Touring On A Street Twin

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by Gary_P, Dec 3, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Gary_P

Gary_P Active Member

May 19, 2016
    North Yorkshire
    Hi,
    This may well have been asked before but I have searched the forum and cannot find any reference so here goes:
    Do any of you use your Street Twin for touring? And what range are you getting from the tank?

I am considering a change but I do go away each year so range is a factor. It seems the Street Twin is quite frugal on fuel so the 12l tank may be sufficient to get decent miles between fill-ups, but wanted to get some info from current owners.

Other considerations are T120 and the 900 cruisers.

Thanks.

2. John T

John T Senior Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    Touring on my T120 gave 60mpg so 150 miles plus on fill ups pushing 200 at a pinch

• Like Like x 1
  3. Gary_P

Gary_P Active Member

May 19, 2016
    North Yorkshire
    Thanks John, thats good miles and comparible with the sort of range I would fill up on my current Tiger Sport.

4. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Not long after getting my BPOS (865EFI)went for a ride and got a bit lost on the way back when the fuel light came on :confused:
    Trip was showing 196mls when I found a petrol station :)
    Was getting a bit worried not knowing where I was and the light had been on for ages :worried:
    But well impressed with 196mls:)...never had a bike with a tank range as good as this :cool:

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. DesertRat

DesertRat Member

Oct 10, 2017
    Yuscon, AZ USA
    The newer water cooled twins get substantially better mileage than the water-cooled. I did a 1000 mile trip on my '17 T100 and regularly did 195 miles between fill ups, knowing there was a gallon left when the light came on. Think I could have approached 250 before she went dry. The bike was also quite loaded with camping gear so she was carrying a good load, with me weighing about 200 lbs with gear.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    You just need to remember the US gallon is based on the 16 fl oz pint (x8) whereas the UK Gallon is based on the Imperial pint of 20 fl oz. I believe it goes back to ullage allowances on wooden barrels being shipped across the Atlantic.......
    Fortunately we use the same mile!

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. DesertRat

DesertRat Member

Oct 10, 2017
    Yuscon, AZ USA
    Ah yes, forgot about that minor little bit of confusion!

8. DesertRat

DesertRat Member

Oct 10, 2017
    Yuscon, AZ USA
    What I should have added is that whether you're talking US gallons, UK gallons, or liters, the twins are an awesome bike for touring. Most of the 50k I did on my tigers were touring but I'm finding I like my Bonnie much better!

9. Gary_P

Gary_P Active Member

May 19, 2016
    North Yorkshire
    Thanks Dilligaf, that is far more miles than I would consider travelling between stops and really helpful to get the actual miles achieved from current owners.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Gary_P

Gary_P Active Member

May 19, 2016
    North Yorkshire
    Thanks DesertRat, and interesting that you prefer the Bonnie to the Tiger for touring. One of my reasons for changing is to get something lighter that I will be more inclined to commute on but it will still have to take me away each summer. Thanks.

11. Gary_P

Gary_P Active Member

May 19, 2016
    North Yorkshire
    Cheers Andy, I will drop him a pm.

12. Kinjane

Kinjane Active Member

Oct 15, 2017
    Bristol, Land of Enger
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    Check my thread touring Scotland on my Street Twin. Did Keilder GMU long weekend on it this year too. Works fine for me for long days in the saddle loaded up on the pillion seat and rack.

https://www.thetriumphforum.com/threads/my-scotland-trip-part-one.11067/

• Useful Useful x 1
  14. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    I'm currently showing 70mpg on my UK street twin (I've not reset the computer from new). On average I get bewteen 140 and 160 from a tank full between fills. Great bike.
    Wessa

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Gary_P

Gary_P Active Member

May 19, 2016
    North Yorkshire
    Quality, thanks Rich, that is really informative and looks like you had an awesome trip.

16. Gary_P

Gary_P Active Member

May 19, 2016
    North Yorkshire
    Nice one thanks Wessa, that is excellent mpg and really helpful.

17. Kinjane

Kinjane Active Member

Oct 15, 2017
    Bristol, Land of Enger
    #16 Kinjane, Dec 5, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
    Just covered 200 miles on my T120 yesterday and haven't filled her back up yet but there's not much left in the tank except a load of echoes.

• Like Like x 3