Trident Starting Probs

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by stitchwort, Oct 31, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. stitchwort

stitchwort New Member

Oct 31, 2017
    cornwall
    Hi all.....I've just bought a 94 750 trident.....if you touch the choke or the throttle it won't start....it will start if you turn it over but only after a few tries and leave it well alone while it decides wether it wants to run or not.....any ideas?

2. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    So do you mean youre starting it with the choke off altogether ?

How does it run once its warmed up ?

My trophy's both start on full choke but, don't touch throttle for a minute or so after starting.

Also if its been left for more than 24 hours I always turn fuel tap onto prime ( fuel tap pointing up ) and push in for a few seconds to ensure the carbs are full then return to normal running position ( fuel tap pointing to the right ) to start.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. stitchwort

stitchwort New Member

Oct 31, 2017
    cornwall

once it's warmed up it's fine ...and returning to the bike after an hour or so...no problem...I'll try the prime method next time it's cold and see what happens...also, this is a 1994 bike with 16000 miles on the clock, it's been laid up for the past 8 years or so ...so maybe the carbs are a bit lazy

4. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Has the bike had its valve clearances checked recently (should be at/every 12,000 miles)? Mine was noticeably quicker to start after they were done around 48,000 miles.
    If the bike has been stood for a while - and with only 16.000 miles on the clock it probably has been - stick some Redex, or similar, in the petrol to help clean out the carbs etc, and to keep them that way.
    Make sure the battery is kept fully charged in order to preserve the life of the starter sprag clutch - if it turns over slowly and tries (weakly) to start, it could 'kick back' and wreck it. Fairly rare but not unheard of. Just be aware!

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    You didn't say if youre using the choke or not ?

Lever pulled towards you is on, pushed forward towards front of bike is off for reference

Does it smoke at all on startup ?

6. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    Just seen this, all good advice, they got there first. My sprint used to be a cow to get going,had a service ( the air filter was like a nest) and i used to twist the throttle..........never ever twist until the engine is running as it over rides the enrichening of the fuel mix( so I believe)
    redex makes a great difference but not straight away. I use it every tank full now and my bike actually ticks over below 1000 rpm , whereas it never did before, it needed 1200 or more.
    the advice on sprag clutch is very good too,it can be a very expensive job, tho yours is a 94 so you should have an inspection cover which later bikes, grrrrrr, do not have.
    always have a top notch battery and never let the starter labour

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. stitchwort

stitchwort New Member

Oct 31, 2017
    cornwall
    OK...thanks for that....I'll put some redex in and get the clearances checked.....I'm assuming that after some use it will be a bit happier

• Like Like x 1
  8. stitchwort

stitchwort New Member

Oct 31, 2017
    cornwall
    OK I'll give it a try tyhanks

9. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Sounds like the carbs and all associated filters could do with cleaning. These bikes should start on the choke with no issues. I had a 93 Trident and it always started first time - all good advice above. Watch out for a weak battery when starting, keep headlight off and clutch lever pulled in - it all helps! Bikes with grey engine casings have the access panel for the sprag clutch but ones with black engine covers do not.

10. Essexboy

Essexboy Active Member

Apr 16, 2017
    Essex
    Not knocking anyone else's recommendations but my personal choice for cleaning carbs is Motul Systems Cleaner, just tip the bottle in when you fill up with petrol and ride the bike. I've used it on everything from Fireblades to elderly Volvos that have been left standing and it's worked a treat on all of them :)

11. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    Apparently Cosworth were involved in assisting with a redesign on the crankcases ( introduced in 1994 ), this is when the access panel disappeared and also if you look at early and later motors the direction the major amount of bolts are fitted from was changed from bottom to the top iirc as well as accomodating the sprag clutch mod

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    You are right mate - the later bikes have the black engine covers but they did away with the access panel on them.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. t552

t552 Senior Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Bristol UK
    Black engines also can have access panel.
    And with the later engines they still have sprag problems inc Mk1 t5 engines.
    that's the main reason why Clive Wood does the t300 maintenance courses, to show people how to strip the motor and change out the sprag and reasons for their failure and how to avoid it again.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. odinz

odinz Flightless

May 7, 2017
    hull
    Yes your all right and ive got a gun metal grey engine 94 with no access panel and the start of 6 speed gearbox as stock being fitted