Tps On My 06 T100 Is Kaput, Now What?

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Aceofharps, Jan 7, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Aceofharps

Aceofharps Member

Oct 29, 2020
    Minster Ohio
    Tested my TPS and it's as dead as a door nail. Haven't been able to locate a new or used replacement. Tried spraying Deoxit into it but it looks to be well sealed. Anyone have some suggestions to remedy the situation? Thanks

2. Alatamoc

Alatamoc Senior Member

Mar 29, 2019
    Uk
    On my old Moto guzzi Californias this happened....the cure( though I never tried it) was to carefully drill a small hole in the TPS and spray with contact cleaner.
    Sorry but if parts aren't available that's all I can suggest.

3. Iron

Iron Guest

#3 Iron, Jan 7, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2021
    Blimey, doesn't sound good. I'm afraid I have no idea about how these things work so I went to look after you saying there's no fix available.
    The site https://www.triumphtwinpower.com/ has a section that says "If your TPS is damaged in any way, it can't be replaced on it's own, you will have to buy a complete set of carbs from Triumph or a breakers yard. So be careful........you have been warned."
    So there may be a way by getting hold of a set of carbs assuming you can't adjust or fix. The adjust methods are here if they can help at all
    https://www.triumphtwinpower.com/tps_adjustment.php
    Doesn't seem right that an electronic unit fails and you have to buy a complete set of carbs.
    Is this the same on all modern motorcycles or is it just Triumphs where the spares aren't available?

4. Aceofharps

Aceofharps Member

Oct 29, 2020
    Minster Ohio
    Thanks. I've read those Triumph Twin Power articles. They're very good. As far as other motorcycles, I've seen new TPS's available for them.
    Thought I might be able to find a used set of carbs with a good TPS. No luck so far.

5. Iron

Iron Guest

#6 Iron, Jan 8, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2021
    Again, I have no knowledge but having a scout round on t'tinternet it seems the Keihin carbs on the Triumph are the same as the Suzuki FCR39 carbs - the sensors for these seem to be available - may be worth having a search around. But, of course, I may be miles out. Good luck.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    Do you know anyone with a working TPS? That could measure the resistance curve and give you the figures? As it's basically a resister pot just like a volume control so with the correct value pot and a bit of ingenuity it could be replaced.

The other possibility is that being a carbed bike the TPS can only be for ignition advance/retard feedback so maybe replace the ignition system with another that will fit maybe from an earlier bike or another similar.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. Aceofharps

Aceofharps Member

Oct 29, 2020
    Minster Ohio
    I drilled a small hole in the o-ring cavity & sprayed Deoxit into it. It's working. Thanks for all your suggestions.

• Like Like x 4
  8. Alatamoc

Alatamoc Senior Member

Mar 29, 2019
    Uk
    Good news.
    Al

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. Hubaxe

Hubaxe Good moaning! aka Mr Wordsalad :)

Mar 25, 2020
    Aix Les bains - French Alps
    Well done.
    A TPS is a potentiometer, nothing more.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Iron

Iron Guest

Result, well done Al

• Agree Agree x 2