To Sorn Or Not To Sorn And Ethanol

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by Eastbournemark, Oct 30, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Eastbournemark

Eastbournemark Proud Snowflake

Jun 17, 2017
    Eastbourne
    Ive noticed a few folk are now putting their bikes away and claiming SORN for the winter (saves £40). I’ve never done this but am thinking about it. During the winter I usually take the bike out every two weeks or so. Not that I need or want to go out but I have a possible irrational belief that because of the ethanol in today’s petrol it corrodes and blocks jets etc up so keeping a little fresh petrol in the tank reduces the risk. I’d be interested if others share this worry or is just me? Cheers Mark

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. BykerBry

BykerBry Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2017
    Reading, Berkshire
    I used to have this dilemma as I have the bikes and usually SORN all but one in the winter months. My fellow Honda Magna owners in the USA swear by a product called STA-BIL ( it’s on eBay and Amazon) and I have used this in my Magna for the last two winters. I have had no carb troubles and with four carbs that are known to be temperamental I consider this to be a result.
    The problem is that if you leave the tank nearly empty you can get rust in the tank and that is not good.
    It has certainly helped me so I think it’s worth considering.
    Check it out here:
    http://sta-bil.co.uk/

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. BykerBry

BykerBry Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2017
    Reading, Berkshire
    That would stop the chances of rust in the tank but would not stop fuel damage in the pipes and system.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Eastbournemark

Eastbournemark Proud Snowflake

Jun 17, 2017
    Eastbourne
    Half tons post is intriguing. Anyone had any experience of its use?

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. snarly

snarly Active Member

Sep 8, 2013
    Essex
    just got my GPZ back after an expensive carb rebuild and ultrasonic clean due to the ethanol sludging the carbs - they recommend Aspen 4 which is ready to go as an ethanol free fuel from the bottle. Aspen website shows your local suppliers so will be giving this a try.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Fill tank with super unleaded (allegedly free from ethanol), add Redex (or similar) plus fuel stabiliser, run the engine long enough to get the concoction through the carbs (or whatever you have) and Bob's yer uncle.
    Works for me.:)

And before you ask ..... yes, my bike is now on SORN.

• Agree Agree x 1