Touring With Rucksack?

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by DanielB, Feb 18, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. DanielB

DanielB Noble Member

Jan 13, 2019
    Abingdon, Oxfordshire
    Hi all. Not for me, but a friend...what are the pitfalls and benefits of light touring with a rucksack? Just a long weekend tour in the UK spring...

Panniers better?
    Doesn't matter?
    Rucksacks are great because...?
    Rucksacks are a.terrible idea because...?

Any thoughts or opinions welcome!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. DanielB

DanielB Noble Member

Jan 13, 2019
    Abingdon, Oxfordshire
    Thank you for such a swift reply @littleade. That's kinda what I thought but didn't know, so it is good to hear others thoughts. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Smilinjack

Smilinjack Guest

I went to Germany with a rucksack and it wasn't a massive problem, although my heavy stuff was in a tankbag. Will cause a bit of backache though. :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. Dartplayer

Dartplayer Crème de la Crème

Aug 8, 2018
    New Zealand
    Agree, I love the Triumph backpack given as part of my bike purchase, but strap it to my rear fender under my Kreiga US Drypack. :sun: These drypacks come in multiple sizes that you can strap together :cool:

5ADF25F1-0A17-454E-8006-06B7C8DB04B7.jpeg

• Like Like x 4
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. Notso

Notso Senior Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Solihull
    #6 Notso, Feb 18, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2021
    I guess it depends how long you plan to ride for. I find ruck sacks make my back sweaty and uncomfortable and I don't like weight up on my back when riding, might be psychological, but I feel less stable. One thing having a pack lunch and laptop for a short trip, but packed up for the weekend with a few hours of riding isn't my idea of an enjoyable ride.

Agree with the bag strapped on being better. Something like Lomo bags are waterproof and great value. Rokstraps or similar also reasonable and easy but not essential.
    Edit, typed same thoughts at same time as Tiglet!

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. andyc1

andyc1 Lunarville 7, Airlock 3

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    I have a good kriga backpack, can easily wear it all day in comfort. But I reckon the amount of stuff you'd likely pack for a short trip would make to too heavy so a roll bag on the back seat gets my vote too.
    PS. I crash tested it too and it may have actually offered additional padding as I rolled down the road, I don't think a well designed bike rucksack is much of a safety concern.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. DanielB

DanielB Noble Member

Jan 13, 2019
    Abingdon, Oxfordshire
    Thank you all! I will feedback :heart:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Jadorff

Jadorff Noble Member

Apr 14, 2019
    Adelaide Australia
    I agree I use a gear sack on long trips or panniers ,if you have them .I would like having a back pack on all day

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Jadorff

Jadorff Noble Member

Apr 14, 2019
    Adelaide Australia
    #10 Jadorff, Feb 19, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2022
    I agree I use a gear sack on long trips or panniers ,if you have them .I wouldn't like having a back pack on all day

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Backpack is fine for short trips and if lightly packed. The more bike oriented it is ie. Kriega, the more comfortable it will be.
    I've used a Lomo roll bag strapped to the pillion seat for a trip to Germany.

I used bungees back then but would definitely invest in Rokstraps if ever doing it again.
    Had panniers - probably the best for capacity, security (if the hard type) and balance on the bike. Downside is they can hamper filtering.
    Not a big fan of tank bags but prefer a tailpack strapped to the pillion seat.

I suppose the advantage of the rucksack is that it comes with you when you leave the bike, whereas your roll bag is either left on the bike or you have to unstrap it and attach it again.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    Tank bags are ok. They’re useful for keeping your Knick knacks in :eek: and are easily accessible eg money for tolls, camera etc:)

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Hubaxe

Hubaxe Good moaning! aka Mr Wordsalad :)

Mar 25, 2020
    Aix Les bains - French Alps
    #13 Hubaxe, Feb 19, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
    I personally avoid any extra charge on my shoulders on long trip. I reserve backpack for short commuting.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Alatamoc

Alatamoc Senior Member

Mar 29, 2019
    Uk
    I wasn't born to be a baggage donkey.
    I simply fail to understand why anyone would consider touring on a bike and carrying a load on their back.
    Might as well pick up the bike and carry it too whilst about it.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. Flay

Flay Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2016
    Gondwanaland
    I always use a rucksack by preference. If I need to carry a lot, I arrange the straps so that the sack is mounted low and literally sits on the seat behind me so my back isn't taking the load. Also makes it easier mounting the bike as there is nothing on the back seat in the way when I swing my leg over.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  16. Hubaxe

Hubaxe Good moaning! aka Mr Wordsalad :)

Mar 25, 2020
    Aix Les bains - French Alps
    A bit out of subject. A friend of mine that does motorcycles trips (Peru, South Africa, etc) never ever want a rucksack.
    He once explained the rucksack could cause severe spinal damages if he fall off the bike (and he knows what he says, he came back from South Africa with one leg in several pieces)

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Alatamoc

Alatamoc Senior Member

Mar 29, 2019
    Uk
    I agree...it's rather like securing the anchor on your boat by wrapping the chain round your waist.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Kenbro

Kenbro Noble Member

Jul 9, 2019
    Manchester, UK
    I don’t know whether there’s any safety aspect to using a rucksack, but very many people of many different genders carry huge rucksacks on their backs for many hours each day, and, walking at the same time!
    Surely a ruffty tuffty biker can do that?
    Ken.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    #19 Helmut Visor, Feb 19, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
    188986_1.jpg
    overburdened-soldiers.png

• Funny Funny x 2