Insurance Travel Insurance

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by topbanana0, May 9, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. topbanana0

topbanana0 Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2016
    South Wales
    Hi, I normally take out a 12 month holiday insurance policy, but following an incident last time I went to IOM (that's another story) I found my insurance didn't cover me.
    Riding a motorcycle is considered an adventure holiday.
    Anyone got any advice or recommendations for motorbike holiday insurance.
    Cheers

2. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
  3. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    A lot of the policies state that you can hire and ride bikes up to the cc your licence allows you to.
    Some policies have different activity packages so could be an idea to check if they include riding your own bike on holiday. Must admit it never occurred to me to think of that should I ride to France or elsewhere in Europe! Time to check the small print! Thanks for the heads up

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
  5. topbanana0

Mar 27, 2016
    South Wales
    A lot of people incorrectly think the Isle of Man is part of the U.K.
    Your motorbike cover should be ok, as most cover European riding. But you should have some medical cover & brakedown cover for IOM.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Scoot65

Scoot65 Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2015
    DURHAM
    Where will you be riding? Within the EU or North America or Rest of the World?

For the past several years I've use Direct Travel ... https://www.direct-travel.co.uk

They class motorcycle riding as adventure / hazardous activity. You're covered as long you have a valid licence for riding a bike. The only reason I didn't use them this year is that they've now limited cover to riding within the EU ( I need cover to ride when I visit the Philippines).

I contacted their customer services and they were able to arrange cover for outside the EU with another Ins co.

7. topbanana0

Mar 27, 2016
    South Wales
    Been reading small print, on adventure holiday web sites.
    I can get cover to ride a bike, but not for touring (where the motorcycle is the main form of transport)
    Think I better ring my bike insurance, for some advice.

8. topbanana0

Mar 27, 2016
    South Wales
    Been reading small print, on adventure holiday web sites.
    I can get cover to ride a bike, but not for touring (where the motorcycle is the main form of transport)
    Think I better ring my bike insurance, for some advice.

9. Flybywyre

Flybywyre Member

Aug 3, 2018
    Winchester UK
    I'm just about to take a travel insurance policy out with Carole Nash that seems to tick all of the boxes.

10. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Have you compared the premium price against holidaysafe.co.uk ?

11. sam triple

sam triple Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2018
    hampshire
    always use holiday safe for riding abroad and foreign track days know few that have had claims with them and have been settled with no issues my annual policy cost me about £67

• Like Like x 1
  12. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Bank account insurance? Mine covers use of vehicles for which I hold UK licences and specifies a helmet should be worn on two wheels. Cover worldwide for individual trips up to 45 days.

• Like Like x 1
  13. sam triple

sam triple Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2018
    hampshire
    I thought that of my bank account insurance until I rang them and enquired further and it actually only covered me up to 125cc ,wander how many have been caught out by that

• Like Like x 1