Tiger Flashing Headlight & High Revs

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Ben Hollis, Sep 7, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Ben Hollis

Ben Hollis New Member

Sep 7, 2019
    Uk
    2014 Tiger 800. Once hot the headlight flashes (pulsing high/low fast and not relative to revs), and idol increases to 2,000rpm+. Only thing I’ve done recently is remove exhaust baffles but that that was a couple of months prior to the fault starting. Any ideas? Thank you

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    Hi Ben, and welcome in :cool::cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    Welcome Ben, I think you need to get yourself set up with Tuneecu then you can see if there’s any fault codes stored.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Ben Hollis

Ben Hollis New Member

Sep 7, 2019
    Uk
    Thanks Freck, I took it to my local garage (non triumph dealer) and they plugged it in and no fault codes. They did a factory reset on mapping as a precaution but no joy. I live on the Isle of Wight and we only have one triumph dealership who, because of the captive market, aren’t very helpful (I.e. “we can try a few things that will cost £700+ and might not work or you can buy a new one” - helpful!)

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    It sounds to me like variable alternator output (effectively a blank spot as it rotates) or a bad wiring connection/rectifier issue. They can be awkward to track down.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Leeroybadger

Leeroybadger New Member

Jan 9, 2020
    Plymouth uk
    Hi have you solved your problem now?
    My bike has also developed this problem today today

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Get your rectifier/regulator checked, have you noticed a difference in engine noise, if so does it increase when fogs or heated grips are on?

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Leeroybadger

Leeroybadger New Member

Jan 9, 2020
    Plymouth uk
    Hi matey, no change in engine noise but when the bike is warm it will idle at 2000rpm, the battery charges at 14.5v but then the battery is struggling to start the bike after you turn it off.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Have you checked the battery voltage under load, it may still charge but might not hold it, if it drops significantly the battery might well be fooked. I had this problem which also included none starting after a stall, replaced the OEM battery for a higher CCA and ampage this one just over 2 years ago, immediately noticed easier turning over and easy restarts after stalls and have had no problems so far. Battery change is always the easier way to start fault finding. If you know someone with a similar battery you could always do a swap and see if there's an improvement

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Leeroybadger

Leeroybadger New Member

Jan 9, 2020
    Plymouth uk
    I personally think the battery is fooked,
    But why in January? story of my life I will replace it this weekend and let you know. Thank you for your help.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Leeroybadger
    Yes the old cold weather does put more load on the battery. Make sure when you get the new battery to tickle charge it to full charge before fitting.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Well, I hope it’s only that, good luck and let us know how you get on

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Leeroybadger

Leeroybadger New Member

Jan 9, 2020
    Plymouth uk
    Good morning everyone,
    Great news! I have solved my issues after checking the full charging system the only problem was the battery.
    It should good voltage however it just no longer had the capacity. So new battery and problem solved
    Thanks for you help it’s very much appreciated

• Like Like x 5