Featured Rideout Trip To Glen Affric

Discussion in 'Rideouts, Trackdays, Touring & Spotted' started by Dougie D, Nov 26, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    9.JPG

Glen Affric is a glen south-west of the village of Cannich in the Highland region of Scotland, some 15 miles west of Loch Ness. The River Affric runs along its length, passing through Loch Affric and Loch Beinn a' Mheadhoin. Wikipedia

I've been wanting to have a trip to Glen Affric for a while as I've never been before, i decided to leave on Thursday afternoon and stay overnight near inverness and do a bit of exploring on the Friday.
    The temperate when i left home was about 5c but i knew it would be colder going through the Cairngorms so i got well prepared with a long sleeve base layer, a merino wool long sleeve thermal vest, a light weight fleece top and a full zip top then i had my padded Furygan textile jacket on top, on the bottom i had a pair of thermal long johns and my Furygan padded textile trousers! i was ready for arctic conditions o_O
    As i passed Glenshee ski centre the temp dropped to 1c ( the road sits at over 2000ft from sea level) i was warm as toast and even although i had my summer gloves on inside the muffs they were cosy too :) i knew that the weather was going to be worse as i got near the Lecht ski centre as it's in between the famous Cockbridge to Tomintoul (the snow gates are regularly closed during winter)
    This photo was taken not far from where i turned off the A93 onto the B976, i was beginning to have second thoughts
    1.JPG

Just as i thought it was worse up at the Lecht :cold_sweat:
    2.JPG

the weather cleared up once i got to Tomintoul, so i stopped of for a coffee
    3.JPG

Picture of GRANTOWN EAST - Grantown East Highland Heritage and Cultural Centre
    4.JPG

Turned off onto the A862 which starts off running along the Beauly Firth a few miles along is Mitchells Motorcycles where i stopped off for a free Hot Chocolate :)
    5.JPG

The Hotel i was staying at was only 5 miles from Mitchells
    6.JPG

The food had great reviews so i was looking forward to it, unfortunately i think the chef must have been on holiday, the owner seemed to be doing everything himself i.e. receptionist, barman, waiter and chef!
    pretty average Hunters chicken
    7.jpg

i had my breakfast at 8am,made by the owner! it was surprising good, he even asked if i wanted another plateful as i had polished off my plate! even although i wouldn't have had to pay for it i declined :)
    Glen Affric was not far from the hotel and it was a great ride on the A862 and A831 once you reach the small village of Cannich you take the single track road up through Glen Affric
    10.JPG

11.JPG

• Like Like x 15
  2. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    A few more pics of Glen Affric
    12.JPG

13.JPG

this was as far as you can go
    14.JPG

When i was riding up i saw a stag at the side of the road, it crossed in front of me and headed up the hill, so i stopped the bike to get a photo

15.JPG

it had a few mates!
    16.JPG

17.JPG

it really was worth visiting as even on a dull day it looked lovely, ill definitely be back come the better weather.
    On the way home i stopped off at "Nessie land for a coffee but it was shut for the season
    18.JPG

The famous Urquhart Castle on the banks of Loch Ness, normally you cant get a picture of it from the roadside as the roads usually busy and there is now where to park (unless you go into the visitor centre car park)
    19.JPG

20.JPG

Stopped of at a lay by further down the road and walked down to take a few photos. somebody had made a stone stack
    21.jpg

• Like Like x 16
  3. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    A few more pics of loch ness
    23.JPG

24.jpg

22.jpg

Neptune's Staircase at Fort Agustus is a staircase lock comprising eight locks on the Caledonian Canal (there is a total of 29 locks on the canal) Built by Thomas Telford between 1803 and 1822, it is the longest staircase lock in Britain. The system was originally hand-powered but has been converted to hydraulic operation.
    25.jpg

nice garden at the side of the A82 just north of the Commando Monument, it had started to snow!
    26.jpg

i was going to go up Glen Roy (another Glen I've not been to) at Roybridge but as the visibility wasn't great i decided to do it another day, it's off the A86 Spean Bridge to Dalwhinnie road which has been my favourite road for years, i've taken a few photos at this spot, but it's usually sunny! the road was great even in the wet :cool: it started to snow once i got to Dalwhinnie so headed straight home, really enjoyed it, even if the weather was pants
    28.jpg

• Like Like x 17
  4. andyc1

andyc1 Lunarville 7, Airlock 3

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    Nice one Dougie... doubt there was many other bikes about? Muffs a good job then :)

• Like Like x 2
  5. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    Muffs are great, they keep your gloves dry as well as keeping your hands warm, the only other bike I saw was an old Rocket, the guy was staying at the same hotel as me

• Like Like x 3
  6. TheBeardedPunk

TheBeardedPunk Senior Member

Oct 7, 2021
    Belgium
    Lovely write up & pictures. I have always had a warm place in my heart for Scotland. I have visited a few times, hope to return on bike one day.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Didn’t know you had a bit of ‘German’ in you…….

• Like Like x 2
  8. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Another brilliant rideout write-up, Dougie, and fantastic photos :heart_eyes:. I really enjoy the descriptions and narrative in your ride reports. That stag and his mates were certainly amazing! How far away from you were they?

I do have to say, though, that your description of your cold weather gear and all of your clothing layers brought to mind this image of Ralphie from the movie, The Christmas Story. :joy:

Glad you had an enjoyable trip in spite of the weather!

Screen Shot 2021-11-26 at 10.12.00 PM.png

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    Was meinst du damit?

• Like Like x 2
  10. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    The stag that crossed the road in front of me was about 20 feet away, by the time i took the pics it was about 50 feet away, the others were not far away from it, i rushed to take the photos as i expected them to scarper pretty quick

• Like Like x 3
  11. DCS900

DCS900 Careful, man! There’s a beverage here!

Sep 11, 2021
    LA
    Nice one dude, good to see the stags, should be in the rut, or the end of it?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    from google as i wasn't sure when it starts and ends
    upload_2021-11-27_11-4-24.jpeg
    The deer rutting season in Scotland is one of nature 's truly majestic events. Taking place across the Highlands, Red, Fallow and Sika Deer gathering to rut from the end of September until early November. Stags locking horns in a battle for supremacy throughout the dawn of autumn months is an incredible spectacle.9 Oct 2020

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. DCS900

DCS900 Careful, man! There’s a beverage here!

Sep 11, 2021
    LA
    I think a lot has to do with the out door temperature; if it’s too warm, the stags tire and over heat too easily.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Tigcraft

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Du hast einer ‘Gummi Kuh!’ Jetzt!

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    Ha Ha I'm none the wiser! Did Google translate and I apparently have a rubber cow now! :joy:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Tigcraft

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Yes bang on!! It’s the German nickname for them like we call them ditch pumps. You can just imagine a shuddering fat cow as it starts up?! Made me laugh when I first heard as I knew the translation. Winglad Daniel told me

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Mrs Visor

Mrs Visor Elite Member

Aug 21, 2021
    UK
    Beautiful photos and write - up as ever. I stayed in Glen Affric for a week or so to do some running; it's a lovely place (in the spring though!!).

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1