Time Saver For Headstock Bearing Adjustment

Discussion in 'Thunderbird' started by Hack Driver, Sep 2, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Hack Driver

Hack Driver Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2017
    Denton, Maryland USA
    Hi Folks - I'm in the process of prepping my bike (2014 T-Bird Commander) for a week at the Ocean City, Maryland Bike Fest. One of the items on my very long to-do list is tightening the headstock bearings. The sidecar stresses them, and if they are even slightly loose, I get an exaggerated wobble in the front end. The job is much more complicated and time-consuming (not hard) than it should be thanks to the designers and engineers not working closely with each other. :mad: After you remove the front shrouds and headlights, and disconnect all the wiring, you are supposed to remove the controls and cables from the handlebars. I'm kind of lazy, and I decided to put a hook in the ceiling of my workshop and hang the handlebars with all of the controls and cables attached. I simply rolled the bike back a few inches and I can easily access the top yoke to remove it. I thought I would pass this along if others wanted to try it. If you keep them at the right height, there isn't any stress on the cables or brake line. My apologies if something similar has already been posted or discussed in the past.

T-Bird_Prep_Handlebars_Small_Size.jpg

• Like Like x 4
    • Useful Useful x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Or a glamorous assistant to hold things for you. :p
    Like your thinking tho ;)

3. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    Hi Hack Driver,
    I have done similar when I service my fork's to do oil change's , and did exactly what you show when I changed my Head stem bearings ! It's a really easy method to make a two man job a solo effort ...

Cheer's capt.

• Agree Agree x 1