Tiger Sprag Clutch Disagnosis And Repair

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by TheThing, May 16, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. TheThing

TheThing Member

Nov 27, 2016
    Colchester, Essex
    Hey guys.

Got a bit of a problem with the old steamer. I think I've knackered the sprag clutch. It's a 96 Tiger. Makes a nasty noise when trying to start. Sounds like a bag of ball bearings in a cement mixer. I've had the starter motor off and it's got all it's teeth. The sprocket it meshes with also looks good. Can't find anything metallic in the oil. Unfortunately I don't have the removable plate to get the the sprag. Is there a way to diagnose the problem with the engine in the frame or will I need the engine out ?

I read somewhere there is a spring that fails but it's not a part you can order. You have to have the whole clutch assembly at £££££'s :(

Any advice would be welcome.

2. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    • Useful Useful x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  3. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    Wow, that's much easier than fixing the spray clutch on my Laverda ! It had 7 individual springs, one behind each roller !

4. t552

t552 Senior Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Bristol UK
    If you need help in doing the job (engine out) Clive Woods t3 masterclasses could be a great help. He strips a motor down to the spray and also strips the spray showing you all you need to know.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. TheThing

TheThing Member

Nov 27, 2016
    Colchester, Essex
    That's some great info. Thanks guys.
    Unfortunately it is going to be the crank case split to repair but at least I can find a replacement spring for the clutch. Just need to read up and check gaskets/seals required etc and clear a space on the bench. (Think that might be the biggest job :D ). Fingers crossed I don't find anything else on strip down....

• Like Like x 1
  6. t552

t552 Senior Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Bristol UK
    #6 t552, May 17, 2018
    Last edited: May 17, 2018
    If you are happy to go ahead with the job remember no need to take the clutch apart to split the cases. Myself I would fit a new sprag. All the effort to take it apart I wouldn't want to take the risk.

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. TheThing

TheThing Member

Nov 27, 2016
    Colchester, Essex
    I have been thinking along the same lines. I'm not sure how long I intend to keep the bike. I have been thinking of getting it going again then putting it on the market. Obviously a new sprag clutch would be a winner for a new owner, but not sure if I want to chuck another wad of cash at a bike I may not be running long. I think I'll break it down, evaluate the sprag, clean everything up, throw a can of paint at the plastics and give the lump a good clean then rebuild. Should look a lot better than at present. (It's not currently very pretty :) )

8. TheThing

TheThing Member

Nov 27, 2016
    Colchester, Essex
    Well. The engine is out and on the bench. Is it a bad idea to turn the engine upside down to work on it ? I have built a cradle to hold it right side up but attacking the bottom of the engine would be a lot easier if it was inverted. Any opinions welcomed. :)

9. TheThing

TheThing Member

Nov 27, 2016
    Colchester, Essex
    Ok.
    Seems I misunderstood the Haynes manual. Think I'm going to have to start from the top and strip the engine down to get to the sprag. This could be a more expensive and technical job than I had at first thought. Might be a longer term project. I can check everything as I strip it and see what needs doing.
    Gonna give this bike a good going over I think.

I'm also gonna have to look into Clive Woods T3 course.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    I think you should be able to strip the bottom end without stripping the top end, just that some of the bolts are on the top of the crankcase.

Check the crankcase bolt placement on here :-

http://www.worldoftriumph.com/triumph-motorcycle-parts.html

For your particular model ( year & VIN ).

• Useful Useful x 1
  11. t552

t552 Senior Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Bristol UK
    No need to strip the top. Clive wood just uses a wooden bench.

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. TheThing

TheThing Member

Nov 27, 2016
    Colchester, Essex
    I can confirm you can remove the sprag clutch by splitting the crank case and leaving the top of the engine intact.
    The lead time on a new sprag clutch is about a month and a half so I'm going for a spring replacement for now.
    The rubbers for the tiger forks are also out of stock so I went for a similar sized rubber pattern part for a ZX7-R. Seems like a reasonable fit but it is slightly wider so sits slightly higher in the grooves machined into the clutch.

Now I need to check which gaskets/seals I need for the rebuild. Get them ordered up and hopefully rebuild the gearbox.

Also need to order a new engine pickup sensor because I knocked mine off when rotating the engine to get to the timing marks. (Doh!).

• Like Like x 1