Time For Some Servicing?

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by DanielB, Oct 30, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. DanielB

DanielB Noble Member

Jan 13, 2019
    Abingdon, Oxfordshire
    Hi All, me again...

2002 Speed Triple 955i. 28000miles...

I commute daily, only about 20 mile round trip, but a mixture of fast A roads and urban/traffic/filtering.

So, I have had an idling issue...when sitting in traffic (engine warm) the revs can dip...but can dip enough to stall...happens maybe every two to three trips out...

I have noticed when stationary and see my headlights...they brighten when I rev. Then dip slightly as revs drop. No ancillary electrical devices are on (no heated grips on).

Twice since yesterday I have pulled away hard, and going from 2nd to 3rd there was a very brief loss of power (almost like the engine "stuck") then picked up quickly...almost throwing me over the handlebars (I guess I was accelerating, but momentarily the bike didn't!) - and for about a half second the engine mgmt light came on. Then it turned off.

Seems fine afterwards...no mgmt light after that.

This happened once when all was warm and seemingly fine.
    Then again this morning about 2 mins in to a cold morning ride.

The manual maintenance tasks due - that are beyond my competency:

• Throttle body synchronisation
    • Check secondary air injection system(?)
    • Check/adjust valve clearances
    • Check cam chain
    • Check cylinder compression
    Recent oil, filter, plugs, air filter, coolant, new battery...and all seems ok...

Am I experiencing symptoms of those maintenance tasks being due?

All thoughts and opinions welcome! :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. feckless

feckless Noble Member

Apr 16, 2019
    Cumbria
    if they haven't already been done I would suspect that the, throttle body sync was overdue. can you find someone local who could plug it in to tunecu and maybe do a TPS reset as that could be a quick fix

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. DanielB

DanielB Noble Member

Jan 13, 2019
    Abingdon, Oxfordshire
    Thank you feckless...

No, this has not been done...

Anyone near Abingdon, Oxfordshire that fancies a tea and a bacon sandwich that can perform this IT/ECU magic...?

For my educational journey...what does the throttle body sync "do", and therefore cause if not done? :neutral:

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. DanielB

DanielB Noble Member

Jan 13, 2019
    Abingdon, Oxfordshire
    So...there's a mobile mechanic, who is brilliant, who'll do me a full day that covers all of those service due items I listed above. About £370. Plus...he gets me hands on...so I 'do it'; he guides me through.
    Or...
    Local triumph dealer it's £190 to get to, check, adjust the TPS...(apparently there's a bit more to it on 'my' model) ...