Trident Trident 900 Headers

Discussion in 'Thruxton, Scrambler & Trident' started by Hydrophobic Membrane, Jun 8, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Hydrophobic Membrane

Hydrophobic Membrane Active Member

Jun 7, 2017
    Dorset
    #1 Hydrophobic Membrane, Jun 8, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
    Can anyone tell me the internal and external diameter of the 90's Trident 900 Headers?

Cheers :)

2. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Bugger! Meant to check mine for you today but got side tracked. Will only be able to check the ext. diameter 'cos they are still attached to me bike, but it should be a good indication.
    However .... I'm not 100% certain, but something in the back of my fluffy brain tells me that there is a slight size difference between early (I assume grey engine finish not the black ones - only guessing) and later engines. This may be heresay but I'm fairly sure early pipes don't fit later engines. Just something to be aware of - possibly!

3. Hydrophobic Membrane

Jun 7, 2017
    Dorset
    Many thanks :)

4. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    If you look here :- http://www.worldoftriumph.com/triumph_motorcycle_parts_catalogue?model_id=70124

You can see the make up of the early models up to 4901 are a totally different make up 4902 to 29155 & 29156 the sytems are different in the make up of the intermediate pipes, however all 3 systems use the same
    " sealing rings " at the head joint. looks like carefull checking is needed to see if the rest of the system will mate up lengths & diameters.

5. Hydrophobic Membrane

Jun 7, 2017
    Dorset
    Thank you.

I'm not too worried about the intermediate pipes, as they will likely be custom if the headers are ball-park diameter for my application.

6. stevethegoolie

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Tried to get an accurate measurement but failed miserably for various reasons. Nearest I could get was 3.5 - 3.6mm using a metal tape measure whilst taking up a painfully contorted position in the limited space available to my sylph-like body. A lack of suitable sized spanners to slide over the pipes or a big enough adjustable jobby
    to use as a measure were not what I had anticipated (11/16w was the biggest spanner I could find and it was too small to do the job, and my mole grips and their big adjustable mate seem to have gone awol!).
    Moral of the story is never to lend tools and if you do then remember who you lent them to. SIGH!
    Sorry I can't be more help.:(

7. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    @stevethegoolie I learned that one a long time ago, and to write it down somewhere I wont loose it. Especially if you have a bad memory for things like that ..........

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. bogg

bogg Senior Member

Feb 21, 2016
    west sussex
    That's intriguing,what is it that you're planning?..38mm od. at the header increases to 48mm od. Underneath the bike back to 38mm od. at silencer,that's on a 99 sprint sport,hope that helps

9. stevethegoolie

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    I wasn't too far off then!:) Just enough to create a tcu (total cock up)!:eek:

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Hydrophobic Membrane

Jun 7, 2017
    Dorset
    My thinking was that perhaps as I could use the Trident headers as a basis for a custom exhaust for my Daytona 955i if the diameter was close.

Being a short a*se I may have to lower the bike if other methods fail and the 3-1 collector will cause a clearance issue :(

Having a custom seat made that should help and have today taken delivery of some insoles for my boots that will get my heals nearer the ground!!

11. Hydrophobic Membrane

Jun 7, 2017
    Dorset