To Buy A 2010 Street Triple 675 Or Not...?

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by Nickstreet675, Dec 20, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Nickstreet675

Nickstreet675 New Member

Dec 20, 2021
    Amsterdam
    Hi all, while looking for my FIRST bike the street triple 675 really got my attention. I found a 2010 street triple 675 having a single pipe Akrapovic exhaust fitted. Im curious to know what to watch for buying this one plus... Is this a good option or shall I drop it?
    Any advise is welcome, thanks

Nick

2. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    Hello and welcome :) service history/millage.

3. Nickstreet675

Nickstreet675 New Member

Dec 20, 2021
    Amsterdam
    2nd owner, 20k miles.. serviced yearly

• Like Like x 1
  4. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    It IS a fairly good choice for a novice rider as long as you're sensible and level headed with your approach to gaining experience steadily. In a way it might leapfrog the need to get an "interim" choice with a view to a later 'step up', and the small capacity might be an advantage for insurance, though it IS a high powered machine and easily capable of around 140 mph.

Check it's had the shim check/adjust service done. Another will be due soon at that mileage - budget for it and don't overlook it. Check if it's had the stator and reg/rec changed (can be fragile on this model but more especially on earlier ones). They're not always a fail point but it would be best if it's already been replaced. Make sure there are signs of grease emerging from the drag/drop links on the rear suspension - these NEED to be greased.

A non-R at 20K miles might be looking at a rear shock replacement/upgrade but may not be essential. R models have slightly upgraded suspension & brake components but the basic model is more than adequate for most.

They're addictive - especially the induction howl - and are likely to have been fairly well 'spanked' - fortunately the motor thrives on revs. and is generally very reliable. An aftermarket exhaust may need some tuning work but generally the electronics and fuelling are 'self-learning' and are very tolerant.

Try browsing this forum - your question's fairly commonly asked and answered on there:

https://www.street-triple.co.uk/index.php?action=forum

They are absolutely brilliant bikes, sharp handling, 90 odd BHP in a light, well made package that looks and lasts extremely well if cared for. Arguably the best thing Triumph have produced in the more recent past.

The only thing you wouldn't really want to be doing on it is long distance touring.

WP_20190406_13_07_51_Pro.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  5. Octoberon

Octoberon Crème de la Crème

Jul 2, 2020
    Peak District, Yorkshire
    Welcome, Nick. I have a 2008 675 that I’ve owned for about 8 years. It’s a great bike and lots of fun to ride. Others have said as much as I can regarding purchase advice. All I can say is, find a good one and you’re unlikely to be disappointed. Good luck, and let us know what you buy!

6. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    Hallo Nick :cool: @Vulpes did this for his wife's first bike I believe so may be able to help with this one ;)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Vulpes

Vulpes Confused Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    Hi Nick, welcome. I bought a 2008 (24K kilometres) as a first bike for mrs.V. Things to look out for have been covered previously in this thread - as for a first bike, as AdieP said, as long as you're sensible. When the wife first rode it, having only ridden the fairly tame schooling bikes, she was "rather surprised" :p by the throttle response... Handle with care... up to 4K revs it's a pretty docile machine, up from there not so much. I ride a Speed Triple myself, but find the Street enormous fun to ride. Before mrs. V. was legal to ride it I often took it for a run to keep it happy. It brings out the inner houligan in me.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    I've just remembered something else I should have mentioned :-

Check the wiring loom around the headstock area and especially where the loom goes through a clip there. It's not uncommon for the loom to be damaged in this area as it can be very tight on lock to lock movement and wire breaks in and around this area are not unknown, often resulting in odd electrical 'glitches'.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Hi and welcome......

• Like Like x 1
  10. Nickstreet675

Nickstreet675 New Member

Dec 20, 2021
    Amsterdam

Hi Adie P, thank you for the detailed info and what to keep in mind when buying this 675. I will definitely get around those service points for sure.

As I started my lessons on the MT-07 I do suspect a kind of same response in throttle, but a testride will tell. The MT is nice as well eventhough it has the 2-cylinder, but slightly over-budget.. I’s still prefer the 3-cyl Street triple

Thanks again and I’ll get back when I have my ride!

11. Nickstreet675

Nickstreet675 New Member

Dec 20, 2021
    Amsterdam
    Great! I am getting more and more excited ;)

Nick

• Like Like x 1
  12. Nickstreet675

Nickstreet675 New Member

Dec 20, 2021
    Amsterdam
    Great! I am getting more and more excited ;)

Nick

13. Nickstreet675

Nickstreet675 New Member

Dec 20, 2021
    Amsterdam

Sounds good as a ‘starter’! Ofcourse in the future I’ll be looking for some upgrades but I think this one will be fun to start with.
    Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  14. Octoberon

Octoberon Crème de la Crème

Jul 2, 2020
    Peak District, Yorkshire
    I should also mention that my better half passed her in 2020 and spent a year on my Triple as her first bike. She absolutely loved it.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    Daag Nick. You are very welcome. I think you'll find the Street T. a bit more responsive overall (and a LOT more 'rev happy') than the MT though it probably won't have the same torque caracteristics, of course. One of the great properties of the Street T. is the almost 'Jekyll and Hyde' nature of its abilities. If it's a good one, it will happily trickle through traffic on a whisper of throttle but changed down to second it will take off like a scalded cat with an aural soundtrack that can easily become addictive - and license threatening. I'm, personally, not keen on a three into one but I imagine the soundtrack will be even more pronounced with the system ....... and that's something that won't be universally popular - even in Amsterdam!

Good luck with the search - we will, of course, expect to see the outcome in pictures on here.

Tot zo!

• Like Like x 1
  16. Mrs Visor

Mrs Visor Elite Member

Aug 21, 2021
    UK
    Hi and welcome!

17. David Cooper

David Cooper Triumph Rocketeer.
    Subscriber

Hello Nick.

gump (1).gif