Tps And Ultrasonic Carb Cleaning.

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Pike, Oct 2, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Pike

Pike Member

Sep 25, 2018
    Bristol
    Needing to have my carbs thoroughly cleaned (see thread "pick up coil") as very gummed up/coated in varnish.
    However, How can they be ultrasonic cleaned with the TPS still attached?
    I understand the TPS should not be removed?
    I have other bikes (japanese) with TPS on carbs which can be adjusted/removed?

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Pike.
    Worth a chat with one of the carb cleaning companies. Would be useful to know.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Pike

Pike Member

Sep 25, 2018
    Bristol
    Yeah, Done a bit more research in between tonights work requirements, You tube Johnny cactus) has removed his TPS when rejetting and Triumph Twin Power have some technical data on setting the TPS but only if it's been messed with previously. i will have to examin mine to see if it's ever been tampered with. I know Chemical cleaner in Ultrasonic would not be good for the TPS and could destroy it then goodnight carbs!

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    Once you remove your carburetors , you should be able to mark/stamp an alignment point , so you can reassemble it and then you'd only have minor adjustment to get your bike to run properly and smoothly again ???

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Pike

Pike Member

Sep 25, 2018
    Bristol
    So, like on other carbs, the TPS can be removed? I know most carbs are either Mikuni or Keihin but it's unusual to me that Triumph don't suggest you can remove the TPS. Also, it's not a servicable part!

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    I would be very surprised if they are not removable !

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Pike

Pike Member

Sep 25, 2018
    Bristol
    Yeah me too. read somewhere that if TPS fail in these it's a new carb! Ridiculous mate. More am researching may try a soak and clean up on my bench and see how that goes first. With an ultrasonic clean as a fall back position.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    My ultrasonic cleaner is 2.5 or 3 L from memory. It is no great problem to strip the bottom of the carbs but leave them connected and to remove the tops, sliders and diaphragm. You can then support the TPS just clear of the liquid. Bath and cleaner solution both from Amazon.

If you now suspect fuelling I would be rinsing tank, removing and cleaning the fuel tap and the inline gauze filter above the carb T piece. My 2005 acquired in 2013 had a mass of red sludge all the way down to the float bowls.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Pike

Pike Member

Sep 25, 2018
    Bristol
    Ah....What inline gauze filter! Mine hasn't got one above T piece.
    If it's not fuel carbs certainly aren't helping matters. Have never seen so much brown yucky varnish! Found couple other forum threads which claim they have disconnected TPS altogether? Has anyone tried this?
    Yep. Will need advice and clean tank gap etc. Turning into quite a project!

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Pike

Pike Member

Sep 25, 2018
    Bristol
    Have ordered an Ultrasonic cleaner and some carb cleaner specifically for cleaning carbs and removal of varnish.
    many years ago tried cleaning alloy parts with thinners that didn't end well. Part began to melt!

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    It’s a tiny gauze thimble inside the fuel pipe itself.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Pike

Pike Member

Sep 25, 2018
    Bristol
    If you mean main fuel hose that goes from tank to carbs pt
    T3620008
    Then mine definitely hasn't got any gauze. Just piece of 8mm bore fuel hose. It looks original?
    Will fit an in line filter for belt and braces after cleaning fuel tap filter etc. BTW...any tips on removing the pilot air screw bungs? It looks like it's brass. It has a round top flatted on one side as you look down on it

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
  14. Pike

Pike Member

Sep 25, 2018
    Bristol
    The TPS had the factory blue paint? marking to align the TPS to the carb body. as this will probably come off in the cleaner have carefully used a punch to mark body and sensor to realign on assembly.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Pike

Pike Member

Sep 25, 2018
    Bristol
  16. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Dunno about invaluable....... could have saved you quite a few quid if I had been less trusting of your initial diagnosis! I got well acquainted with my own steed because it had both fuel contamination AND a faltering ignition coil PLUS an iffy igniter when I acquired it. It took a few weeks to eliminate all the culprits.

17. Pike

Pike Member

Sep 25, 2018
    Bristol
    No worries just can't believe....and I'll probably get shot for this....how poor quality and unreliable these Hinckley beasts seem to be. The stories of common problems that in this day and age with modern materials, manufacturing processes and quality control should not be the case!
    I'm not being niave but so say genuine triumph parts are "Made in Tiawan". And people slag off Chinese bikes for poor quality and unreliability but at least they are cheap to buy and maintain! My daily commute is a 40 year old Honda 250 single that the wife had from 6 months old. It's on the original coil, original pick up coil, HT leads, cap and 47,000 miles later is as reliable today as it was when new! When you hear stories about modern Triumphs...and they aint cheap...having issues with gearboxes at less than 10K miles old then that really is inexcusable. After all, these bikes aint cheap! Hopefully once I have finished getting it sorted I will have confidence in it again. As I've said, when running, my Bonnie is a great ride!

18. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    I am not so critical......

Firstly your bike is probably suffering from a mix of old age decay and Gill electrics. Perhaps more the former than the latter....... A car sitting around getting very occasional use would be sickly after 13 yrs. The Gill igniter, coils etc., are about the sole real weaknesses in the Bonneville. Gill themselves have probably learnt much in the process and improved their product. They needed to. I don’t think they still supply Triumph but you haven’t proven yours faulty yet!

19. Pike

Pike Member

Sep 25, 2018
    Bristol
    Yeah...Can't fault your assessment mate. Was probably being a bit unjust. Don't get me wrong...really like the bike, the heritage, simplicity to work on and it's British. So my summation was probably unfair. Anyhow...parts should start arriving today so will crack on.

20. Pike

Pike Member

Sep 25, 2018
    Bristol
    Ok. Stripped carbs for cleaning and took some measurements. Float heights 14mms spec 16-18mm. Main jet 125 in both.
    Exhaust TOR 9601023 & 9601024
    Is jets and spec float height correct for exhausts?
    Stock airbox and filter.