Trail Braking

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Samuel F, Jan 28, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

• Like Like x 1
  3. Samuel F

Samuel F Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2015
    Glasgow
    #23 Samuel F, Jan 30, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2019
    Geesus, Mr O...
    "IAM's" "rigmarole" ... What language is this !
    I don't understand! :laughing:

4. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Galimatias......compris?

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    I always use engine braking, if it is a road I am unfamiliar with I might trail brake occasionally,but normally If I know the roads I just roll off the throttle so I am at the correct speed for entering the corner so no need for any braking..smooth is always faster and safer
    my Harley with the big v-twin has huge engine braking as soon as you roll the throttle off it's like having an extra brake:cool:..but a safe one:)! The speed triple although not as good as twin engines are pretty good for engine braking too

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

When slowing down – a controlled release of the throttle will maintain stability

I'm talking knocking it down a gear or two and shutting the throttle, especially on V-twins is a great way to slow the bike. I use it all the time on the Tuono (Big V-twin, like dropping an anchor), also did on the SV (same, but not as much, being only a 650), but not so much on the GSXR750 (IL4, not so good).

What I do, and a lot of other riders is not closing the throttle in a controlled manner, but shutting it, to make use of the engine compression. That is engine braking, slowly closing in a controlled manner is not the same, it will slow the bike, but not really using it for braking puposes.

If that is your evidence, I stand by the statement that IAM don't condone the use of engine braking. I was told by an 'Observer', before I told them to go stick the course up their arse. I have also heard others say the same, about using brakes to slow, not the engine.

• Like Like x 1
  7. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

#27 MrOrange, Jan 30, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2019
    upload_2019-1-30_17-11-55.png

Have you done the IAM's course ??? - jeeeeezus, you will learn the meaning of rigmarole, you've got 7+ decisions (Ips'crap)to make for every corner !!!!

How to mash the fuck out of any enjoyment gained by riding a motorcyle. :confused:

(These are purely the expierence of the author, some folk might gain greatly by doing the IAM (more important than you) course, but not for me.:p)

• Like Like x 1
  8. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    ‘.....slow the bike but not really using it for braking purposes.’ Have you considered a career in politics?

9. Richard Neale

Richard Neale Active Member

Apr 20, 2018
    Northwich
    I normally ride my bike for enjoyment purposes. Sometimes its enjoyable to fly up to a corner and chuck it on its side without a thorough risk assessment
    :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

I consider there a difference. Closing the throttle gently and rolling to a stop will take you 100's of meters to stop. Banging a bike down through the gears, drop clutch, bang down another, on a closed throttle (especially big V-twin), is like applying the brakes.

I used to get complaints when group riding on my SV, that I never used my brakes and they nearly ran into the back of me, because they were looking for a brake light. My answer was - I don't use brakes to slow, I use engine. And riding to the bike in front is a BIG mistake !!!

• Like Like x 1
  11. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

WHen you say 'SIDE', do you mean side as in the fairings, or side as in the tyre? Just checking? :laughing:

Tyre - YES :cool:

Fairings, bars, engine, etc - NO:confounded:

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Don’t answer the question......a natural! ;)

But I take your point just as different engine capacities and configurations have differing characteristics.....And two strokes have minimal engine braking.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Just tried to read that, took me three goes, then I got bored.

That statement typifies why the IAM's was no good for me.

Never got pulled up for it, was riding the Gixxer at the time. Was informed, but i disagreed, and you can't have a different opinion than the IAM'always right boys. Far too strict and regimented. I am intelligent enough to work this stuff out for myself, it's just a feckin corner, enjoy it, don't make a exam every single time.:(

These observations are based on personal expierence of the Dumfries bunch of eejits, this may not be the case with all IAM's. Horses for courses, rather ride my bike than sit a test.

#35 and we're still pretty close to being on topic ........... WTF ?????:p This is reminding me of the 30 yards from a tractor front or rear brake discussion.

• Like Like x 2
  14. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. Richard Neale

Richard Neale Active Member

Apr 20, 2018
    Northwich
    Yes

• Like Like x 2
  17. R_1000

R_1000 Elite Member
    Subscriber

Sep 2, 2016
    UK, London
    I used to do trail braking going hard through the A & B roads corners swearing and cursing in my younger pea size brain days. However these days being a lot older n all, I tend to get my speed and gear correct before entering the corner. I tend to be cautious on unknown roads taking my time by looking further through the bend to decide whether to power up or ease off. I am on a Street Triple 675R....providing the roads are dry and tires are warm, I have the luxury of powering through the bend whilst leaned over as the bike has a decent torque curve to keep the momentum going. You must do something really silly like whacking that throttle open and then it's another story....hospital, insurance, possible legal actions etc etc.

I will never ride outside of my comfort zone. Just because I am not able to go as fast as the man in front doesn't mean I am slow or he is fast. It is just that I am being sensible and I know my limitations and I am on an unknown territory;). Anyway that's what I keep saying to myself when I get left behind :D

Above anything else.....enjoy your bike....continue to ride.....learn your skills in a safe manner....be considerate ;)

• Agree Agree x 9