Trident Getting Nearer

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Kenbro, Feb 3, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Kenbro

Kenbro Noble Member

Jul 9, 2019
    Manchester, UK
    Mmmm.
    Ken. 96873126-5CF1-4543-A2EF-79691D992D03.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  2. curly

curly Noble Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Burton Upon Trent
    You getting one?

3. andyc1

andyc1 Lunarville 7, Airlock 3

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    I like the colour scheme of that one... black and red will always be a classic in my eyes :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Kenbro

Kenbro Noble Member

Jul 9, 2019
    Manchester, UK
    Short ass here and buy my bikes by seat height. How sad is that? :pensive:
    Will be going to look.
    Ken.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. TillyB

TillyB Active Member

Dec 24, 2019
    Midlands
    Wonder if/when they may launch the adv bike with that engine, that has been rumoured?

I already have a naked bike and would be good to get something to do big miles on.

6. Daytona1200Express

Daytona1200Express Active Member

Feb 7, 2021
    NH, USA
    I think Triumph got a lot right with the new Trident.

It looks to be a snazzy little middleweight.

7. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Half finished produce from the Fugly tree:poop:. It may well ride nicely by all accounts, but at some point you have to look at it:eek:. Sadly not the only new bike that falls into that category.:mad:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Samsgrandad

Samsgrandad Senior Member

Dec 15, 2019
    Somerset
    Not sad at all, I do exactly the same, when I look at a road test the first thing I look at is the seat height! If it's over 800/810mm forget it!

I'm too old to even think about attempting to struggle on tip toe. I like to have both feet on the ground when at a stop!!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    Your not alone there. :D

10. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    All this mention of seat height and good looks , where is the vomiting emoji ?
    For a low cost ?beginner's? Bike it's got far too many expensive electronic distraction devices !! And the colours , What colours ?? You've got Black and *** black and #### what happened to green blue red yellow silver orange ???
    I'd go into debt to buy a real one ! Not interested in these modern "brain candy" electronic gubbined shite they pump out now! I've only fallen off once in nearly 40yrs and 600,000 plus km because of brake lock up ! So why would I buy ABS !? Traction control !? Learn to twist less violently !?
    I bought my first bike in late 1981 , an eight ? Year old Honda CB500 four cylinder job. I learnt to ride it on the way "Home" after purchasing it in Metropolitan Brisbane , on a Friday Evening in peak Rush hour. These modern times Eh !! You can't buy a vehicle in Australia now (well almost) without an appropriate licence ! I didn't get my licence for another 12 months. I like the nakedness and the apparent handling and power of this new model (had 94 Trident from new) but more power and less Gubbins for our money would sell more of these ??? What you recon ??

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Notso

Notso Senior Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Solihull
    I recon you should pause for breath!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    Capt your a dying breed, but with my sensible head on coming from a family of ten you make real common sense, but you only live once or so they say, but then if the opportunity is available to you then why not give it a whirl and try the best, that's not to say I don't agree with you which would be very wrong indeed , in fact you make perfect sence let's keep things simple and self fixable, without the need for computers to talk to management systems that only give you an indication as to where a fault lies. :cool: but being honest I think the days of a piece of wire and an old piece cigarette box cardboard to set the points has gone :confused::scream:

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Samsgrandad

Samsgrandad Senior Member

Dec 15, 2019
    Somerset
    Some interesting points here, in UK ABS is now a requirement on new bikes but i agree about the majority of the other electronic gubbins. Plenty of complicated and expensive electronics to go wrong! The styling is modern and not particularly to my taste but that seems to be what the market wants.

I too am reluctant to change my Tiger 800 Gen 1 for anything more modern as I have managed without traction control and different riding modes for 50+ years with the use of my right hand on the throttle.

However I have to disagree with you on the subject of training Whilst the UK version has gone over the top when progressing from A2 to a full A licence the basic principle of ensuring that riders are trained and reasonably competent before they are allowed on the road must be a good thing.

14. andyc1

andyc1 Lunarville 7, Airlock 3

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    I think the bike is aimed at newer, younger riders and I would hazard a guess the electronics are something that appeals to them. Besides, health and saftey these days means its law that new vehicles come with ABS. Personally I think ABS is a good thing on bikes. Its probably saved me from an off in the past. Traction control on the other hand, not necessary on small to mid bikes but definitely a good thing on these modern power houses considering 180+hp is pretty common now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    Just watched the top ten best sellers in another post. Yamaha got the Tenere in there with No Gubbins apart from traction control and ABS !
    Triumph not watching ?

There is a market for motorcycles ! Gubbins aren't needed for riding pleasure , just a good handler with good styling .

I really enjoyed my Trident from 94 to 2000 ! Did several big trips across Australia racked up a hundred thousand miles (161,00 km) almost all trouble free.
    Stopped once . water got into the float bowl's , three days of riding in the rain ! And it was Biblical ! Averaged 40+ mm each day. I had good wet weather gear too. But even that let us down.

Imagine something like that on a new All electronic bike , once it's reached middle age ??

• Like Like x 2
  16. Stramasher

Stramasher Senior Member

Jun 10, 2020
    ex-0141
    Looks great. Dont get the hate.

Bikes have been "electronic" since the 80's. ABS a god send. I have never been as able to brake as hard in any conditions as I have with an ABS bike. Showed me how soft I have been on the brakes over the years. Game changer. Especially for new riders, locking the front, an old rite-of-passage consigned to history.

• Like Like x 1
  17. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    I cannot understand why people think ABS is bad thing. It doesn't impact on your enjoyment whilst riding the bike - how would you be aware whether your bike had it or not?
    Plenty of newish "old skool" bikes out there.
    My Rninet has ABS but is air cooled, has a cable throttle, no fuel gauge and no rider modes :cool:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  18. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    Hi Steve , yes there are some old skool bike's still out there as new. But far too many bike's have far too many electronic distractions , it's bad enough in car's , but at least cars have that added "Cage" for protection.

19. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Well I can't disagree Capt, I had several rider modes on my last Tiger 800 and never used them or altered the traction control in four and a half years of ownership!
    The 900 has even more and at least they are easy to switch between and on the move but I suspect it will stay in Sport or Road for most of the time.
    I do like the clarity of a TFT screen - easier to see in sunlight than those tiny LED screens but do I need a choice of four displays and four colours? I don't think so o_O

• Like Like x 1
  20. Notso

Notso Senior Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Solihull
    #20 Notso, Feb 16, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2021
    Saw one through the window of the dealership today. I was thinking about concerns raised about huggers and the size of the bike. The bike looked bigger than I expected, although it was on a plinth so maybe deceptive. I had a good look at the hugger and front mudguard. The front mudguard starts at the same height as the bottom of the radiator, an extender would probably help the down pipes under the radiator. The rear has two huggers, the obvious one at the back and another in front of the rear wheel, only a small section uncovered and the underside of the seat looks smooth. I suppose joining the two huggers would effectively create a hugger/fender, but not 100% sure it would be needed, it's not like crap still won't get everywhere though, my Street Twin with extended mudguard was plastered after a 40min ride in the rain today!

• Like Like x 1