Trackday, new tyre or old?

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by Glynmcc, Sep 7, 2014.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Glynmcc

Glynmcc Member

May 22, 2013
    Torpoint
    Basically going to break my trackday cherry at Brands Hatch in October, had the 675R for 18 months, but alas 2200 miles and the rear tyre with no chicken strips on it, and beginning to flatten off is coming to the end of its life, do I stick with it then bin it after the trackday or shall I put a new tyre on. They are the Pirelli Supercorsas you get with the bike. Oh and I'll be travelling up to Brands Hatch from a Plymouth on it.

2. 2wheeledant

2wheeledant Member

Aug 10, 2014
    South Shields
    Doubt it will last a track day tbh, ruin your day if you destroy it & come off

3. Tricky one!
    I guess the weather would have a bearing on it - if the tread's worn on the existing it will be an issue if it's wet, but maybe not if it's dry. I'm not an expert.
    Arrived at Oulton for a track day last Tuesday with a flat rear and didn't even consider a repair - straight to the track day tyre people and had it replaced. Track days are not cheap, and always hit and miss with the weather so didn't want to risk missing any of it!
    Finances obviously play a part - you could leave it to the day and if you have any concerns just go straight to the tyre man and get it replaced - I've never checked the price of tyres and it cost £165 + £20 fitting for the Raceteck K3 on the Speed - maybe it would have been cheaper elsewhere. I think there's always a tyre truck at track days but best to check before you go, and that they have your size in stock.
    I was surprised to find the tyre rep at Oulton last week didn't have a paddock stand to fit a Speed Triple - he had to remove the wheel and change the tyre while I held the bike over on it's side stand.
    Best of luck - and enjoy! Last week's was my 3rd track day, but only managed 5 sessions out of the previous 2 due to rain, and being only newly back to bikes have hugely increased my confidence.

4. Stevie67

Stevie67 New Member

Jul 14, 2014
    Done a few track days myself. I'd say ride up there and then do your sighting laps. After this you're first few laps will be a bit tentative and you'll take it easy up until lunch. By them you'll be finding you're feet. This will be the time to sort your rubber out. New tyres are reasonably priced. And fitting should be only about £20 or so. There should be the option for you to buy pre worn scrubs as well as new tyres, and the scrubs should still have a nice round profile. Talk to the tyre man there, he should advise you. Not just try and take your money. Then enjoy the afternoon sessions.

5. Glynmcc

Glynmcc Member

May 22, 2013
    Torpoint
    Thanks guys for the great advice, didn't realise they would have a tyre guy there, that's my knowledge of TDs for you.