Trail Braking

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Samuel F, Jan 28, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Samuel F

Samuel F Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2015
    Glasgow
    Hi everyone,
    I watch youtube at every single lunch break. (Nothing else I can do, in an office life).
    Recently I ended up on an 'advance riding tips' video which mentioned Trail breaking. Youtube being youtube, it lead me to be suggested many videos about it.

It's not something I have ever heard of, done, or been advised to do. As every other learner driver I was told many times never to touch the brakes while turning. Yet, I now learn about this technique supposed to improve cornering by shifting the geometry towards to front wheel and ensuring better control. It's not something I would try for the first time alone, but I could see myself taking advanced lessons this year, always in the spirit of riding better, safer.

My question is, is trail breaking something you do?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Yes it’s something I do but I have had advanced training in both cars and bikes. It’s not done to such a degree on the road on bikes as it is in racing, but I bet if you analysed your riding you would find you do it to a small extent. Racers do it all on the front brake because it squashes the tyre into the road increasing its contact area thus improving grip levels but that’s not a technique that should be employed on the road. Racing bikes are set up for full lean grip but road bikes have to compromise and spend most of their time upright anyway. Use both brakes as you slow for the corner, gradually releasing the brakes as you lean more, don’t just let them off quickly or this will cause the suspension to unload and the bike will bounce and become unstable leading to it possibly running wide and not tracking the turn as you expected. Remember, the rear brake is your best friend if you find yourself going too quick for a corner, a bit of rear brake will slow the bike and keep it online, the front brake will make the bike stand up and run wide.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Useful Useful x 2
  3. Richard Neale

Richard Neale Active Member

Apr 20, 2018
    Northwich
    Yes I do it quite a bit, my front tyres always wear out half way from middle of tyrer to full lean. I just naturally brake into corners.
    It keeps the geometry good for tight steering . Some bikes
    will sit up and need forceful counter steering but my speedie seems really well balanced. I do a few track days a year and find it good for control. Its amazing just how much grip there is - if you imaging the load doing a "stoppy" I guess that proves how much grip. Obviously I would only do this in conditions of favorable grip! Best thing to do is try it very gently and work up to what you feel is comfortable for you personally.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. Samuel F

Mar 24, 2015
    Glasgow
    Thank you very much for your input Yorkshirman. Indeed that I something I have repeatedly heard as to be used in races but could be adapted to street practice. (many videos name themselves as such).

None the less, the cornering approach you described is mine.
    Braking upfront (80% F - 20% R), gentle release and gentle re-pressure on the rear if the speed is excessive while trying to turn correctly, counter steering and looking far ahead.

Thanks for your answer nonetheless

• Like Like x 1
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  5. Samuel F

Mar 24, 2015
    Glasgow
    Interesting and different answer... Thanks !

6. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    The important thing to remember is that the road is not a race track. The surface is rougher, bumpier and more contaminated with grease and grit. You don’t know which truck unloaded at the apex 20 mins earlier.
    So, we ALL trail brake to some degree. Judgement, anticipation and skill allow you to ‘make progress’ with an appreciable margin of safety. Face planting is bad enough but on a left hander it throws you into oncoming traffic. Worth remembering.....just as the camber on a right hander is against you as you contemplate that dry stane dyke!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    Trail braking the rear is a good thing to get a handle on for turning into corners/hairpins that are tighter than you think :p

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    Not something i have ever done nor want to, but may be suited to some of the geometry of more modern sport bikes which i am likely never to ride anyway, still not something i would want to try on greasy city roads or the uneven surfaces on a lot of roads.

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. Samuel F

Mar 24, 2015
    Glasgow
    Those who've seen me riding know that I am way more 'easy rider' than 'Fast and Furious' anyway. But every day is a school day and I'm always up for more safety and more knowledge.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Yep like many have said before I use trail braking on the back break.
    Wessa

• Useful Useful x 1
  11. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Yep, trail brake all the time. Only in the dry, when I'm happy and confident of the road surface ahead

I honestly believe, the theory about making the bike sit up is in the mind and not in practice. You get told by everyone it happens, so it happens.

If I do overcook it into a corner, I just keep that front brake on, light modulated pressure, and keep pushing the inside bar. I even repeat it to myself "push, push,push". Works for me.

Your tyre can grip way more than you think it will, even lent over. Go do a track day, see the instructors passing you by easily and you think your on the edge of the grip available, your not. In an emergency, use it. Better than sitting the bike up before braking and riding straight off the road.

So I would say yes, go practice, if your comfy , do it. And in an emergency, you'll be happy to trust the tyre, rather than believe you will stand the bike up.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. Ken walburn

Ken walburn Noble Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Essex
    Use rear brake all the time

13. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Did on the America, had to, to stop it. Great to help round corners too.

Never touch it on the Tuono, cos it doesn't work !!!:p, great bit of Italian design, fluid gets cooked by the exhaust:confounded::laughing:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Ken walburn

Ken walburn Noble Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Essex
    Try to get all my front brake braking out of the way before the corner. Slow in Fast out. Use rear brake all the time to scrub off speed as corner tightens, helps with the turn in. Agree with the tight hairpin scenario, it was the only way I could get my fully laden Hayabusa round the hairpins on the Route Napoleon o_O

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  15. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    I'd like to offer a few thoughts on Billy's question.

Speed reduction is what we're talking about right? Specifically entering and during cornering?

What we should be advising has nothing whatever to do with what happens on the racetracks around the world - absolutely nothing, It's a different world with different rules/laws/practices.

Riding on the road is all about being at the right speed, at the right time. This is mostly achieved by lots of attention, studying road conditions, careful applications of the throttle - no touching of any brakes AT ALL.

If you have to apply any braking force to your bike whilst going through a corner, you've done it wrong.

Now, if you've mucked up and you need to apply braking, which should you use, front, front & rear or rear?

The answer to this question can be found in an understanding how brakes work, on a bike. Front brake(s) on average bikes provide 75% of total braking with the rear providing, on average, 25%.

So, we're going through a corner too fast, should we use any brakes? Can we reduce enough speed by just reducing power? If not, front or rear? Well how much speed to we need to shave? A lot? Or LOADS? If it's just "a lot" then we could 'trail' the back brake. Just be careful to not dump too much boot on that back pedal or you'll lock the back wheel and you'll be on your arse in nano seconds.

If you need to lose LOADS, you're in deep shit and you grab all, lose the bike and you're in hospital !

Honestly there really is no better way of surviving on the roads than plenty of observation/analysis and smooth progression.

Right I'll go back in me cupboard under the stairs, until springtime.........

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  16. Ken walburn

Ken walburn Noble Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Essex
    Totally agree with all of the above. But you & I & prob everyone else knows that in the real world riding into a bend will more than likely result in some kind of braking prior or during that bend. I do set myself targets on ride outs to be in the correct gear & use engine braking as much as possible when entering corners but yes the perfect line is illusive on many occasions resulting in the need to tap the rear brake to assist. Just sayin :worried:

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Samuel F

Mar 24, 2015
    Glasgow
    Thanks the big lad, all in all, i really think I’m approaching moat corners with the safe attitude. But youtube feeds you videos similar to the ones you’ve watched. So I ended up wondering about that precise technique is all.

18. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

According to IAM you shouldn't use engine braking !!!

Lots of schools of thought on this topic.

You should get all your braking done in a straight line, but sometimes you do need to scrub that bit more off. Trail braking is an effective way of doing that. It loads up the front suspension and pushes that tyre in and the bike around the bend.

Can't say I use it every bend, but being proficient in the use of, can only be a good thing. Just an extra piece in your toolkit, ready to be used as and when necessary.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    Regularly trail brake front or back brake but it does depend on the weather and road conditions.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Follow the old advice of slow in, fast out, brake in a straight line and be in the right gear and you wont go far wrong. Trailing the rear brake gently on some corners is a useful thing to remember and works well. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1