Tiger Trouble

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by billyandmollysdad, Jun 22, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Hi all

I've recently bought an 11 plate Tiger 800 ABS, which i've rapidly fallen in love with.
    I'm having an issue with it though, and wondered if this was a common thing with this model.
    The battery keeps going flat if i leave it stood for more than 2 days, it has no alarm fitted and only other thing fitted are heated grips, which i have disconnected, but the problem still persists.
    Is there an issue with rectifiers etc ??

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    If it is the original battery it will likely be time expired and simply not hold a charge.
    If you have a multimeter start it up and check the voltage between the battery posts. At tickover it will hover around high 12 to 13 volts and jump up to 14 ish on a blipped throttle. That will tell you if the problem is the battery or charging system.
    Otherwise charge it disconnected and see if still loses charge (don’t reconnect!) over 48 hrs.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    Triumph standard fit batteries are pretty rubbish so if it's still on the original battery it's doing well. Stop complaining. ;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Yup check battery first and even if the readings are good stay suspicious. If replacing it look at one with a greater cca
    Also, somewhere on here is a simple run through to check reg and rec

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Cheers guys, i've managed to get it up and running this morning, so it's gone back to the dealers. I only bought it 3 weeks ago, so they have agreed to look at it under warranty, but only after me spitting my dummy out a bit as they originally said they wouldn't repair it.
    Just got to wait for the call now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. In my own world

In my own world Senior Member

Dec 22, 2018
    West Sussex
    Keep us updated

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. thanks mate, will do

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1