Touring France - Help Please

Discussion in 'Rideouts, Trackdays, Touring & Spotted' started by topbanana0, Mar 25, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. topbanana0

topbanana0 Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2016
    South Wales
    I'm trying to organise a summer tour of France, we have a week (Monday to Saturday)
    Would like to travel from Calais, ride the east side of France. Maybe visiting Belgium/Germany/Switzerland.
    Really want to avoid motorways, and stick to nice roads. Would prefer to cover less distance, than spend all day on the motorway.
    So I'm looking for your advice, places to visit, roads to ride/routes etc

2. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    I remember going from Calais to a gite somewhere between Besancon and Pontarlier in (I believe) the Jura region near the Swiss border. Took around seven hours with not too many autoroutes if memory serves. 'Tis a great country for motorcycling:cool: - or was - but remember it is a big bugger. Distances may be greater than you might expect!:eek: And I know this how, exactly?:oops:

• Like Like x 1
  3. topbanana0

topbanana0 Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2016
    South Wales
    Funny you mentioned Besancon, I was just looking at staying there.

4. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    I seem to remember that it looked a nice place to visit. Sadly we never got the chance. Had a good day trip to Interlaken, Lauterbrunnen and Wengen (train to Wengen - no road access) in that Switzerland though.:cool:

5. Tibster

Tibster Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2019
    Witney
    Besancon is very nice , from there loosely or tightly follow the river . Lovely villages town all the way to Mulhouse ( good car museum there ) Basel is only about 20miles away follow the Rhine all good Laufenbourg very pretty (Germany ) tbh you cant go too far wrong , go as far as time allows , Sursee then Lucerne maybe depends on time . I riden this by push bike and its great , I usually go over the Alps into Andermatt (Oberalp pass ,lots of Motobikes ) then either Rhone valley Geneva or Italian lakes . Have fun

• Like Like x 1
  6. Reggie

Reggie Senior Member

Feb 19, 2016
    Penicuik
  7. trudd

trudd Member

Oct 13, 2014
  8. In my own world

In my own world Senior Member

Dec 22, 2018
    West Sussex
    Don't forget you're international driving licences if Brexit goes though. Can get these for each county from the post office. About a fiver each. I have about 6 for non EU counties at the moment.