Featured Time To Get The Welder Out!

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Big Sandy, Nov 20, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Big Sandy

Big Sandy WOOF! WOOF!
    Subscriber

Nov 14, 2018
    Sutherland, uk
    My Sprint has no centre stand. I have bought one, but because of the after market cans it won't fit right. So, I use a paddock stand.

I'm going to have to take the rear wheel off to replace the spindle, and the paddock stand will get in the way, so I intend to make a fitting that will go into the bolt holes for the centre stand, and lift that with a jack. I've seen similar bike lifts on eblagg, not expensive, but they seem very, well, unstable somehow. Bike just sits on it... I'm thinking bolted on will be more stable.

Just wondering if anybody else has done this? And if not, shall I take photos as I go along. Might be a while in the making, got a lot on at the moment... But the plan is in place, the parts are bought, just got to get time to get it done!

• Like Like x 6
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Duckadiledundee

Duckadiledundee Peasant First Class
    Subscriber

Jun 24, 2019
    High Peak
    Definitely post photos of how you progress and how you manage to work it out..I'm very much into anything where people have a go and try fabrication of any kind and am looking at a cheap welder to have a play myself at things..
    Good luck with it mate..

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Eldon

Eldon Noble Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    Two ratchet straps (or x1 long one) off a stout tree branch, preferably an horizontal one, would be a quick fix to replace the spindle :p

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Big Sandy

Big Sandy WOOF! WOOF!
    Subscriber

Nov 14, 2018
    Sutherland, uk
    MIG or stick? MMA inverter stick welders have come down in price a lot over the last couple of years, most have digital display too... £100 will get a decent one, but you may need to read Chinese ;) Hyundai do some decent ones, sub £100 if you shop round.

My mig is getting on for 20 years old, good for the thicker stuff. Might invest in an inverter myself....

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Big Sandy

Big Sandy WOOF! WOOF!
    Subscriber

Nov 14, 2018
    Sutherland, uk
    Agreed, but the lawn under the trees isn't the best place to park a bike. It's a bit soft... Or under snow the last few days. Or pissing down. (I know, excuses excuses) The shed I park in isn't strong enough to support from the roof, or I would have been tempted to use the ratchets!

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Cyborgbot

Cyborgbot Elite Member

Jul 5, 2017
    Surrey
    Not knowing the first (or any other) thing about welding, does the inverter type ‘un-weld’ what a normal welder does?

;):p:rolleyes::joy:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Big Sandy

Big Sandy WOOF! WOOF!
    Subscriber

Nov 14, 2018
    Sutherland, uk
    I like that... There are a few things I would like to unweld.

My understanding is it uses less power to do the same job.

They take the AC power and turn it to DC, then 'invert' it or switch it through a transformer to provide a more controllable and stable welding current.

Because it runs through a transformer they generally have a longer duty cycle... You can weld for longer periods.

I've not used one yet... I'm tempted though. They are a lot smaller... My MIG is heavy, the gas bottle is heavy, an inverter weighs a couple of kgs, no gas, and quite often will run off an ordinary plug socket, and many will even run off a genny. A few of my friends have them, they say good things. I'm deffo tempted.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Duckadiledundee

Subscriber

Jun 24, 2019
    High Peak
    Inverter is what I'm looking at then as no gas required...I seen a 90 amp one by sealey for £100 which I would have bought if I had not ran out of pennies...
    I've just come across a 130 amp one for £70 which may possibly be Chinese...

I'm not very knowledgeable about welding...had a go when I was a young lad and that's as good as my welding experience gets...

I would only be doing smallest of fabrication type welding so I don't think I need anything to big and bulky

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Ron Ashurst

Ron Ashurst I came into the world screaming & covered in blood
    Subscriber

Would the shed be strong enough to hold a couple 2 x 6 side braces and a top piece in place for the straps?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. MadMrB

MadMrB Senior Member
    Subscriber

Dec 24, 2018
    Northamptonshire, UK
    Ratchet straps that brings back memories :worried:, I used straps from the garage rafters when changing the rear shock on my Street Triple...

IMG_20190831_161837879.jpg

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Eldon

Eldon Noble Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    @Duckadiledundee for best advice you need to state what your likely tasks with the welder will be?

A newby welding a 1.6mm mudguard for example with a cheap stick (MMA) welder, inverter or not, would not be pretty or particularly strong :confused:

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Big Sandy

Big Sandy WOOF! WOOF!
    Subscriber

Nov 14, 2018
    Sutherland, uk
    Probably... But not as much fun as making something... ;) :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Ron Ashurst

Ron Ashurst I came into the world screaming & covered in blood
    Subscriber

I have an old Lincoln buzz box arc welder. Made an arc furnace out of it once.
    Was a damned blast. Until the bronze exploded and went past my face. Then I for a face shield.
    I melted fire brick with that thing. Oh good times. :)

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. feckless

feckless Senior Member

Apr 16, 2019
    Cumbria
    I would steer clear of MMA welder for doing bike stuff, the arc is fairly fierce and is great at making large holes in thin metal.
    A MIG welder is a better option or if funds will allow got for a TIG welder a very versatile piece of kit for frames and exhausts etc

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Big Sandy

Big Sandy WOOF! WOOF!
    Subscriber

Nov 14, 2018
    Sutherland, uk
    TIG would be good. But I for one won't be welding anything on any bike. My welders are for fabrication of bigger things, Land Rover chassis parts (a lot), tractor parts, gates, that kind of thing.

Just fancied a wee project that may (or may not) make my life a wee bit easier. :)

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Eldon

Eldon Noble Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    I have an ac/dc TIG which will weld any metal. These cost a bit so not probably within the scope of this discussion.
    A small dc only TIG will do anything but Ali and is significantly cheaper and a viable option for you. With gas you have a means (with practice) to do thin section finer projects. Swap the leads and without gas you have a stick (MMA) set which with 2.5mm rods will have a reasonable duty cycle (@ about 80 - 90 amps) and be very capable for gates, tractors and trailers etc.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Big Sandy

Big Sandy WOOF! WOOF!
    Subscriber

Nov 14, 2018
    Sutherland, uk
    I tried welding Ali with TIG. Spent more time trying to get it working right than actually welding. :) Ali is not something I mess with on a regular basis, glad to say. I wouldn't describe myself as Lloyd's class A in the welding department, proficient, to mot standards.

I was looking at an inverter welder that would do TIG too, if you bought the extra bits... It may come to that, buy the basic set up and get the extras when funds allow.

"Funds allow".. That right there is another reason why I fancy making a lift for the bike. Plenty of metal to play with here... Okay, a bought jack/lift is only £30, but where's the fun in that?!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Cyborgbot

Cyborgbot Elite Member

Jul 5, 2017
    Surrey
    #18 Cyborgbot, Nov 21, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
    I love all this man talk.

I only ever get to hear about TCP/IP protocols, bit rates and Cloud architectures.

I almost feel confident enough to wear a pair of greasy dungarees and have a tattoo of Muva written on my knuckles.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. feckless

feckless Senior Member

Apr 16, 2019
    Cumbria
    I have done very little Alu welding with TIG but made a career of welding with TIG, MIG MMA and my favourite has always been TIG welding pipes I love it you can create beautiful welds

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Duckadiledundee

Subscriber

Jun 24, 2019
    High Peak
    @Eldon I got some 2mm galvanised steel plate that I'm making a template out of to attach that RS speedo gauge to..then I'm going to attach that to the old st front fairing bracket I chopped up...I could bolt it on temporarily but think a bit of weld would be better..

Plus I may need to improvise an exhaust bracket later which may require a bit of welding...

• Agree Agree x 1