Torque Settings - Engine Mount Bolts

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by andyb57, Feb 8, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. andyb57

andyb57 Senior Member

Apr 15, 2017
    Devon
    So Haynes reckons 80nm initially, final tightening to 95. I’ve tried to 80 but feel I don’t want to heave on the wrench anymore than I have..... Maybe my torque wrench needs recalibration game but it already feels very very tight.
    Any advice from the forum cognoscenti??

2. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    How long is your lever? Plenty of wheel nuts are torqued to twice 80nm so I would not get nervous. You WILL need to lean on a stubby wrench!

• Like Like x 1
  3. andyb57

andyb57 Senior Member

Apr 15, 2017
    Devon
    Cheers!
    Think I’ll invest in a better tool for the higher range, have a Norbar which goes to 60 but the other is a lot less sophisticated

• Like Like x 1
  4. Malcolm Woods

Malcolm Woods Noble Member

Sep 16, 2019
    norfolk
    Having just removed the front lower engine mount bolt to remove crash bar, I read the bolt should be tightened to 40Nm. I haven't yet a torque wrench for that setting, so I have had a guess and feel that should be good as the bolt is supporting a shear load. 80Nm seems massive to to me and could put undue strain on the frame lugs and the engine mount which is only a cast alloy.

5. andyb57

andyb57 Senior Member

Apr 15, 2017
    Devon
    Exactly my concern as I started tightening bolts.... Didn’t get anywhere near 80, snugged it up good and tight. Then a little more.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Malcolm Woods

Sep 16, 2019
    norfolk

7. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    As recommended in another thread about the Street Triple weld failures on the frame and recommendation to check bolt tightness, I want to check my Speed Triple's bolts

I have not used my torque wrench for many a month and know would not be accurate
    Is it possible to rectify this myself?
    Also, how should they be stored for long term - wound down completely or just enough so there is some tension?

8. Malcolm Woods

Sep 16, 2019
    norfolk
    A special tool called an acutorque is used to calibrate a torque wrench. False economy for us DIY people. It seems to me you need buy a new torque wrench, even the cheapest ones come with a calibrating certificate.
    Storage is NOT under load and kept in its case.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    Just found this in YouTube - answers my question

10. Notso

Notso Senior Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Solihull
    The old fashioned way is to make up something that you can tighten whilst held in a vice or frame and hang known weight a measured distance when the wrench is horizontal and calculate the moment. You can vary the distance and weight for different settings and adjust the wrench if necessary, or apply a correction if you don't want to mess with it.

• Like Like x 1