To Go Pro Or Not!

Discussion in 'Clothing & Gadgets' started by robert moore, Sep 13, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. robert moore

robert moore Nobby

Jul 4, 2021
    Malvern Hills
    Hi, as the search function didn’t return any threads, I expect it’s user error so apologies if this subject has been covered.

whilst out on a ride this weekend I ventured into some fantastic roads and scenery in Herefordshire and thought it maybe good to film some rides.

Can anyone confirm a go pro is the camera to use and if possible places to best mount such a device on a street cup.
    Many thanks
    Rob

• Like Like x 1
  2. Repooh

Repooh Rarely Satisfied

Jan 5, 2018
    Stabby Town
    The two options are really a GoPro or a 360 type camera like the Insta360 the GoPro has the better image quality but it is a single field of view i.e you only capture where the camera is facing. whereas the Insta whilst it has lesser quality you can monkey around with it post production and create all sorts of views, this gets a bit old if you use the cliched ones but what I like about the 360 is if you just mount it and ride and it catches me, fellow riders, overtakes the front the rear the scenery all in one go you need to be a bit of an enthusiast however and invest the time in post-processing. I dont have an Insta360 The chap I ride with does and the output is amazing

• Useful Useful x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. robert moore

robert moore Nobby

Jul 4, 2021
    Malvern Hills
    Something to investigate, it’s always good to have options, thank you

4. Notso

Notso Senior Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Solihull
    You could always test the water and go the way I did with a £30 4k camera off of the famous online store! Managed to mount it neatly on the blanked mirror mounting point using a 1/4" to 3/8" camera mount converter (not quite correct threads but works surprisingly well). The mounting point was spare since I swapped to bar end mirrors.

Thought it could be fun, but as it turns out, I can't be @rsed most of the time!

• Like Like x 2
  5. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    I have tried various on board cameras over time (cheap and not so cheap), however I purchased the GoPro Hero 7 Black and found it out performs all those I tried. It is also compatible with the Triumph Connectivity System. I have mounts forward/rearwards and lower down front and rear, it never fails in delivering perfect footage every time, it is waterproof (no external case required), you can replace the screen if needed unlike a lot on the market. Be guarded about what footage you place on social media however as it can come back to bite you.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Adventure Boy

Adventure Boy Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2021
    Essex
    Rob check out the Drift XL I bought one as the battery life is so much better than the go pros
    really good picture quality easy to use you can get a remote to rear as a watch but the strap is fery small so I mounted that to a bracket on the bars and use it only for still shots whilst on the BMW and as a sort of dash cam when out on the Bonnie mounted to my lid
    as a still camera the battery lasts me 2 says of riding and as a video recorder about 6 hours constant recording, you can buy a In helmet mic if you fancy being a vlogger !! only one draw back ive found is the battery is onboard so you cant carry a spare but 6 hours and my arse is in dire need of a rest !!
    if you want any more info drom me a message and ill give you my mobile for a chat as ive been there LOL
    Rob

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. learningtofly

learningtofly He’s not the Messiah, he’s a very naughty boy!
    Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    Or, you could go for something like the Sena 50C, which not only gives you a 4k camera but also adds Mesh communication, connectivity with your phone for calls.sat nav & music, and top quality audio (both mic and speakers).

Just mount it to your helmet.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  8. Steve O'Connor

Mar 9, 2021
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I am curious about footage coming back to bite you? Do you mean putting images of other people online?

9. learningtofly

learningtofly He’s not the Messiah, he’s a very naughty boy!
    Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    I’d assume it would more likely involve footage showing bikers playing fast and loose with traffic regulations.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Adrian Braithwaite

Adrian Braithwaite Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2018
    Kirkhamgate
    There is no doubt that the Go-Pro footage is good but if anything goes wrong with it, their customer service is absolutely disgraceful, so much so that I and many others I know, will not touch them again!

11. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    Hi Steve, what happens is the Police regularly look at social media sites, this includes Facebook - You Tube etc etc, they gather intelligence from posts and videos that people place on these sites, these can be gangs involved in criminal activity, these gangs, groups and individuals believe they are above the law and will not be caught, normally the trawling of social media by the Police is as I say to gather evidence for a prosecution, the gathering of the intelligence is essential in maintaining public protection, it is also a tool to monitor serious offenders. However if a video is seen that shows for example an individual riding or driving at excessive speed or in a manner that is dangerous or a public nuisance, then this is passed to the roads Policing Unit who look in detail to see if a prosecution is possible. (and yes people do post these types of clips online). Once posted it is there for all the world to see, even if one goes back and deletes it the trail is still there. Ride safe all

• Like Like x 1
  12. Geoff Butler

Geoff Butler Never too old for Biking!

Apr 5, 2021
    Hampshire & Powys
    I have used a Go Pro Hero 5 Black as a dashcam on my bikes for years now and I either use a handlebar clamp for my naked bikes or a fixed mount on the fairing for the other bikes.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0798SBG4L/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_1AJW7163665CDTCCM9PB

All the bikes (with the exception of the LC) have USB-A to USB-C cables permanently charging the camera and I get 7 hours of footage before having to wipe the SD card. A helmet mounted camera would be better for those action shots I guess but mine is mainly used as a dashcam.

13. Steve O'Connor

Mar 9, 2021
    Indianapolis, Indiana

14. Steve O'Connor

Mar 9, 2021
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Oh wow, that seems incredibly dumb to post self incriminating video. I really don't speed much now that I am retired so for me a go pro would be good protection against idiots and bad drivers.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    #15 Iceman, Dec 23, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2021
    It does seem so on the face of it, that said there is a complete lack of consequential thinking for many who post such videos, recently a guy put a clip on You Tube doing 160 MPH, wheelieing and undertaking etc etc, the Police tracked him down through his ignition key fob, have a look online at the following go pro clip that Yorkshire Police released some time back, type in Yorkshire Police Subaru/ motorcycle accident. The footage begins with the Subaru car travelling around a blind left-hand bend. Due to the driver’s excessive speed, it veers on to the wrong side of the road. As the Subaru driver fails to regain control the two collide head-on.The motorcyclist is then catapulted through the air. The victim suffered a broken back, a broken sternum and a broken wrist in the crash. He has since credited the protective gear he was wearing (air bag 1 piece leathers) at the time with saving his life.