Torque Settings For Triumph Twins

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by crispey, Aug 11, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Thought I would put these up so that anyone can print them off and have them on their shed wall rather than trawl the tinternet

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Excellent that !

3. Recycled Rocker

Recycled Rocker Senior Member

Apr 19, 2014
    North Yorkshire Cave
    Nice one Crispey :D

4. Eric_H

Eric_H Member

Oct 17, 2014
    Blackburn, Lancashire
    Very useful - Thanks Crispey.

5. bonniebuddy

bonniebuddy New Member

Sep 16, 2014
    Thanks a lot for this!!!!
    Great to have it all there so nice and neat!!!

6. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
  7. Samuel F

Samuel F Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2015
    Glasgow
    Hello ! Total mechanic noob again here. Can someone explain to me what that is ? :D

8. Samuel F

Mar 24, 2015
    Glasgow
    Is a torque Wrench a wrench which applies a specific pressure to a bolt ?

9. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Basically yes, torque settings are there so that you don't over tighten or under tighten bolts etc. Look at the range of settings and buy one that will cover the majority, hard pushed to find just one that would do all. You can get ones that click when the reach the right torque, most popular. Make sure the one you purchase is the right drive size for your socket set!

• Like Like x 2
  10. Samuel F

Mar 24, 2015
    Glasgow
    Thank you for this very precise answer.

11. GaryM

GaryM It's him, you know who. Him from you know ....

Apr 28, 2016
    Patna , Ayrshire
    To cover most ranges you will need at least 2. A 1/4 and 3/8 inch drives.
    1/4 inch usually up to 25 nm and the 3/8 inch up 120 nm.
    I actually have 3, I also have a 1/2 drive which goes up to 210 nm.
    I use these for tightening up on the bike as its too easy to strip a thread on an aluminium engine.
    To undo a nut/bolti would suggest using a breaker bar rather than the socket handle as well

• Like Like x 1
  12. Samuel F

Mar 24, 2015
    Glasgow
    Allright, so say I would like to change my suspension, I would need those right ?
    (It's all theory, as a complete catechumen in mechanics and motorcycles I probably won't do it this year )

Thank you for your answers. It's much appreciated.

13. GaryM

Apr 28, 2016
    Patna , Ayrshire
    Depends what you mean by change your suspension.
    If you mean adjust preload etc then no.
    If you mean put a different brand of suspension on then yes.
    Do you intend to do your own maintance or are you going to get a garage to do it?
    Decent quality tools are expensive so if you weren't going to get the use out of them, it would be hard to justify you spending a great deal of money on them.
    Do you already have tools or are you just starting out to buy them?

• Like Like x 1
  14. Samuel F

Mar 24, 2015
    Glasgow
    I'll tell you exactly what I want.
    I want to learn.
    I'm a graphic Designer and photographer. Never did anything remotely close to mechanics. I just bought a Bonneville, and I'd like to be able, say in about 2-3 years to somewhat be able to maintain it by myself, be able to change my parts, do my servicing etc... So when I see an opportunity to learn about anything of such, I try to learn :)

I completely understand the stupidity of buying expensive tools for nothing. Most of my tutees want to buy a 1200£ camera, when then just started photography... Useless...

So, no, I have no tools, my precious is parked on a private driveway until further notice, so no shed or garage, I have no mechanics knowledge. I just read forums and try to learn stuff. ( and, as a French, technical terms often need to be explained to me :D as it is not my mother tongue )/.

15. GaryM

Apr 28, 2016
    Patna , Ayrshire
    Not a prob Sam. So at some point you intent to do your own servicing, that's good imv.
    So you need a starter set of decent tools.
    If it was me starting out I would buy something like this. Not too expensive but Sealey are a good make.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301141736474?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
    The advantage is you have proper storage and the tools needed to cover most jobs that you will be able to do. Not just for the bike either as some of them you would be able to use for general DIY as well.
    Overtime you would add to them with specific tools that you need in addition to those ones.
    Your problem is partly having somewhere to work on your bike and store your tools.
    Another option would be the likes of this
    http://www.halfords.com/workshop-to...onal-200-piece-socket-and-ratchet-spanner-set
    I have built up my tools over the years, I started off with a very basic socket set and in time have replaced it, that's not including the various other tools over time I have bought such as the torque wrenches , breaker bars, impact hammer , impact sockets etc. The list goes on believe me :D
    I still buy tools now. One thing I don't have is a good storage system for them.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Sceptic Al

Sceptic Al Well-Known Member

Cheers Crispy, very useful

17. mikep

mikep New Member

Jun 2, 2014
    Bradford, West Yorkshire
    Just purchased via Ebay a Draper Torque Wrench (Model 3004A) 3/8 with a 1/2 converter - just the job! Completed rear brake maintenance after viewing Delboys video - no problem.

• Like Like x 2
  18. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Bump this as someone was asking