass mallet collapsed the cat into itself, more or less, then hooked the pieces with a length of quarter inch steel rod and pulled them out. Used a bore scope to check on progress. The cat material, which is hard and tough to drill into and collapse, is apparently tack welded to a four or so inch long heavy iron section of pipe. Quite a bit of work over four hours or so. Using high mounted Akras. Sound is a bit louder and deeper-- all good, I like it. Cannot tell a seat-of-the pants difference in acceleration though. Had already removed the O2 sensor and CAI stuff, and using the appropriate Tune ECU program. Maybe a dyno tune would increase power a bit. Crackles and pops on deceleration which were already pretty mild became even more so. Would I do it again, yeah it was kinda fun,once. Have not noticed any unburned gasoline smell which is why I wanted to experiment on a spare header, not willing to come back from a ride stinking of unburned gas.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. OhCrumOn

OhCrumOn Well-Known Member

May 2, 2019
    Phila
  5. Ducatitotriumph

Ducatitotriumph Crème de la Crème

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    I think the diameter is the same but the 18+ ones are a bit shorter?
    Not overly sure but I think thats it!?

6. martinm

martinm Member

Mar 24, 2018
    leicester
    the 2018 has a smaller diameter header pipe. also where the header joins the head it is oval as opposed to the earlier ones (and the one in the ebay picture) which is still tapering the two separate ports from each valve into the header. the older arrow headers also only had an oval inlet. you could grind the header on the lextek one so it is oval and matches a 2018 onwards engine. i dont know if there link pipe is made to connect to standard cans or whether you need to use their can ? looks good though and a good price.

7. martinm

martinm Member

Mar 24, 2018
    leicester
    also meant to say that there is no balance pipe on the lextek or the earlier arrow headers.

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. martinm

martinm Member

Mar 24, 2018
    leicester
    just bought one of the lextek headers. was assured it would fit my 2018 speed s, which is the current model.
    arrived today but it dosn't fit
    the cast part that fits to the head is quite different in size.
    shame as it looks quite nice.

• Useful Useful x 2
  9. Ducatitotriumph

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    Thanks for the update as I was thinking of pulling the pin on that part for mine!

• Like Like x 1
  10. SuperHans

SuperHans Senior Member

Mar 11, 2020
    Sweden
    Looking at maybe getting an upgrade to an RS and looking into de-cat and lowboy systems.
    Has anyone succeeded in removing the cat on the RS?
    Does anyone know of any kit that is available for purchase?

11. Ducatitotriumph

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    The only success i've seen anyone have on this is to actually open up the original and remove the guts out of it.
    He then welded it back up. It was on a forum somewhere but I can't find it i'm afraid.

• Thanks Thanks x 1