Trackday ECU mapping

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Hutchism, Jul 23, 2013.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Hutchism

Hutchism Member

Jul 23, 2013
    #1 Hutchism, Jul 23, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
    Sorry for the multiple posts, but I guess I've got a few questions to ask. Doing a track day next week and currently have a standard exhaust on it. Was wondering if I could take a Power tune ECU map and dump it straight onto the bike to give me a more powerful midrange. Perhaps tweak the map a little or will this be completely wasted with the standard pipe? I've heard that gas flow on the standard pipes is actually pretty good and perhaps the difference in back pressure would be negligible?

Any thoughts, much appreciated! Also I've noticed that the OEM maps compared to any other homebrew maps are very jagged. Can totally see why changing from the OEM maps would provide much smoother power delivery. Do they look like crazy paving to get around emissions or is there another technical reason for them looking the way they do?

Long term might look at getting a Trident can, but can't really afford that right now!

(Bike is a 955 Sprint RS - 2004)

Just realised, this should probably be in the technical section.

2. Hutchism

Hutchism Member

Jul 23, 2013
    A little update on this one.
    Tried a couple of different maps with standard exhaust. *** is my opinion which may well be wrong ;)

10168Map.hex OEM 955cc Speed Triple from VIN 207555 with standard exhaust:
    ***Latest OEM map, seems a little "fruitier" than the earlier map with a richer mixture

10158PK.hex Speed Triple 955 from VIN 147921 to 207554 Sprint ST/RS from VIN 139277 to 207554 Aftermarket exhaust Revised
    series 2006 tune for 02-04 Sprint ST/RS and Speed Triple, with aftermarket exhaust. High flow air filter helps as well.
    Base tune is OEM 10158.
    ***Seems to be the best of the bunch, not totally dissimilar to the latest OEM one, but with a healthier midrange wack and revlimiter kicks in at 10,000rpm, took my bike out last night and was quite shocked at the results. Much smoother and nicer to ride, low speed/low rpm is very smooth, more power and clean all the way through the revs.

Have yet to try 10130PKTour.hex 10130PKpower.hex and 10158MapPKTour.hex . Though I'm thinking at this stage I'll start making my own and see how it fares. Obviously it'd be nice to have a dyno and to get it setup properly, but it's cheaper and more fun to fiddle yourself :) All maps are downloadable from TuneECU - Links