Too late pal !!!!!

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by philcov40, Sep 20, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. philcov40

philcov40 New Member

Jan 18, 2015
    coventry
    After years of promising myself I would one day get my dream triumph I finally took the plunge and went for a Thunderbird Storm 1700 which was about 2 years old from a main dealership ,I then took my friend in and he got a America from them so they did quite well from us.
    But dreams are quickly shattered as 12 months after I noticed flakes of paint coming away from the rear belt pulley which has got really bad so took it back to be told
    ' that shouldn't go like that ' so they made contact with triumph direct who have said ' sorry not under warranty !! '
    so thought I would try and contact them but ran straight into the same brick wall ( but we can supply and fit one for a small fortune )
    Has anyone else had a similar problem ?
    So looks like I'm stuck with my dream machine which will look like a rat bike unless I stump up 2 to 3 hundred quid .

other choice is sell and move to the dark side ( get a Harley )

2015-03-07 13.25.12.jpg

2. cafecruzin

cafecruzin Member

Sep 1, 2014
    Perth Western Australia
    spray can or take it off and have it powder coated

• Like Like x 2
  3. Robin Sanderson

Robin Sanderson Active Member

Jul 14, 2015
    Peterborough
    DIY and save the small fortune to spend on beer!

• Like Like x 2
  4. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Definitely a DIY job. That pulley looks like it's made from aluminium so do make sure you use an aluminium-specific primer. Otherwise a piece of cake job to do.

Don't go to Harley, you'll regret it on loads of levels.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Recycled Rocker

Recycled Rocker Senior Member

Apr 19, 2014
    North Yorkshire Cave
    Too small a problem to change bike. An afternoons work to DIY and the pleasure on completion. Radio on, you and a pal, maybe somebody close on here? (I've 3 HD's but shhhh don't think anybody noticed hee hee hee, even did Rockers Reunion last weekend on one) Won't be long tho' til a Trumpet sits alongside again, 60's version probably but got offered a 76 T140 for £3,500 but the old hip says Oh Yeah?)

6. stollydriver

stollydriver Elite Member

Apr 25, 2015
    north wales
    Agree with above - local company to me charges @£100 to powder coat , diy job would work well and as stated give pleasure on finished result and cash left in pocket. Winner - you!

• Like Like x 1
  7. folkbloke

folkbloke Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2013
    Sussex
    I've just been out to look at my 18 month old Commander and it looks OK at the moment. The matt black finish seems to be holding up well (which is more than I can say for the polished alloy wheels which start corroding at the slightest hint of rain :mad:)

I think the DIY option is a goer if you've got a lift to support the bike while you get the wheel out. It doesn't look complicated but it's a fair bit of work I reckon. I'd get it powder coated if you can.

Alternatively you could probably do a "holding job" with a steady hand and small paintbrush while it's in place although you wouldn't be able to get to the inside.....

Keep us updated.

8. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    So Dick, you're suggesting a hand-job then, or have I misunderstood ? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  9. stollydriver

stollydriver Elite Member

Apr 25, 2015
    north wales
    Does that mean if you get it sprayed it's a b... job?

10. folkbloke

folkbloke Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2013
    Sussex
    Yes, left hand if you're right handed ;)

11. snarly

snarly Active Member

Sep 8, 2013
    Essex
    Nothing wrong with the dark side! Had my Harley 6 years with no issues!
    Def a DIY job or powder coat on that pulley or see if you can get a chrome/black pulley cover that sits over your one. I have one on the Harley and its fine.

• Like Like x 1
  12. philcov40

philcov40 New Member

Jan 18, 2015
    coventry
    Thanks for the good advice will have a go at the diy just have to get it off the ground !!

13. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Oh boys! boys! Welcome in Phil, Take no notice of this lot. Do it yourself, we were given extra genes and able to climb out of the trees to enable us to do this sort of thing for ourselves although you wouldn't beleive we all fall into that category considering some of the earlier remarks! Good luck with it.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Recycled Rocker

Recycled Rocker Senior Member

Apr 19, 2014
    North Yorkshire Cave
    You will definately need to get/borrow a stand/lift to get it off the ground anyway, to enable good maintenance and cleaning me thinks. Back yourself to take back wheel out, it makes tyre replacement cheaper as well as well as cleaning back end etc, whilst wheel is removed. Seek help if yer have never done it, surely you are not Billy No Mates in London? :)

15. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    so the bike is 3 yrs or so old, surely you expect some wear and tear on it, a bit of paint coming off aint much to moan about. take a look at harleys and they are no better,jeez even BMW and the best of the lot for finish,Honda aint perfect.

easy job to get it coated